Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Added to the collection

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:49 am

Well after many months swapping components, chasing rattles, doing preventative maintenance and generally faffing about, I am (hopefully) running out of ways to feed my hobby with wifey's 2.5i.
So thoughts turned to the looming winter months and how I'd keep busy. Started doing a little looking around and discovered this little beauty.
2.2i in Sapphire Black, owned for the last few years by an elderly couple who don't have a decent knee joint between them and have decided that rather than be found starved to death in their car, they'd better pass it on to someone who could look after it.
It's been garaged and maintained regardless of cost. New front suspension (struts, springs, top mounts, wishbones, drop links), front brakes (calipers and discs), clutch, CCV system, four brand new tyres less than 1000 miles ago, even put a brand new Bosch battery with 4 year warranty on it only last month!
To be honest, it felt more like I was mugging them!
The 65 mile drive home was a pleasure. What a well sorted little car!
I shall be looking to do a few little improvements, tidy up the interior, swap out the scratched and chipped door pull handles etc. I shall also do the DISA and VANOS, check out the ICV etc.

However, I have a slight quandary: I cannot decide whether I like the wheels or not.
They are genuine AC Schnitzer 18". Never seen them on a Z4 before. First sight I thought they'll have to go, but every time I look at the car they seem to suit it more.

So what's the general consensus from you lot? Like or hate?

I would not be averse to doing a swap if someone took a shine to them...............
30 Jul 21 - 8.JPG
30 Jul 21 - 8.JPG (221.02 KiB) Viewed 857 times
30 Jul 21 - 9.JPG
30 Jul 21 - 9.JPG (173.37 KiB) Viewed 857 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

M1k3yC

Added to the collection

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:01 pm

I can take or leave the wheels, to be honest. I've seen some good refurbs on 108s where the outer is a different colour to the centre star. If done right, that looks good and might also suit these. However, if these are rare and worth money then I would personally flog them and buy something different. At one time I was looking for split rims (108s) for my coupe but the more tatty ones I saw and issues I heard about with taking them apart, lacquer peel, and so on, the more I was put off. The same things would worry me about these.

Nice E85, though. :thumbsup:
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:03 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:01 pm I can take or leave the wheels, to be honest. I've seen some good refurbs on 108s where the outer is a different colour to the centre star. If done right, that looks good and might also suit these. However, if these are rare and worth money then I would personally flog them and buy something different. At one time I was looking for split rims (108s) for my coupe but the more tatty ones I saw and issues I heard about with taking them apart, lacquer peel, and so on, the more I was put off. The same things would worry me about these.

Nice E85, though. :thumbsup:
Cheers.
I have similar concerns, and would not want 108s for exactly that reason.
These are actually bare polished outers, so it'll be out with the autosol and then seal them.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:23 pm

Daylight-Robbery.jpg
Daylight-Robbery.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 829 times
you know my views!

thats a great addition to the fleet

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Zulu4

Added to the collection

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Well done :thumbsup:
Sounds like there isn't too much to tinker with.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:40 pm

Zulu4 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 pm Well done :thumbsup:
Sounds like there isn't too much to tinker with.
Oh I'll find something. :wink:

And then, when I believe it to be sorted, I shall hand the wife the keys and she'll come back with a list of rattles and squeaks that my ears (after 30-odd years of jet noise) can't hear: and we'll start all over again. :roll:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm

They look ok but it’s the added aggravation when they start to corrode that would stop me from keeping them.
Sell them on & buy some elipsoids for it 8)
4D0E4CB6-9FBA-4B84-A38B-7DF0B64830D9.jpeg
4D0E4CB6-9FBA-4B84-A38B-7DF0B64830D9.jpeg (163.26 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm They look ok but it’s the added aggravation when they start to corrode that would stop me from keeping them.
Sell them on & buy some elipsoids for it 8)
4D0E4CB6-9FBA-4B84-A38B-7DF0B64830D9.jpeg
Rob
More or less my thinking Rob.
Funnily enough, was talking to Stuart (Bigwinn) about ellipsoids only yesterday.

Big Bad Boris

Added to the collection

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:32 pm

Another vote for107 ellipzoids. Had them on my previous E85 20i.. undoubtedly the best part of the car :D

I believe.anything AC Schnitzer is pricey, so a swap out may not prove too expensive.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm

Dont forget that with a car of that build date, you can retrofit stuff...

Cruise, heated seats....

:poke:

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm Dont forget that with a car of that build date, you can retrofit stuff...

Cruise, heated seats....

It has the heated seats. Cruise? Hmm yes could do. So the loom is in there already? Apart from fitting the switch then, any other work needed?
I'm still chuffed by the fact it's a genuine Star Wars car................first registered May the Fourth.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:40 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 pm
bigwinn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm Dont forget that with a car of that build date, you can retrofit stuff...

Cruise, heated seats....

It has the heated seats. Cruise? Hmm yes could do. So the loom is in there already? Apart from fitting the switch then, any other work needed?
I'm still chuffed by the fact it's a genuine Star Wars car................first registered May the Fourth.
Yeah loom is there

You just need a switch and a cowling- which I think you can dremel the hole pre-cut anyway

Memory seats….

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:40 pm

Cruise, heated seats....

Yeah loom is there

You just need a switch and a cowling- which I think you can dremel the hole pre-cut anyway

Memory seats….
Ha! Just Ebay'd the cruise stalk! That might slip down the list a bit.

Memory seats? Oh yeah, forgot about them. :roll:

BumpyZ4

Added to the collection

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:07 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:40 pm

Cruise, heated seats....

Yeah loom is there

Memory seats….
The cowl already has the outline of wear you need to dremel molded in to it. Color inside the lines and it's an easy install.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Added to the collection

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 pm

You’ve got too much bloody time on your hands :lol:

Congratulations on the new addition and the next round of earache from Val :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)