Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2003 Z4 convertible issue

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ssfisher

Post by ssfisher » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm

replaced top motor tested fine off the car and now no power? Tested fuses and trunk micro switch. Any other ideas?

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 pm

Red cable in the boot.

Push it and turn it to get it back in.

Parcel shelf not seated properly in the boot. Turn both the knobs to lower it.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:36 am

I managed to damage my trunk micro switch and had to tape it closed permanently. Not sure why bmw deemed it necessary to have a raising and lowering parcel shelf in the first place as you don't really gain much boot space.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 am

ssfisher wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm replaced top motor tested fine off the car and now no power? Tested fuses and trunk micro switch. Any other ideas?
What condition is the loom in to the top motor

I have cable breaks in mine may be worth a check to see if its snagged, the quality of the cable wasnt great; had degraded with time
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

ssfisher

Post by ssfisher » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Thanks for your help. It was the truck micro switch was not "completely" depressed.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm

If I had a pound for every time I’d had that issue

At least a tenner I reckon

:D
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

ssfisher

Post by ssfisher » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Replaced the motor and hydraulics on 2003 Z4. I tested the top before putting in. It went up and down. Installed the top but now it will go down but not up. Any ideas? What did I miss?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:27 pm

ssfisher wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:06 pm Replaced the motor and hydraulics on 2003 Z4. I tested the top before putting in. It went up and down. Installed the top but now it will go down but not up. Any ideas? What did I miss?
Is it now in the boot, at a greater angle?
Did you top up the fluid?
When you first run it, it self bleeds, so the fluid level drops.
If you only filled it to the '+' mark on the reservoir it is possible the extra angle in the boot, plus the drop in fluid level, is uncovering the inlet port. Usually his makes the motor sound very noisy.
Stand the motor upright and fill the reservoir until it spills out the top. Don't worry, when you put it back at an angle you will still have an air gap.
Try it then and see if it works.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

ssfisher

Post by ssfisher » Fri May 05, 2023 2:01 am

Got the top to work some what. starts and stops and will not latch at the top. It will latch in manual mode?
Does it need to be re learned or some thing? Calibrated?

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Fri May 05, 2023 4:24 pm

Given what you posted. 1st, take a cable off of the battery for a half hour, then reinstall. This should reset your car's system. Afterwards retry top.

If this doesn't do anything

You actually pulled the top, correct. You did the motor/pump, as well as new hydraulic lines. When doing this did you do the hinge lifters as well??? There are 4 sensers for the top which tie into the convertible controller. Two of these sensers are on the hinge lifters and two are located at the front of the top where it meets the windshield. These basically tell the convertible controller the location of the roof during movement. I strongly suspect an issue with either one or more of these sensers or the convertible controller itself. In that, your top isn't locking up at the windshield which strongly suggests that the convertible controller doesn't know the location of the roof.

You should consider using a code reader since these issues might have caused a code.