Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Coolant Air Bleeding Advice needed

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:18 am

Further to my earlier thread - have just refreshed my system coolant and confused about the various topics I have read on bleeding the air from the system. When re-filling, I removed the air bleeder cap and filled until coolant ran from the bleeder hole. I ran engine to temperature until air bubbles stopped coming from bleeder hole. I let engine cool down to cold and then checked fluid level and topped up to correct level according to manual but when removing bleeder cap screw again I notice the level in the bleeder was way below the top. My question, when coolant level is at correct level at the filler cap should fluid emit from bleeder when cap unscrewed.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:42 am

I dont think it will but I'll stand corrected- thats my experience when cold I wouldnt expect fluid loss from the bleeder?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:46 am

Not sure why you'd remove the bleeder cap screw again?
Surely just check it using the float in the expansion bottle?
When I did ours I noted that it did drop a couple of times over the first few days.
I have read that this can be due to the last few air pockets gradually shifting.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:07 pm

I removed again to examine fluid level in bleeder hole - I assumed (probably incorrectly) that with all air gone the fluid level would be at the top of the bleeder hole. Probably I'me getting a bit paranoid about leaving air in the system so confirmation that this is normal will help me sleep at night.