Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery drain

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
parabolica

Battery drain

Post by parabolica » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Car wouldn’t start at the weekend after a week of sitting; battery was dead flat. Charged the battery, car fired back up. Been using it a few days but once again, car is dead. Haven’t check the battery yet but 99.99% it’s the same issue.

Best case it needs a new battery - fine. But mind started wondering - what if the alternator is goosed instead? Or some other parasitic drain. I can’t think of anything that would drain the battery so it’s either the 10 year old battery or a knackered Alt.

How can you test the alternator? Would it throw a code on Carly maybe? Don’t fancy spending £££ on a new battery only for the same to happen again within a few days.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Battery drain

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 pm

Hi bud

You ok?

Think it’s worth double checking you have nothing switched on at all- I fell foul of the sidelights

After that it’s worth checking the amps not volts on the battery- but would be surprised it degraded that quickly unless you have an alternator on the way out

Ive in the past rigged a volt meter inline to see what the drain is on the battery when it’s all locked up- google what it should be drawing in that state then if it’s higher pull fuses until you find the culprit?

Not fitted anything new recently?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

parabolica

Battery drain

Post by parabolica » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Hey bud,

No, nothing new fitted. Double checked everything was off when I refitted the battery. Found a thread on here from a few years back -someone had the exact same issue and it was the alt. Just looked up a test on YouTube so going to get stuck into it tomorrow - after my dad comes and gets me with a spare battery so I can get home!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Battery drain

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Saw on another thread which is worth a search

Instead of replacing the alt look also at replacing the back part of the alt (can’t remember for the life of me what it’s called) hold on
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Battery drain

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Found it

Firebobby was talking about testing and replacing the regulator

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Battery drain

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 pm

EWS Delete PM me

parabolica

Battery drain

Post by parabolica » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:11 pm

:thumbsup: