Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does your Z4 overheat ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
portculisz4

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by portculisz4 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Just completed a full system flush and re-fill with new coolant and took the opportunity to inspect the condition of the A/C and Coolant radiators. Horrified to find an enormous amount of road and vegetation debris jammed between the two radiators, must have lost about 10-15% of the cooling area. With a bit of poking around and help from a flat spray from my worx hydroshot I managed to clear most of it but will never be completely sure until I can get the two radiators apart (not sure how difficult this is without disconnecting A/C hoses). Can this be the source of many of the overheating problems I read about ??

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:11 pm Just completed a full system flush and re-fill with new coolant and took the opportunity to inspect the condition of the A/C and Coolant radiators. Horrified to find an enormous amount of road and vegetation debris jammed between the two radiators, must have lost about 10-15% of the cooling area. With a bit of poking around and help from a flat spray from my worx hydroshot I managed to clear most of it but will never be completely sure until I can get the two radiators apart (not sure how difficult this is without disconnecting A/C hoses). Can this be the source of many of the overheating problems I read about ??
The only overheating issues I’ve read were due to failing electronic water pumps or coolant loss due to split header tanks? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

dhobbs

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Not forgetting the rotting radiator fan wiring, stops the fan running. As the connector on the top of the fan points down it collects water and eventually rots away. Easy fix if you know.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

zriha

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by zriha » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:15 pm

I also heard that preventive, you can change all the hoses and expansion tank, as they can break easy and the engine can overheat.
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 pm

I wasn't aware over heating was a common problem. Always good to have the knowledge on here for those people that do come across it though. :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:13 pm

I did mine as a matter of course as a 100,000 mile treat :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Does your Z4 overheat ?

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:09 pm

When I first bought my 3.0i I replaced my M54 (mechanical) water pump and stat due to a marginal overheating issue only to find that the engine started to overcool due to the new stat being faulty. Aaarg.
yet another new stat solved the issue for good. Been problem free ever since.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.