Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Third Brake light

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sinky

Third Brake light

Post by Sinky » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:49 pm

I noticed that the middle part of my rear boot brake light doesn’t light up .
Would i need a replacement brake light or is it made up of individual bulbs you can change ?
Thanks

Justjudgeit

Third Brake light

Post by Justjudgeit » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:26 pm

Is this E85? I replaced mine a couple of months ago, it's a sealed unit that has lots of LEDs. Mine was falling apart when I removed it (old plastic). You can get new units from Amazon or eBay for about £25 and they are straightforward to fit - the £25 ones are not OEM so not sure how much it would cost for a genuine part. My one works fine though. When you install the new one tighten it gradually from the ends as you need to bend it slightly when you tighten it up to fit the curve of the boot

Roberltd2

Third Brake light

Post by Roberltd2 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:54 am

As above. I got mine from China (I think the company was called Autofashion) about two years ago. As with Justjudgeit, the new item didn't quite sit flush with the boot lid but I decided not to tighten it too much as I didn't want it to split down the middle as the old one had. So it does mean that it stands proud at the ends.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Roberltd2

Third Brake light

Post by Roberltd2 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:57 am

As above. I got mine from China (I think the company was called Autofashion) about two years ago. As with Justjudgeit, the new item didn't quite sit flush with the boot lid but I decided not to tighten it too much as I didn't want it to split down the middle as the old one had. So it does mean that it stands proud at the ends.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

rdgreen

Third Brake light

Post by rdgreen » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:11 am

Roberltd2 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:57 am As above. I got mine from China (I think the company was called Autofashion) about two years ago. As with Justjudgeit, the new item didn't quite sit flush with the boot lid but I decided not to tighten it too much as I didn't want it to split down the middle as the old one had. So it does mean that it stands proud at the ends.
Make sure you seal the gap or you will be up for a new amplifier (if fitted) when water fills the battery recess. The cheap light will then become VERY expensive.
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.