Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft touch up drivers side window

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:09 pm

So I have tried all three procedures on the forum but my problem persists.

The drivers window will soft touch down but not up. There is no click from the relay in the door for the first touch. Only if I hold it manually will it raise.

The passenger side works fine.

Whilst trying to reset the drivers door it even stopped working at all, so I suspected the switch. I stripped it down and found no evidence of corrosion or failure.

Tomorrow I will plug it into ISTA D to test the GM5 module.

Any ideas from you guys?
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

Dark Diggler

Post by Dark Diggler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:19 am

Mine was doing all sorts of funky moves on the drivers side, it rarely did as it was told, I was on the verge of buying a new switch. Before I spent any money though I removed the switch unit and stripped it down, I cleaned all the switch contact points and rubber bits with contact electrical cleaner and a cotton bud, allowed to dry and put it all back together. It was quite fiddly but it worked a treat and has been fine since.
I didn’t remove the circuit boards, this should help if you fancy having a go https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3t3azzGNaAM

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 am

After disconnecting the battery, I generally have to try the reset procedure multiple times before the driver's one-touch up works. Sometimes during this the module seems to give up and the windows stop working but after leaving it for a bit they come back to life.

One time I noticed that there was an error code stored. After clearing it, the reset procedure worked straight away.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:25 am

Ok guys thank you for your help. I cleaned the switch as per Dark Diggler, it was filthy but to no avail! I then carried out procedure number 1 which then worked. I was going through the procedure allowing the window to come all the way up every time. No.1 details you to stop approx 4 inches then raise. This worked like a charm. :thumbsup:

Here are all three procedures in case someone finds this post with the same issue. They were taken form another post but might help someone in my position.

Annnnnd relax! 8)

PROCEDURE #1
To de-initialize the windows:

Close both doors.
Lower both windows completely.
Immediately push the window switch down 4 times within 10 seconds.
Check that the automatic one-touch is not working.
To initialize the power windows:

Connect a battery charger to the vehicle. You don't need this step
Close both doors and the soft top (or hardtop installed).
Lower both windows completely.
Raise windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Lower the windows 100 mm or approximately 4 inches.
Raise the windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Close the windows using the one-touch feature function and ensure that this works correctly.
Check the anti-trap function by inserting a plastic rod with a diameter greater than 6 mm in the left side window between the door window and the soft-top/hardtop and then close the window with the one touch function. If the function is OK, the anti-trap function will respond.
Repeat step 8 above for the right side window.
Clear the "scaling fault" stored in the General module.
Note: Any brief interruption in performing the above steps may require for the entire initialization procedure to be repeated.

**********************************************************************************

PROCEDURE #2
Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer

**********************************************************************************

PROCEDURE #3
Basically, BMW's power windows have a "position memory," which tells them where the window should be in the opening & closing sequence. Sometimes, if that sequence is interrupted, or if the battery is disconnected, or even for no apparent reason at all, they can simply "forget" where they are, and need to be re-set. This happend from time to time in my MINI, but since the window action in the Z4 is tied to the top opening & closing, it seems to be a bit more prone to occasional confusion.

But the good news continues! Barring some major mechanical malfunction, this is usually nothing that requires a trip to any dealer, nor anything more than about 30 seconds of your own time. Here's how easy it is:

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, "Remember where we are now? Good."

- Roll window back up, and release switch
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:03 pm

I assume you have the GM5 coded for the one touch window up? I would at least double check it. I had the same issue and it turned out to be a bad window relay in the GM5.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:08 pm

BumpyZ4, as my last post all sorted. It was as a result of me disconnecting the door card with all switches.

I was doing the reset as per No.2 and 3 above. It was No.1 that worked.

I was looking at the GM5 unit as my next culprit with INSTA D

Thanks for the heads up👍
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:33 am

Reamesy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:08 pm BumpyZ4, as my last post all sorted. It was as a result of me disconnecting the door card with all switches.

I was doing the reset as per No.2 and 3 above. It was No.1 that worked.

I was looking at the GM5 unit as my next culprit with INSTA D

Thanks for the heads up👍
Thanks Reamesy.
After disconnecting the battery to do numerous jobs recently I've tried various window reset procedures with variable success. Particularly problematic is resetting the one touch-up function on the driver's door.
Procedure No.1 worked first time for me just now (without having to reset a fault code).
Previous:

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42 pm

Glad it helped. I got the info from this forum 😎👍
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:49 pm

You just reminded me that I need to do this too :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

the_don46

Post by the_don46 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:14 am

Can passenger window on e85 be set to auto go up? Mine only goes auto down. Driver auto up and down.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:46 am

the_don46 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:14 am Can passenger window on e85 be set to auto go up? Mine only goes auto down. Driver auto up and down.

Yes it should be able to, if the above methods don't work then it may need coding with NCS Expert (or other equivalent).
Previous:

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:49 am

the_don46 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:14 am Can passenger window on e85 be set to auto go up? Mine only goes auto down. Driver auto up and down.
Yes it can. Not sure if this applies to all MYs and wether some cars need programming but others please correct me. After the battery has been disconnected a short reinitialization is needed: Open window holding the switch down until a click is heard, close window pulling and holding the switch up until a click is heard, repeat a few times without break.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:09 pm

You have to code the GM5 for "auto up". Easy to do with NCS Expert or BMW Scanner 1.4.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)