Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Installing bluetooth music “bluemusic” connector to CD changer

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi all, so I’m trying to fit one of these:

Bluetooth Audio Interface for BMW E46 E39 E38 X5 E53 X3 E83 Z4 E85 CD changer connection 3 + 6 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0773MX7BG/ ... CBVBPB8CE4

I’ve started trying to get the carpet lining out of the boot and it’s a PITA! Got the 3 plastic rivet clips out but now trying to remove the push on clamps on the left hand side. Any tips? After this does it simply pull out or is there more to it? Trying to remove it without removing the side linings. Did initially try removing them but there seems to be another clip of some sort under the plastic trim above them.

So I don’t have a CD changer in the car but have Pro nav and factory TV. Anyone know if the factory TV setup uses the CD changer connectors or will they be free?

Also any tips on finding them if the connectors are free? Read loads of posts where people have struggled to find them. Apparently they’re taped to the body work behind the amplifier?

Should probably add it’s a coupe which is why I seem to be struggling. Loads of info and videos on the roadster but coupe doesn’t appear to be too much apart from “bills web space.”
Last edited by Mos6689 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

frazell

CD changer 3 & 6 pin connectors used by TV option?

Post by frazell » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:56 pm

The 3+6 connectors are nothing to do with TV/NAV and are completely separate.

The changer option has the changer unit in the centre console, sat under the nav disc unit so you'll find the cables for it almost directly behind that area on the back of the bulkhead. I accessed mine from the boot by pushing the top of the boot panel down out of its top runner and pulling it forward. My cables were slightly to the right of centre.

Hope that helps.

tonyz4c

CD changer 3 & 6 pin connectors used by TV option?

Post by tonyz4c » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:18 pm

i also have a coupe and i start from the bottom left of the trunk
removing carpet one after another ( i had to remove the light on the left
as well) until i reached the panel that hide all equipement (amp, gps, bluetooth)
the plugs were taped to a main loom but were easily located

i have done that some years ago to install an intravee unit
and brought since the same amazon unit but i was leazy
to install it
my next holidays in 2 weeks may be a good time to install it 😀
:driving: Z4MC Carbonschwarz - Caramel
Database of M /3SI http://perso.numericable.fr/tonyz4c

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:50 am

frazell wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:56 pm The 3+6 connectors are nothing to do with TV/NAV and are completely separate.

The changer option has the changer unit in the centre console, sat under the nav disc unit so you'll find the cables for it almost directly behind that area on the back of the bulkhead. I accessed mine from the boot by pushing the top of the boot panel down out of its top runner and pulling it forward. My cables were slightly to the right of centre.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply. That did help me with getting those clips that attach the back lining to the left hand side lining. Pulled the back lining down away from where it sits under the pull cover, as the plastic rivets were all out. Then I could just about stick my hand in & pull off the clips without bending the lining too much. Good tip!
tonyz4c wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:18 pm i also have a coupe and i start from the bottom left of the trunk
removing carpet one after another ( i had to remove the light on the left
as well) until i reached the panel that hide all equipement (amp, gps, bluetooth)
the plugs were taped to a main loom but were easily located

i have done that some years ago to install an intravee unit
and brought since the same amazon unit but i was leazy
to install it
my next holidays in 2 weeks may be a good time to install it 😀
I probably went about it the long way as I was trying to only remove the back lining, not the sides. Would still do it the same way again if I had to because taking the sides out just involves taking apart so much more of the trim.

Connectors were easily located though. I removed the amp from its bracket, nothing, then I had a silver box similar size to the amp next to it. Removed this from its bracket as well (literally one 8mm nut) & the wires were taped down to the floor just behind it. Not a lot of reach on the wires & amazon delivery was a day late so I just tucked them alongside the battery so I could plug the device in as soon as it arrived next day & leave the tidy up for another time.

Just connected it up when I got home & did a quick test & it works a treat!!! Volume is slightly lower on the device but not like others have reported, where when you switch back to radio it’s ear popping. Probably 85% of normal volume if I had to put a number to it.

Honestly a must if you haven’t installed intravee or dice! Even if you have I think this should make people think about swapping. Would be nice to have track info on screen, which the intravee gives you, but I have that dated excuse for a display folded down 95% of the time. Other thing that put me off the intravee option is you still have to have your phone plugged in to a connector (from my understanding anyway). This is nice & easy & wireless! Best cheap mod by miles so far!

frazell

Post by frazell » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:55 pm

Glad it helped.

I have the same bluetooth unit in my car and think its great for the price.

I've also installed a WIFI hotspot and Echo Auto up front which works through the bluetooth adapter. Its pretty good to be able to stream digital radio and spotify from my phone "alexa play kisstory". The steering wheel buttons will also spin you through the spotify tracks which is a nice touch.

abar121

Post by abar121 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:24 pm

I guess if you have bluetooth telephony, you'll have to choose between the bluetooth units, but not both at the same time?
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

frazell

Post by frazell » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:32 pm

You just ensure the mobile phone settings uses the car telephony bluetooth for calls and your bluetooth changer adapter for music. Echo auto can use whatever bluetooth input or aux input you like, so it just plays through the adapter. It all just works.

Echo auto will give you nav directions over the speakers from your google maps too but as I generally keep my phone in my pocket its not that easy without having directions on a screen.

Bigpow

Post by Bigpow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:14 pm

I fitted an aux in-line behind the stereo with a Bluetooth usb input. It took 20 mins and works great
Z4MR - Sapphire black.imola.carbon.19" csl's.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Moved topic to general E85/6.

Shadbolt83

Post by Shadbolt83 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:26 pm

Reviving this thread as I'm having issue with install. I have found and located 3 and 6 pin in the boot and connected blue music device. However when selecting mode on unit I just get "no magazine" displayed and it switches back to radio.

I can find the dongle on my phone, but the head unit doesn't want to recognise the dongle for output.

I have the high power 10 speaker set up, business pack and sat nav. Non DSP variant, so should work.

Any thoughts?. I've tried cycling ignition and disconnecting and retrying. But no joy 🥹
3.0si E85 Roadster 2009 - Ruby Black :D

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:12 pm

Shadbolt83 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:26 pm Reviving this thread as I'm having issue with install. I have found and located 3 and 6 pin in the boot and connected blue music device. However when selecting mode on unit I just get "no magazine" displayed and it switches back to radio.

I can find the dongle on my phone, but the head unit doesn't want to recognise the dongle for output.

I have the high power 10 speaker set up, business pack and sat nav. Non DSP variant, so should work.

Any thoughts?. I've tried cycling ignition and disconnecting and retrying. But no joy 🥹
Maybe there's another connector to disengage, as that reads as though you haven't totally disconnected the CD changer and its still seeing it as an option.
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Shadbolt83

Post by Shadbolt83 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:06 pm

inkey$ wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:12 pm
Shadbolt83 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:26 pm Reviving this thread as I'm having issue with install. I have found and located 3 and 6 pin in the boot and connected blue music device. However when selecting mode on unit I just get "no magazine" displayed and it switches back to radio.

Maybe there's another connector to disengage, as that reads as though you haven't totally disconnected the CD changer and its still seeing it as an option.
Managed to solve it. Weirdly having something connected to the iPod connection in the glove box cleared the no magazine message and went on to connect and play from the bluemusic dongle in the boot.

I won't pretend to fully understand it. But sound quality is much better the the aux solution I had, and it's working. so I'm happy.
3.0si E85 Roadster 2009 - Ruby Black :D

jock156

Post by jock156 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:18 pm

:thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:26 am

Great result. Albeit it slightly strange :thumbsup: