Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A ridiculously cheap clutch mod that has transformed my E85 driving experience!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
yipikayee

Post by yipikayee » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Its something that was bothering me since i got the car.. so happy i saw this thread. i have put an order in, thank you sir :thumbsup:
04' 3.0i

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:34 am

Whether you take the DIY or off-the-shelf approach, it's a very cheap mod and I'm pretty sure many people will feel the difference. Prior to making this mod I was unaware of previous threads on this subject and that aftermarket stops even existed! :wink:

Regarding Liam's comment about the biting point moving with temperature, I too have seen comments from various sources about this. I can't quite figure out what might cause this, but I guess it could be worn linkages, leaking slave/master cylinder seals, old brake fluid or air in the system. Anyway, following Liam's advice I took mine out for a spirited drive yesterday, just to check! :thumbsup:

Another benefit of removing the clutch pedal dead space is that I have been able to move the seat further back. As I mentioned previously, I'm also in the process of fitting seat runner spacers to improve thigh and lumbar support. The spacers themselves are now fitted, but having the front of the runners raised 30mm off the floor looks odd. I'm currently finalising the design of some 3D-printed blocks to fit around the spacers to fill the gap and improve the appearance. When I've finished I'll post details of the components used (safety being a prime design aim) and the STL files for the blocks.
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:33 am

Conrod wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:34 am Regarding Liam's comment about the biting point moving with temperature, I too have seen comments from various sources about this. I can't quite figure out what might cause this
I always put it down to thermal expansion, as you've got the entire clutch hydraulic system next to the engine/gearbox.

https://www.q8oils.com/general-industry ... the-risks/

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:48 am

Interesting article Liam.

The funny thing is that my previous toy was a Cobra replica with a 383ci (6.3l) Chevy V8, which produced bucketloads of heat under the bonnet. The clutch and brake master cylinders and the fluid reservoir were all sited near the RH bank of headers, but I never experienced any movement of the clutch biting point. Mind you, the hydraulic brake light switch was a consumable item, as it was sited immediately above the RH headers and only around 20 cms away! :o
Alan

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:50 am

Oh, and for good measure the clutch slave cylinder was sited in the hot airflow stream from the LH bank of heaters! :wink:
Alan

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:25 am

Half the problem with the Z clutch is its not adjustable and auto adjusts regardless of the wear point it should work as it did originally.

Mine is quite high so feel like my foots in my mouth, on my previous Z4M it was really low and was lovely to drive think the CDV is still installed too to the bite point on engagement is ok but the declutch its quite high and laggy so... bit annoying

Seems like its a problem loads of threads online.

JamesClements

Post by JamesClements » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 am

Just ordered one will see what difference it makes :thumbsup:
2006 Sapphire Black E86 3.0si | 108's, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach Springs
2007 Carbon Black E85 2.5i | 19" NAD alloys, Pilot Sport 4S, strut brace, Stubby, ZHP, Brembo 4 pots, Greenstuff pads, Alcantara retrim, roof motor in boot
2022 BMW G80 320D Touring

thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:37 pm

I seem ok in finding the bite point on the clutch, and being tall like being able to get the clutch pedal right down to the floor (let’s me stretch my leg), but the 1st to 2nd change really needs smoothing out, so will have a go at removing the CDV.

Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

SGRG

Post by SGRG » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:52 pm

Ordered Robbs clutch stop and dare i say this is probably the most noticeable improvement. I did the CDV delete in early June but I saw no big difference/improvement. Shift from 1st to 2nd required a-lot of concentration before and after. On occasion i was still "kangarooing" like a newbe. Item arrived today, installed it and went for a drive. It genuinely feels like it has resolved shifting issues for me. Early days but damn should have done this before spending money on CDV delete which again dare I say is likely having placebo effect on most of us rather than actually fixing the issue most of us are experiencing.
Current:
Z4MC 2007
Porsche Cayenne 2019 (Black / Bordeaux Red two-tone leather interior)

Previous:
X5 40D 2011
E92 M3 manual 2011
Z4 3.0 2003
Honda Prelude 2.2 1997
Honda Civic Coupe 1995

jamiecarpenter

Post by jamiecarpenter » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Ive just fitted my clutch stop, after ordering it off the Ebay link. Unfortunately the thread is not the correct size to screw in. So unsure on how the M one is different, its quite possibly the same. To rectify this I used some plumbers tape and wrapped it around the thread. It now fits fine. Havent been out for a drive with it installed yet, so cant tell you how it performs.
Silver Grey 3.0 si 06. Retrofitted sat nav, Cruise Control, Intravee, Door Cards and Heated Seats.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:11 pm

Mine arrived this morning so will get it fitted tomorrow and feedback 👍🏻

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:54 pm

jamiecarpenter wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:51 pm Ive just fitted my clutch stop, after ordering it off the Ebay link. Unfortunately the thread is not the correct size to screw in. So unsure on how the M one is different, its quite possibly the same. To rectify this I used some plumbers tape and wrapped it around the thread. It now fits fine. Havent been out for a drive with it installed yet, so cant tell you how it performs.
Mine is the same. It should have an M10 thread but the new part is only 9mm dia and I am not sure it is a thread or a ribbed push fit type of thing. I think I will get a coach bolt and adjust it just how I like it.

SGRG

Post by SGRG » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:01 pm

jamiecarpenter wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:51 pm Ive just fitted my clutch stop, after ordering it off the Ebay link. Unfortunately the thread is not the correct size to screw in. So unsure on how the M one is different, its quite possibly the same. To rectify this I used some plumbers tape and wrapped it around the thread. It now fits fine. Havent been out for a drive with it installed yet, so cant tell you how it performs.
Jamie, Robb sales M specific and non m specific clutch stop it seems. I bought this one, where the thread end is flat.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254978733765

Where as this one based on picture I can see on eBay the thread has a pointy end. So they must be different.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254974452955

Message him, he is quite responsive.

EDIT: just realised that he is using generic picture on all products. Best bet is to message him.
Current:
Z4MC 2007
Porsche Cayenne 2019 (Black / Bordeaux Red two-tone leather interior)

Previous:
X5 40D 2011
E92 M3 manual 2011
Z4 3.0 2003
Honda Prelude 2.2 1997
Honda Civic Coupe 1995

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:18 pm

Mine also turned up today, so will try and find some time this weekend to fit and try out.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:44 pm

Mine came yesterday from robsclutchstops.
The thread is too small and does not tighten in the hole.
I will message him at the weekend. :headbang:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten