Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A ridiculously cheap clutch mod that has transformed my E85 driving experience!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Conrod

Post by Conrod » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:46 pm

Evening all.

When I acquired my E85 last year I found it difficult to get consistent smooth gear changes from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. The abomination known as the Clutch Delay Valve was speedily removed, and although it improved things the clutch still didn't feel right, but I just put it down to a quirk of the car.

My son finally had the chance to drive it yesterday, and he straight away commented on the clutch - so I decided I now had to get to the bottom of it!

The problem is that there is far too much travel on the pedal between the fully depressed position and the biting point. Depending on the seat position, I often found my left heel lifting off the floor during gear changes, which is what was causing the inconsistent clutch control.

The clutch pedal stop is a plastic disc with an M10 thread, which screws into a metal threaded hole in the floor. I figured the solution would be to lengthen it in order to reduce this excess travel, and this proved to be ridiculously simple.

I had some 30mm M10 hex sided connector nuts which I'm using for some mods to the seat runners (more on that when I've finished!). I used a chop saw to cut it down to 20mm, then screwed the pedal stop into it (after cutting off the tapered end which serves no useful purpose). I screwed a 30mm length of M10 threaded rod into the other end, followed by an M10 nut to lock against the connector nut. I then refitted this modified pedal stop into the threaded hole.

After testing that there was still a safe margin of travel between the fully depressed and the biting point, I set off for a test drive.

The difference was absolutely phenomenal - the clutch is now exactly as it should be! The reduced travel also means that I can move the seat back more, which will further help with my seat runner mods.

I aim to get some half height M10 nuts so that I can make the length of the pedal stop adjustable, and will post some photos when I've finished the job.

This has to be the cheapest and most rewarding mod I've ever made to a car! :)
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:32 pm

I also removed the CDV and installed an adjustable clutch pedal stop. It makes a huge difference!
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Yep, I have a clutch stop too, I know you can rustle one up fairly cheaply but you can also buy them ready to use for about 15 quid on ebay, I bought this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254978733765 ... SwOGtgqOcQ
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:36 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:17 pm Yep, I have a clutch stop too, I know you can rustle one up fairly cheaply but you can also buy them ready to use for about 15 quid on ebay, I bought this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254978733765 ... SwOGtgqOcQ
I ordered one of these this morning and the seller asked if I really wanted the Z4M type or regular Z4 type as they are slightly different. I have a regular Z4 and advised him of that fact. Kind of the seller to take time out and make sure I got the right product. He also said there has been a bit of a sales surge :) . I had another look on ebay and found this for regular Z4s and thought it may help out some people. I see they a sell a large range of stops including the E89 and other BMWs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254974452955 ... Sw85hgqOiL

hashluck

Post by hashluck » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:29 pm

I had the same experience with the seller (we have 2 Z4M Coupes one my own and one coming up for sale) and indeed it was nice of him to check. He said he had had a run on them, I pointed him at this thread to explain why :)

@conrod - I am quite local to you commuting between Kidlington and Newbury - thanks for the tip, I love the Z4M except for the clutch!

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Please educate me on this 'Clutch Delay Valve', ie where is it located and how do you remove it ??

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:05 pm

hashluck wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:29 pm I had the same experience with the seller (we have 2 Z4M Coupes one my own and one coming up for sale) and indeed it was nice of him to check. He said he had had a run on them, I pointed him at this thread to explain why :)

@conrod - I am quite local to you commuting between Kidlington and Newbury - thanks for the tip, I love the Z4M except for the clutch!
I messaged the seller yesterday to see if he sold a z4 e85 specific one,he messaged me back quickly to say he did but couldnt post a link in the message.
I have now ordered one. :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Rocket wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:36 am
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:17 pm Yep, I have a clutch stop too, I know you can rustle one up fairly cheaply but you can also buy them ready to use for about 15 quid on ebay, I bought this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254978733765 ... SwOGtgqOcQ
:thumbsup:
I ordered one of these this morning and the seller asked if I really wanted the Z4M type or regular Z4 type as they are slightly different. I have a regular Z4 and advised him of that fact. Kind of the seller to take time out and make sure I got the right product. He also said there has been a bit of a sales surge :) . I had another look on ebay and found this for regular Z4s and thought it may help out some people. I see they a sell a large range of stops including the E89 and other BMWs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254974452955 ... Sw85hgqOiL
The seller is great, i only linked that one because its all he had listed at the time.. mine is for the e89 and he actually made more than one for me as a development one as he didn't actually make one for the e89, he'd actually made 3 until I was happy with sizing and fit
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:26 pm

Great info and ordered :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks for info just bought one too 👍🏻

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:25 am

portculisz4 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:25 pm Please educate me on this 'Clutch Delay Valve', ie where is it located and how do you remove it ??
See here and this thread.

Regarding the eBay seller suddenly witnessing a surge in sales - a similar thing happened when I spotted an eBay seller offering NOS Aston Martin DB7 fly-off handbrake levers a few years ago. I realised that they were identical to those used on the Jaguar XJS, which are difficult to get hold of secondhand and are used in various AC Cobra replicas. After posting the link on the UK Cobra Club forum, they quickly ran out of stock (60+), and must have been wondering why on earth the world and his wife suddenly wanted a DB7 handbrake lever! :D

Back to the clutch stop. One issue with all of the extended ones I've seen is that they have flat tops. This works for the standard one, but once you lengthen it the circular plate on the clutch pedal is now at an angle to the clutch stop plate, which I guess probably isn't too much of an issue. However, it also means that a lateral stress is now placed on the clutch stop shaft, which might be an issue for those that have plastic threads. So a rounded top would be better.

I've already designed my Mk2 version - an M10 coach bolt (with a domed top), with a cut down double yellow dot squash ball stuck on top for cushioning. Total cost - 20p for the bolt and M10 nut, plus an old used squash ball that's been lying around in a drawer for donkey's years! I'll cut the bolt down to the appropriate length tomorrow, and will post some photos.
Alan

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:53 am

Alan, like many I am very interested in your threads and keen to do a DIY version myself. Can you tell me in either of your fixes (Mk1 or Mk2) what you increased the stop length by ?? For your first fix my guess would be about 25mm, am I on the right path ?? Your comment on the change of angle of the head of the stop is interesting, the design of the ebay versions must also suffer from the same change of angle discontinuity but do not seem to compensate for it.

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi again.

Change of plan - my son informed me that my DIY services weren't required today after all, so I've completed the Mk2 pedal stop!

Here are the basic components (an M10 coach bolt and an old squash ball) and the completed item:
Clutch Pedal Stop.jpg
Clutch Pedal Stop.jpg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
The lighting doesn't really show it, but the inner surface of the squash ball is an exact fit for the domed head of the bolt - they're bonded together with contact adhesive.

The shortest M10 bolt length commonly available seems to be 50mm - mine was 65mm and I cut it down to 40mm (from the underside of the head to the end of the bolt). This gives a nice level of adustment by varying how far the thread is screwed in before the lock nut is tightened.

The original stop has a 9mm deep head, plus a further 17mm (10mm M10 thread plus a 7mm taper). So the operative length is 9mm. The modified stop has an overall length of 50mm. There is around 17mm of thread depth in the floor socket, so that gives an operational length of 33mm (fully screwed into the socket) to 45mm (screwed 5mm into the socket). The difference in pedal travel is, of course, greater than this as the pedal is further away from the fulcrum than the stop.

The original has joined the CDV in the collection of removed parts that can, if necessary, be refitted. My car is an ultra low mileage example, and I aim to keep all my various mods reversible should I want to return the car to its original standard state. But for as long as I own the car, this is one mod that's definitely staying - the car is now an absolute pleasure to drive. I don't know what BMW were thinking with the large "dead space" and the CDV - I'm guessing the engineer concerned was also responsible for the siting of the hood pump/motor! :wink:
Alan

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Thanks for the photo and the stop length dimensions. You could fill the cut-off squash ball head with a silicone compound (such as bathroom sealant) and solidly seal the coach bolt head into it.

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:13 am

I have one of these but it's bigger (and heavier) than it needs to be.
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Gift-Ideas/ ... -Stop.html
ClutchStop_WM.jpeg
ClutchStop_WM.jpeg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Be warned, when adjusting, that cold and hot clutch travel is different. For a perfect setup, do it after some hard driving :driving: