Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cat write off

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Cat write off

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 pm

Evening

A view please- I’m looking at a fairly good spec 3.0 E85 that is cat c (now cat s)

Would you?

What’s overall impact on price and resell?

Does it impact insurance

Appreciate a view from anyone in the know

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Cat write off

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:01 pm

I think the accepted wisdom says 30-40% less than a non-cat car…due to the risk you’re taking, the potential extra to insure it (less companies will quote), and the loss you’ll also see when you come to sell it.

But even then you’d want decent documentation of what the damage was and how it was repaired…as some people would take the insurance payout, but the salvage and repair it as cheaply as possible to get it off their hands as soon as possible.

If you’re buying it from the owner who had the claim, repaired it, and subsequently kept/driven it for many miles afterwards, then it’s probably a better buy than one that’s changed hand every 6 months since it was written off 5 years ago (for example).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Cat write off

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm

mmm-five wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:01 pm I think the accepted wisdom says 30-40% less than a non-cat car…due to the risk you’re taking, the potential extra to insure it (less companies will quote), and the loss you’ll also see when you come to sell it.

But even then you’d want decent documentation of what the damage was and how it was repaired…as some people would take the insurance payout, but the salvage and repair it as cheaply as possible to get it off their hands as soon as possible.

If you’re buying it from the owner who had the claim, repaired it, and subsequently kept/driven it for many miles afterwards, then it’s probably a better buy than one that’s changed hand every 6 months since it was written off 5 years ago (for example).
Crikey that much

Ok- appreciate the view, helps balance the risk
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Cat write off

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:08 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 pm
mmm-five wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:01 pm I think the accepted wisdom says 30-40% less than a non-cat car…due to the risk you’re taking, the potential extra to insure it (less companies will quote), and the loss you’ll also see when you come to sell it.

Crikey that much

Ok- appreciate the view, helps balance the risk
Well, it depends on the value a bit too.

If it’s at the lower end of the market, then 20% might be closer (at the £3-£5K range)…whereas at a low mileage, expensive end you might see the higher % (at the £10k+ range).

As I said, it would depend on the damage and the quality of the repair…and then weigh up what the lowest value you can see for the same car that’s undamaged/unrecorded.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options