Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ash tray removal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thespannerman

Ash tray removal

Post by thespannerman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:38 pm

Sorry guys, but done a search and there are a few on this topic, but not completely clear to me.

The lid won’t stay down on my Ash tray/lighter and I can see from the searches about the spring that controls this, but what I can’t see is how to remove this section on the center console. I can see one screw under the removable ash tray part. So, how do I get this part out.

And, was there an option to not have the ashtray/lighter and have more storage instead. If so what’s needed (mines beige colour interior trim)

Cheers
Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Ash tray removal

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Single screw out (don’t drop it)

Then you can pull the front of the ashtray unit (including the switches) up and out

Suggest using plastic trim tool over screwdriver and be very careful- the underside of the unit has sharp stuff on that will scratch your dash for fun

Several things can go wrong under there- mine wasn’t the spring it was an electrical wire snagging
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

maxman

Ash tray removal

Post by maxman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:03 pm

You will probably find a small coin trapped in the mechanism.

thespannerman

Ash tray removal

Post by thespannerman » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:34 am

Cheers guys. Will go take a look later

Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

thespannerman

Ash tray removal

Post by thespannerman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Ok sorted. Looked like a small peg/pin was missing from the gear quadrant that engaged in a toggle part. Fixed with a cut down 2mm round nail :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Al

Trav

Ash tray removal

Post by Trav » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:36 pm

I did the same a year back. I wish I had taken some photos as I did it. Glad to see someone else found the same repair for themselves. Such a pleasing repair once done.
Z4MR A.W.

MichaelK

Ash tray removal

Post by MichaelK » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:33 pm

What I hate about removing such things is the plastic construction means it's easy to break tabs etc.
I removed my gearstick surround and some plastic tabs broke, it now doesnt stay secured down properly, one of the tabs held a metal spring clip part :headbang: