Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replacing headlight lenses

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cod pickles

Post by cod pickles » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:10 am

Good morning all!

As my headlights are looking tired, I've bought some new lenses but before I take a hammer to the seals, has anyone had any experience of them at all? Was it straight forward or did you end up just buying whole new headlight units?

I've seen lots of places online that sell them so I figure it must be fairly common but I've seen no helpful videos on how to swap them out on a Z4 (2003).

And yup, I did try the headlight restoration kit... .worked for a bit I also have a misting up problem so think that new lenses might take care of that situation too.

thanks all! - Paul

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:48 am

I think it’s general consensus that it’s replace the whole unit although some have managed to get the lenses off by popping them in the oven- not what I’d recommend!

When you used the restoration kit did you reseal the plastic with an anti uv lacquer?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

cod pickles

Post by cod pickles » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 pm

thanks Bigwinn =)

No I didn't use the uv anti laquer on the restoration kit. I don't know as the kit came with it... hmmm.

Since I posted earlier, I called my garage as the MOT is up in a couple of weeks and asked them about replacing the lenses. The chap was fairly familiar with the process of getting a heat gun onto the lights to swap the lens so for now, I'm going to let him have a go and see what we get. I've also done some looking around a potential new units too... so I sort of hope he fails and I have to treat myself to new lights.... we'll see. =)

thanks again, much appreciated! =)

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:47 pm

cod pickles wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 pm thanks Bigwinn =)

No I didn't use the uv anti laquer on the restoration kit. I don't know as the kit came with it... hmmm.

Since I posted earlier, I called my garage as the MOT is up in a couple of weeks and asked them about replacing the lenses. The chap was fairly familiar with the process of getting a heat gun onto the lights to swap the lens so for now, I'm going to let him have a go and see what we get. I've also done some looking around a potential new units too... so I sort of hope he fails and I have to treat myself to new lights.... we'll see. =)

thanks again, much appreciated! =)
No worries matey

Good luck with the MOT
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

cod pickles

Post by cod pickles » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Cool, thanks. I’ll update whether or not the lens thing works or not.... if only to ask for recommendations on new units ;) cheers!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:01 pm

:rofl:

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm

They ain’t cheap

EWS Delete PM me