Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Testing Driving

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
stal023

Testing Driving

Post by stal023 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:12 pm

I've test driven a number of Z4, have researched common issues but these are so low to the ground that the only place you can get under them is the rear, plus most the underside is protected by covers and you can't see anything. Best way to really have a look at these? Tips and suggestions would be fantastic.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Testing Driving

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Get it on a ramp. If you're looking to buy just make a pre-sale inspection part of the deal.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

stal023

Testing Driving

Post by stal023 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:43 pm

Well if I am meeting the seller at a gas station, I don't have access to a ramp. Say I do have access to a ramp, most the bottom is covered up. Then what?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Testing Driving

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Why are you meeting at a gas station?

Does the gas station have facilities to put it on a ramp, and is the current owner happy for you to remove some of the underside panels (there aren't a lot, and you can probably see signs of corrosion/damage from what you can see without removing them.

But what you have to expect will also depend on the price you're paying...so a $5,000 car will not be expected to be in as good a condition as a $15,000 car.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

stal023

Testing Driving

Post by stal023 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:09 pm

Understand on price. Most don't want to meet at their house, which I get.

Say the owner is okay with me taking off the panels, what are areas of concern for this generation? I understand rear springs can be an issue. What am I looking for to know if they are decent or not? Also I know control arm bushings tend to go bad, again, what specifically am I looking for to know if they are decent or need replacing? Much appreciated everyone.

Zulu4

Testing Driving

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:38 pm

I wouldn't buy a car from someone who will only show it to me at a gas (petrol) station.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

brillomaster

Testing Driving

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Indeed, in the uk at least its perfectly normal, indeed expected, to view a car at someones house. That way you can check that the car is registered to that address and that its not stolen.

Cant help you on inspection, but mostly i go on service history and the bits i can see. Rust isnt really a problem for z4s, thats where id want to do a full chassis inspection. Or check the last mot for advisories.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Testing Driving

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Find a mechanic, meet there, get it checked over.

If they're not willing, you have to ask why.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Testing Driving

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 pm

I assume you’re in the States?

Most of the suspension, brake lines etc you can see without removing the covers. Are you able to carry a jack in your trunk to lift up the side of the car? Oil leaks you can generally see under the hood, and oil problems by removing the filler cap. Paint, bodywork, wheels, tyres and interior you can tell just by looking, engine condition by listening, and many other issues by taking it for drive, keeping an eye on the gauges and and any warning lights.

Of course, none of the above is a substitute for getting it properly checked over by a mechanic.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Testing Driving

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:17 pm

I think most of it has been covered already.

But depending where you are in the States it may not be an issue. Anyway in the UK the rear brakes pipes often suffer from corrosion. They run under the floor on the passenger side of the car (not sure which side they will be on a US car) inside a plastic cover, but it ends a foot or so in front of the rear wheel and road debris gets lodged in the end of it holding moisture which causes the corrosion.

If you can't take a jack or get it on a ramp maybe parking a rear wheel on a curb would raise the car enough to allow you to see them.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

stal023

Testing Driving

Post by stal023 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:22 pm

Yes, I am in the states. I guess taking a jack wouldn't hurt. Still not sure how to know if the control arm bushing and rear springs are good or not?

What about the heater control valve? I know post facelift the water pump is a known issue. Is this just once it goes out, it goes out, or any symptoms before it goes? What about the vanos solenoids? PVC?

Thanks again, I am learning as I go!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Testing Driving

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:51 pm

The only one I have experienced is the facelift water pump.

And when it dies it's game over! My first Z4 had the pump die at 60K miles and my E91 325i with the same N52 engine had one die at 135K miles. Both were over-heating within a mile, so no significant warning. You can drive them a bit further but they will go into limp-mode.

Maybe useful as a negotiating factor if you look at one that hasn't had a new pump. In the UK an OE Pierburg pump costs around £250, although BMW charge over £500! :o
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Bunnyboileravoider

Testing Driving

Post by Bunnyboileravoider » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 pm

@stal023 - is there no alternative to viewing the car at a petrol station? For one thing, I always specifically ask the seller in advance, to make sure the engine is cold when I first see the car:

1) I want to see how well it starts!
2) blue smoke on start-up (walk away signal) invariably eases after 10 minutes, disguising if there’s a serious issue in the engine, exhaust or exchanges,
3) I like to see where it’s been stored/kept. If the owner looks after wherever the car’s kept, there’s a good chance they look after the car (anyone can fake a log book stamp)
4) oil on the garage floor or driveway are a dead giveaway

Sounds like you may have no choice on where you go to see the car, but even then, nothing to stop you asking the seller to make sure the engine’s cold. If nothing else, it allows you to poke around without burning your hands 😂.
You only live twice. I'm on my 2nd.

Toys: (Audi Q7 2018, BMW Z4 2006, Ferrari 348 Spider 1994, Le Mans Noble 1971)

stal023

Testing Driving

Post by stal023 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm

@ Bunnyboileravoider
This is a REALLY good point and one that I will keep in mind. Thanks for this!!

stal023

Testing Driving

Post by stal023 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:46 pm

I did some research and found how to tell if these parts are no good, etc.
Control Arm Bushings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJQpe50WBg

Rear spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPnt2M7fkQ

Vanos: (start at 1:30) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK_xuwkArJ4
https://bmwtuning.co/diagnosing-a-faili ... os-system/

PVC: (skip to 1:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xwZLJKR-A
https://www.completeautomotivesystems.c ... -in-a-bmw/

I also found this to be informative for those with a manual:
https://www.breakerlink.com/blog/mainte ... s-way-out/

I found this in another post and I am wondering what this is all about????
"Bolts that hold the splined inserts into the ends of the hollow camshafts were upgraded in early 2007.
There's a 100% failure rate on earlier ones. It's about a $1600 fix if you catch it before the engine grenades.
I know because my car had that failure when I bought it, but I didn't yet have the wisdom of this forum.
Sounds like marbles ratting inside a coffee can."