Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Some General Electronic Questions

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:53 pm

So, without knowing too much about bmw, I of course have a couple questions. I have a 2004 bmw z4, and I was wondering:
- What can the dealer turn on and off? Specifically, if my vehicle doesn't have flashing lights when locking and unlocking is that something the dealer just has to turn on?

- Are there error codes stored in the seat sensor? and if so, how would I get those clear? to clarify, my dad has told me numerous times that there are error codes stored in the seats and that's why my heated seats aren't working. Does that have to be done by the dealer, and is that even a thing or no? He read some forum somewhere about it...

- Is there an easy way to tell if your vehicle came with Bluetooth? For example I have seen many forum posts saying that if you have the SOS and other phone buttons, which mine has, but I have no idea how to setup the bluetooth if it really does have it, and is that also something the dealer can/has to turn on

- Lastly, I know that all the 2004 z4's came with the same wiring harness, despite not having the same electronics, therefore there are cords not plugged in at all. Anyways, Is it normal that the computer throws a code about these missing things? In example, I have no footwell lights, and there is a code about open circuit. Additionally, I dont think I have bluetooth, but there is a car TELEFON code, and I know for other car brands they wouldnt throw a code because of a missing option, so Just Curious about if thats normal for BMW's?

Sorry if any of those questions werent clearly stated, I didnt know exactly how to explain them. Thanks for any help!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:09 pm

There are loads of options that can be coded using just Carly.

Things like flash on locking, beep on locking and/or unlocking, turning auto-locking on or off, 3 flash indicators being the ones I can remember from when a forum member did some coding on my car.

Here's a link to forum members who have Carly:- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=97818

But I don't think Carly is much use for reading and/or clearing fault codes, although some of those with Carly have other software too like ISTA or INPA.

If you did a search on a VIN decoder site (assuming you can find one that still works) you'd get the full OE spec for your car - that would tell you if it had Bluetooth.

I don't know about fault codes for missing options though as none of mine had the full wiring loom!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:21 am

- What can the dealer turn on and off? Specifically, if my vehicle doesn't have flashing lights when locking and unlocking is that something the dealer just has to turn on?
As posted above, lots of possible options. Some dependant on whether pre or post-facelift. Doesn't need to be a 'dealer'.

- Are there error codes stored in the seat sensor? and if so, how would I get those clear? to clarify, my dad has told me numerous times that there are error codes stored in the seats and that's why my heated seats aren't working. Does that have to be done by the dealer, and is that even a thing or no? He read some forum somewhere about it...
Codes stored in a seat? New one on me!

- Is there an easy way to tell if your vehicle came with Bluetooth? For example I have seen many forum posts saying that if you have the SOS and other phone buttons, which mine has, but I have no idea how to setup the bluetooth if it really does have it, and is that also something the dealer can/has to turn on
Don't have it so not sure. Think there may be a pairing code on the unit itself (? behind covering in boot - the bump in the back wall). But note that it is now an old Bluetooth protocol and recent phones won't work properly or at all. On top of the steering column there would be a microphone housing if it is fitted.

- Lastly, I know that all the 2004 z4's came with the same wiring harness, despite not having the same electronics, therefore there are cords not plugged in at all. Anyways, Is it normal that the computer throws a code about these missing things? In example, I have no footwell lights, and there is a code about open circuit. Additionally, I dont think I have bluetooth, but there is a car TELEFON code, and I know for other car brands they wouldnt throw a code because of a missing option, so Just Curious about if thats normal for BMW's?
Not all zeds have the same harness. Original ones had a full harness I think, even if options weren't fitted, but this was cut back (literally!) as years passed, meaning that many zeds need to have harness extended to retrofit some items like cruise control. Wouldn't have thought there would be codes shown if an item was never fitted. Unless someone has been playing around previously maybe?
Enter your car's VIN into a VINdecoder such as https://www.mdecoder.com/ and this will confirm the spec of the car ex-factory.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Are you in the US? I thought the SOS thing was a US/NA market thing.

Tidy covers most of the points above, but I will add that Carly can clear and decode stored fault codes; I gave mine a thorough check when I got my Carly and it wiped codes no issues.

NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 am

parabolica wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm Are you in the US? I thought the SOS thing was a US/NA market thing.

Tidy covers most of the points above, but I will add that Carly can clear and decode stored fault codes; I gave mine a thorough check when I got my Carly and it wiped codes no issues.
Any chance you have a link to said “Carly”? Would be great to get the lights on lock activated

NewToZ4

Post by NewToZ4 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:04 am

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:21 am - What can the dealer turn on and off? Specifically, if my vehicle doesn't have flashing lights when locking and unlocking is that something the dealer just has to turn on?
As posted above, lots of possible options. Some dependant on whether pre or post-facelift. Doesn't need to be a 'dealer'.

Codes stored in a seat? New one on me!

Don't have it so not sure. Think there may be a pairing code on the unit itself (? behind covering in boot - the bump in the back wall). But note that it is now an old Bluetooth protocol and recent phones won't work properly or at all. On top of the steering column there would be a microphone housing if it is fitted.

Not all zeds have the same harness. Original ones had a full harness I think, even if options weren't fitted, but this was cut back (literally!) as years passed, meaning that many zeds need to have harness extended to retrofit some items like cruise control. Wouldn't have thought there would be codes shown if an item was never fitted. Unless someone has been playing around previously maybe?
Enter your car's VIN into a VINdecoder such as https://www.mdecoder.com/ and this will confirm the spec of the car ex-factory.
Thank you for the helpful input! excuse my lack of knowledge but the car has these multimedia options (picture) and i’m assuming the “phone” one doesn’t mean bluetooth otherwise it would say bluetooth. if that is that case, what does it mean? i have an code about “Telefon Unit” something, and i have no idea what it’s for.
Attachments
DFF7A013-E493-48BC-9711-FB9B0A52615C.jpeg
DFF7A013-E493-48BC-9711-FB9B0A52615C.jpeg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 319 times

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:44 pm

NewToZ4 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 am
parabolica wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:36 pm Are you in the US? I thought the SOS thing was a US/NA market thing.

Any chance you have a link to said “Carly”? Would be great to get the lights on lock activated
Http://www.mycarly.com

You can google or YouTube; Carly is a well known OBD reader and coder. The reader connects to your smart phone and there is an app the allows you to do everything. It’s not cheap though; you have to pay a £50 annual subscription to use their service.

Someone provided a link earlier listing forum users with carly who you can go to (if any are local) and they’ll do the coding for you, at whatever agreed rate (if any).

colb

Post by colb » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Code readers will read the modules fitted to your car, they will not generate any errors if the module is not fitted. BMW INPA, DIS and SSS and NCS Expert can be used to code functions into your car but its more involved than Carly. You need a Laptop to run the BMW software. For simple code reading a lot of forum users use Creator 310+ code reader, I added one of these to my kit recently and found it to be very easy to use and covers a range of BMW models. Used mine to clear an airbag light that INPA failed to do.
Regarding your non working heated seats, check the fues in the main fuse board first. If fuses are good check continuity of the wiring in each seat and back rest pad using the connectors under the seat. If you fail to get a circuit then the element in the pad(s) are likely broken and would need replacement or the break repaired with a length of wire inserted to bridge the break.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:02 pm

NewToZ4 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:04 am i’m assuming the “phone” one doesn’t mean bluetooth otherwise it would say bluetooth. if that is that case, what does it mean? i have an code about “Telefon Unit” something, and i have no idea what it’s for.
As it's a North American spec model, things may be a little different to what most of us on this forum are familiar with. (I suggest you put your location in your profile, you'll probably be more likely to pick up with some of your compatriots).
I don't think there's any mention of bluetooth by BMW, and that reference to Telefon and phone is the same thing - bluetooth connectivity. But as mentioned above, unless your phone is a little old school I wouldn't lose sleep over connecting it, as anything made within the last three years or so probably won't work.
There are several devices you can get that, I believe, fit into the CD-changer socket (at the changer end I think, not the head unit ?) and will enable bluetooth connectivity for audio streaming and possibly phone calls as well. I haven't bothered with it, so not sure I'm afraid. And it would mean losing use of the CD-changer I guess.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.