Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mixing Run-flats with regular tyres

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:22 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:44 am Gentlemen, enough said,
I think you have all made the point very clear. RFTs out next week to be replaced by the same make model as the back
Splendid..make it so :driving: :thumbsup:

skelters

Post by skelters » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:44 am Gentlemen, enough said,
I think you have all made the point very clear. RFTs out next week to be replaced by the same make model as the back
Get a Hunter Alignment check done on the car too if you've not had that already.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Sorry one last question I should have added. When replacing RFTs with regular tyres, will this affect the tyre low pressure warning system ??

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:01 pm

No - it’s part of the ABS which measures rotational speed, so just recalibrate after fitting :thumbsup:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanks for the warning, what is the re-calibration procedure

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:06 pm

Ignition to Postion 2 - do not start.
Press and hold the button in front of the ashtray for at least 6 seconds.
Yellow warning light comes on, on the dash.
Start up and drive off.
It measures the rolling circumference of each wheel, so may take a couple of miles or more, then the light will go out and you're all set.

Obviously, ensure the tyres are at the correct pressures before you do all that. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:26 pm

Have just had new tyres fitted and wheel alignment done, wow, what a difference to the feel of the steering. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Yep, runflats are pants.

skelters

Post by skelters » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:24 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:26 pm Have just had new tyres fitted and wheel alignment done, wow, what a difference to the feel of the steering. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.
How much of an adjustment was required for the alignment?
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:26 pm Have just had new tyres fitted and wheel alignment done, wow, what a difference to the feel of the steering. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.
Most cars alignment is badly out after 5-6 years so it’s almost always a positive benefit plus a good check on the state of bushes etc :thumbsup:

skelters

Post by skelters » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm
Most cars alignment is badly out after 5-6 years so it’s almost always a positive benefit plus a good check on the state of bushes etc :thumbsup:
Mine is checked every year. Usually needs a slight adjustment every two or three years.

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am

Mine was within spec but I thought it was a bit expensive at £40. Did notice a series of intermittent alarm sounds from the car after driving within a mile from tyre centre which eventually cleared itself. Then realised I didn't perform the re-calibration of the tyre pressure monitoring system before driving off, stopped and did this, problem (if there was one) cleared and all fine.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 am

portculisz4 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am Mine was within spec but I thought it was a bit expensive at £40. Did notice a series of intermittent alarm sounds from the car after driving within a mile from tyre centre which eventually cleared itself. Then realised I didn't perform the re-calibration of the tyre pressure monitoring system before driving off, stopped and did this, problem (if there was one) cleared and all fine.
Slightly patronising question maybe, but have you checked the tyre pressures, or just reset the system with whatever the fitters put in?
They aren't always very accurate.
Now you've reset the system the car will happily think whatever is in there is correct.
I'd suggest leave it overnight so the tyres are cool, adjust if necessary, then reset the monitor again.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 am

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 am
portculisz4 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am Mine was within spec but I thought it was a bit expensive at £40. Did notice a series of intermittent alarm sounds from the car after driving within a mile from tyre centre which eventually cleared itself. Then realised I didn't perform the re-calibration of the tyre pressure monitoring system before driving off, stopped and did this, problem (if there was one) cleared and all fine.
Slightly patronising question maybe, but have you checked the tyre pressures, or just reset the system with whatever the fitters put in?
Now you've reset the system the car will happily think whatever is in there is correct.
I'd suggest leave it overnight so the tyres are cool, adjust if necessary, then reset the monitor again.
Time to start a tyre pressures disussion I feel? :thumbsup: :rofl: :driving:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:49 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 am
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 am
Time to start a tyre pressures disussion I feel? :thumbsup: :rofl: :driving:
No!
Just..........................NO!