Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Are any of these fault codes urgent or dangerous?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cleoT

Post by cleoT » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Afternoon all, recently I have had the warning light trifecta issue light up which appears to be a common issue with bmws. This happened when I replaced one of the headlight back panels. I have invested in a c310+ scanner and ran a scan of each module. Honestly, my mental health is very poor right now and I'm having to be realistic about what I can handle and finding a nearby garage I trust is not on my list of manageable tasks. So my main goal here is to find out if any of these codes are urgent/dangerous to leave for a little while until I feel in a better headspace to deal with. I have a 1.5hr round trip to do this weekend so it would be really useful to know if I am ok to do so.

Couple of disclaimers, I can't remember exactly the wording Michael used at zedshed but it was something to do with the airbag module being bypassed or disconnected so the light would not appear (this was done by my seller) so this threw up fault codes. And also I replaced the air intake rubber boot but was unable to clear the engine light so a couple of those could be no longer an issue?

It has been mentioned on the FB group that I could clear all the codes now I've taken note and see which ones come back. Is this ok to do?

I'm very sorry if I'm asking too much here.
Please see a list of codes below:
ABS Module
5DF7 System voltage > 18 volts 5E5C Initialize Run Flat Indicator, see Owner's Handbook 5E30 Transverse acceleration sensor 5E38 Rotation rate sensor
EPS module
611D Power supply
ECM Module
2883 DME: Mixture preparation, bank 2 2882 DME: Mixture preparation, bank 1 2747 DME: Misfire, cylinder 4 2892 DME: Misfiring
SBSR module
98C8 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (e6x), stage 1, to positive 991E Voltage supply not in permitted range 98D1 Control-unit fault 991D Battery lead (shield): implausible measured value 98DC Control-unit fault 98E0 Resistance, firing circuit, belt tensioner, front right, too high 98D3 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 2, to positive 98C2 Self-test: too few messages 98E7 Control-unit fault 98D6 Resistance, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 2, not measured 98EE Control-unit fault 98DB Control-unit fault 98BE Control-unit fault 98D2 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 2, to ground 98E9 Short circuit, firing circuit, thorax airbag, rear right (e85, E60, E61), or knee airbag, front right (E63, E64) to positive 98F2 Control-unit fault 98C6 Control-unit fault 98CC Open circuit, firing cicuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 1
SRS Module
93DB Control-unit fault 93BA No message (11) from satellite, B-pillar, right 93BB No message (12) from satellite, B-pillar, left 93C7 Deactivation: satellite, B-pillar, left 93C8 Deactivation: satellite, B-pillar, right 93B1 No message (5) from satellite, B-pillar, left 93B3 No message (7) from satellite, B-pillar, right 93B7 No message (B) from satellite, B-pillar, left 93B8 No message (C) from satellite, B-pillar, right 93C2 Self-test: too few messages 93E7 Undervoltage
IHKA/IHKR module
0F AUC sensor
CVM module
13 Control button, short circuit when closing

Unscannable modules (communication error)
TCM, EKPS, AIC, CID, PDC, RAD, SBSL, SMF, SZM, VID, STVL, STVR, CDC, NAJ

Thanks so much in advance

skelters

Post by skelters » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:34 pm

A lot of that could be historic and irrelevant.

Clear all the codes.

Run the car for a day or two.

Check the codes again.

Then post the codes here.

Anyone nearby with Carly?
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Hi cleoT,
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Not the best of circumstances in which to be joining but now you're here I'm hopeful you will be able to find the help you need.
Whilst your personal circumstances may preclude this, have you considered letting us know your approximate location.
There may well be a knowledgeable owner nearby who could take a look, help you clear the codes etc, in addition to possibly putting your mind at rest about the severity of these issues if you still need to use the car.

Good luck getting this sorted.
Hope you continue to stick with us in the future as well.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

cleoT

Post by cleoT » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:16 pm

Thanks both for your help and advice, I really appreciate it. I've owned my e85 since about 2017 and often lurked in this sub but never posted. I'm not about to get rid of my Z any time soon but it's damn hard work :cry:
I have used the c310+ to clear fault codes and those that wouldn't clear are below:
5E30 Transverse acceleration sensor
5E38 Rotation rate sensor
93DB Control-unit fault
98D2 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 2, to ground
98C7 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 1, to ground
98E9 Short circuit, firing circuit, thorax airbag, rear right (e85, E60, E61), or knee airbag, front right (E63, E64) to positive
98BE Control-unit fault
98DE Short circuit, firing circuit, belt tensioner, front right, to positive

The 3 lights, handbrake, runflat and traction (the infamous trifecta) remain on and I suspect this is the top 2 codes under the ABS Module? I'm guessing as they won't clear it means these are current issues and require fixing?
What would the Carly do that the c310 wouldn't? My knowledge is very limited, I am only aware of the existence of a Carly over the last few days!

I haven't yet had chance to drive around to see if any of the other codes come back but I will make an effort to do so once ive finished work.

I am in the Sheffield area if that helps.

Thanks again!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm

cleoT wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:16 pm Thanks both for your help and advice, I really appreciate it. I've owned my e85 since about 2017 and often lurked in this sub but never posted. I'm not about to get rid of my Z any time soon but it's damn hard work :cry:
I have used the c310+ to clear fault codes and those that wouldn't clear are below:
5E30 Transverse acceleration sensor
5E38 Rotation rate sensor
93DB Control-unit fault
98D2 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 2, to ground
98C7 Short circuit, firing circuit, front airbag, right (E85), or passenger airbag (E6x), stage 1, to ground
98E9 Short circuit, firing circuit, thorax airbag, rear right (e85, E60, E61), or knee airbag, front right (E63, E64) to positive
98BE Control-unit fault
98DE Short circuit, firing circuit, belt tensioner, front right, to positive

The 3 lights, handbrake, runflat and traction (the infamous trifecta) remain on and I suspect this is the top 2 codes under the ABS Module? I'm guessing as they won't clear it means these are current issues and require fixing?
What would the Carly do that the c310 wouldn't? My knowledge is very limited, I am only aware of the existence of a Carly over the last few days!

I haven't yet had chance to drive around to see if any of the other codes come back but I will make an effort to do so once ive finished work.

I am in the Sheffield area if that helps.

Thanks again!
Ah, well you're a bit too far away for me to help I'm afraid.
I think you're right though, those seem to be two separate issues, and it is the top two codes causing your lights.
I recently had those lights and it turned out to be the ABS speed sensor on the left front wheel, which was a pretty easy change.
My Autophix 5900 scanner told me which sensor it was too.
I was told there was a chance that cleaning the sensor and the ring on the hub may fix it, but not so for me.
Failing that, I believe it may possibly be the sensors on the ABS unit that can cause this too.
Not sure how safe it would be to do a long journey with this state, hopefully more experienced members can advise.

The other codes all seem to relate to the airbag circuit. Various members have been discussing similar issues only the last week or two, so hopefully one of them will be able to help with that.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

skelters

Post by skelters » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:44 pm

As enuff_zed said. Too far away, probably an ABS Sensor.

With these cars the first place to start is the battery when any codes are thrown up as they start acting weird when there not enough of the old electricity. How old is the battery? Is the car getting used? Can the battery be charged up then try clearing the codes again and see what comes back.

viewtopic.php?t=94984

Going by this thread more info is required to determine what's causing the airbag error....
viewtopic.php?t=16786#p243959

Been to Sheffield once. Won't be going back.

There must be someone close that can get more details from the car either through Carly or another scanner.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!