Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Harsh suspension

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Is it possible to soften the harsh suspension on my 3.0si sport on 66K. I have had the car about 3 years but as late the ride feels harsh. where I live there are quite a few speed bumps and as always pot holes. I did think something like oil filled suspension if that's the way to go along with softer springs. I will not be doing track days but sometimes traffic light starts for a 74 year old are okay. I would not carry out the required work myself but it would be nice to be able to get my point across to the mechanic who does my servicing.
Attachments
DSC03574.JPG
DSC03574.JPG (144.57 KiB) Viewed 655 times
DSC03577.JPG
DSC03577.JPG (89.81 KiB) Viewed 655 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm assuming you love the wheels on it?
However, slightly smaller wheels, allowing room for a tyre that actually has a sidewall, may well give you the solution you're looking for.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by Jembo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:02 pm

I also suggest you check someone hasn’t fitted Eibachs prior to your ownership

On the rear they’re great, on the front IMO they’ll remove your fillings on every manhole cover as they’re shorter & harder
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

steve_naive

Harsh suspension

Post by steve_naive » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm

You might be able to convert the suspension to SE spec and fit 17's with fatter tyres?

Might be a bit spendy too because the market for used sport springs isn't really there, people tend to go with Eibach and Biltstein for a sporty set up. I did, and it's miles better than the worn out sport spec I was running.

Would you say the car has got stiffer or have you just lost patience? Could be snapped rears and/or busted struts.

I would also ask myself how far I was willing to compromise and perhaps look at a different car without the notoriously harsh ride.

rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:57 pm

The ride has not started to feel more uncomfortable due to the car itself. it has always been a little what I call harsh. I have recently fitted the Michelin pilot 4 tyres which may have some bearing. mainly I think it's just the roads around my area plus I suppose being 75 at Christmas. I don't want to change the car, I have had Range Rover, a V6 Freelander, and various saloon cars. This car is what my wife calls my boyhood car but in my second childhood. My one son has recently bought himself a 4 litre TVR Tuscan and I find that a little harsh so perhaps I need to sit on an air ring

Sidewaze Samm

Harsh suspension

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 pm

steve_naive wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm You might be able to convert the suspension to SE spec and fit 17's with fatter tyres?
Think I'm right in saying that 17" rims won't fit over 3.0si calipers; they need to be 18". May be wrong, but if I ever manage to get one I'll know for sure :D
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Sidewaze Samm

Harsh suspension

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:19 pm

rogerplum wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:57 pm The ride has not started to feel more uncomfortable due to the car itself. it has always been a little what I call harsh.
What rims are you on? 18" or 19"? If 19" then, as mentioned in another post above, consider reverting to OE spec and fitting 18".
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:39 pm

They are 18". my only problem with the car is that when I hit a pot hole or a speed bump the car feels so rigid. All I want is a little more give in the suspension. If this isn't possible then so be it.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:09 am

rogerplum wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:39 pm They are 18". my only problem with the car is that when I hit a pot hole or a speed bump the car feels so rigid. All I want is a little more give in the suspension. If this isn't possible then so be it.
Well I would have sworn they looked like 19s. Must be the tyres changing the perspective.
What size tyres are they? They look very low profile. Maybe that lack of sidewall is the issue?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zulu4

Harsh suspension

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:18 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:09 am
rogerplum wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:39 pm They are 18". my only problem with the car is that when I hit a pot hole or a speed bump the car feels so rigid. All I want is a little more give in the suspension. If this isn't possible then so be it.
Well I would have sworn they looked like 19s. Must be the tyres changing the perspective.
What size tyres are they? They look very low profile. Maybe that lack of sidewall is the issue?
I was thinking the same.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

rogerplum

Harsh suspension

Post by rogerplum » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:39 pm

The tyres are Michelin Sport 4 on 18" wheels. I chose those tyres as most members rated them on the forum. They are on the staggered system without any spacers. I am happy with car as such but just wanted to know if altering the springs and shocks would make for a softer ride. thanks anyway for the input from the forum

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Harsh suspension

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:49 pm

rogerplum wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:39 pm The tyres are Michelin Sport 4 on 18" wheels. I chose those tyres as most members rated them on the forum. They are on the staggered system without any spacers. I am happy with car as such but just wanted to know if altering the springs and shocks would make for a softer ride. thanks anyway for the input from the forum
I think the general consensus would be that you could fit softer suspension, but at the expense of handling. I think you may find it would wallow a bit?
The reason I brought up the tyres was because, possibly due to the black wheels, they look a very low profile, so you'd be losing a lot of the 'give' from the sidewalls.
No-one has suggested that the make of tyre is wrong: in fact they are some of the best.
I think (though may be corrected) that you should have 225/40 on the front and 255/35 on the back.
On the photo you have shown of the fronts, the sidewall looks very narrow. 40% of 225mm is 90mm: allowing a little variance for particular tyre/wheel combinations. The photo seems to suggest a lot less than that. If that is the case then it could well be your tyre size that is accentuating the hard ride.
Mind you, the 'whoopee cushion' idea could work out cheaper. :D

abar121

Harsh suspension

Post by abar121 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 pm

Hmm, they really do look like 19s or at least the wrong profile as above.

Goodyear F1s are slightly softer riding, but the PS4s are great tyres also. Worn dampers or snapped springs will affect the ride quite badly too.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

dhobbs

Harsh suspension

Post by dhobbs » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:16 pm
steve_naive wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm You might be able to convert the suspension to SE spec and fit 17's with fatter tyres?
Think I'm right in saying that 17" rims won't fit over 3.0si calipers; they need to be 18". May be wrong, but if I ever manage to get one I'll know for sure :D
17 inch wheels do fit over the 3.0si calipers. I have them on mine for the winter, keeps the 18inch MV2s nice and clean for the summer
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Benderloch

Harsh suspension

Post by Benderloch » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 pm

I would recommend fitting Bilstein B4s with Suplex springs. This is basically back to the original sports setup and at the correct height. How you setup these cars suspension depend totally on how you intend to use the car. For me my car will be used as a GT, so for me the standard setup with new shocks and springs is perfect.
E86 Silver Grey Red leather, Piano Black trim.