Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why does my car go 'Cheep'

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm

2 or 3 minutes after starting my car (2004 E85 2.5 SE) and pulling away I get a brief 'cheep' sound which is obviously some form of electronic notification - but notification of what ?? There are no error lights present and everything seems perfectly normal and OK. Can anyone enlighten me ??

ibasniper

Post by ibasniper » Tue May 11, 2021 5:18 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm 2 or 3 minutes after starting my car (2004 E85 2.5 SE) and pulling away I get a brief 'cheep' sound which is obviously some form of electronic notification - but notification of what ?? There are no error lights present and everything seems perfectly normal and OK. Can anyone enlighten me ??
Someone may have coded the chirp on auto door locks ? see if the chirp sounds at the same point your door lock when you drive away.

if autolock is not activated, look for a budgie under the bonnet.. :rofl:
Cheers Gary

2004 Z4 E85 3.0i se Sapphire Black, with all the extra's
Snapper blue 440i coupe

grumps

Post by grumps » Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm Why does my car go 'Cheep'
I wish mine went cheap, it seems to be an eternal money pit at the moment. Even Mrs Grumps is starting to notice now! :(
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:05 pm

grumps wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm
portculisz4 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm Why does my car go 'Cheep'
I wish mine went cheap, it seems to be an eternal money pit at the moment. Even Mrs Grumps is starting to notice now! :(
Hey there is no such thing has a cheap BMW!! :poke:
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:14 pm

No budgie under the bonnet but plenty of pigeon s*it on the roof. Take your point on door lock notification, have checked user manual and it says you can 'arrange' to have the warning sound on autolock. Does this mean I have to go to a BMW Service centre and pay them £150/hr to turn this warning sound either on or off, is there no way to set this sort of thing your self ?? There seems to be various options you can set on the car but all the manual says for these options is - 'you can arrange to have ----' but doesn't tell you how.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure it can be coded with Carly.

So you might find this link useful:- viewtopic.php?f=13&t=97818&start=255
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

grumps

Post by grumps » Tue May 11, 2021 8:45 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm I'm pretty sure it can be coded with Carly.
From the Carly website:

Audible confirmation – locking vehicle
• on
• off
Audible confirmation for locking vehicle is active/not active. Only works if ‘Anti Theft System’ is set to ‘active’. (codable in GM5)

The vehicle speed at which auto-locking operates can also be coded within a particular range

Obviously this all depends on having the full version of Carly.
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:50 pm

portculisz4 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:14 pm No budgie under the bonnet but plenty of pigeon s*it on the roof. Take your point on door lock notification, have checked user manual and it says you can 'arrange' to have the warning sound on autolock. Does this mean I have to go to a BMW Service centre and pay them £150/hr to turn this warning sound either on or off, is there no way to set this sort of thing your self ?? There seems to be various options you can set on the car but all the manual says for these options is - 'you can arrange to have ----' but doesn't tell you how.

There are quite a few people on here that either have Carly or a much more involved code reader etc. Am sure there is someone near you that can meet up and turn this off for you if you post the area you in. Sorry I can't help as I am over the pond in states.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 pm

grumps wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:45 pm From the Carly website:

Audible confirmation – locking vehicle
• on
• off
Audible confirmation for locking vehicle is active/not active. Only works if ‘Anti Theft System’ is set to ‘active’. (codable in GM5)

Obviously this depends on having the full version of Carly.
Right, so he needs to find someone with the full version. Although quite a few people with Carly also have other software.

A forum member disabled Auto-locking and set the "beep" on locking for my previous E86 using Carly.

I got "Beep" on locking and other tweaks done on my current one by a forum member with a laptop!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Wed May 12, 2021 9:06 am

You havnt got the speed limiter set to some low speed by accident have you?

Dont know how but ours was set to 9mph and every time I oulled away I would get the gong / cheep - took a while to figure it out but the speedo display flashed as well so a bit of a giveaway - IF you know.
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 am

The Mrs has set a tracker to activate when you get a certain distance from the house :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:09 am The Mrs has set a tracker to activate when you get a certain distance from the house :wink:
    I have similar, but it warns me when she's coming back :rofl:
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks for all your replies. It looks as though I will need special equipment to change various options, the notification 'cheep' when I pull away doesn't bother me, just wanted to make sure it wasn't trying to bring to my notice something that needed immediate attention. I have a +c310 scan tool, it's a shame the tool couldn't be extended to set/unset these options.