Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Having a nightmare with my fist Z4

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr Ward

Post by Mr Ward » Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm

I need a little helpful advice.
I love the car but I'm steadily losing faith in it.
I purchased a 2005 2.0 SE Roadster at the end of February. so to cut a long story short,
Front suspension collapsed drivers side (Coilovers fitted).
Roof motor stopped working (to be sorted at a later date,
Rear muffler leaking from a seam (muffler removed and mild steel pipe welded to replace muffler)
MAF sensor failed (now replaced).
Fuel economy dropped to 19.1mpg.
Lambda sensor failed Bank 1 (Both pre cat and 1 post cat replaced).
Engine now has started running like it is firing on 3 cylinders. Removed the vvt actuator motor out of the top of the engine between the coil packs located under the engines plastic cover. The motor turns easily then seems to go stiff for a split second, it then turns freely for a 1/4 of a turn and repeats the stiffness again then spins freely. Upon connecting a live and negative to the terminals the motor does not turn, would I be correct in assuming the motor is no good and needs to be replaced?

Upon using a code reader the OBD2 codes I am getting are....
2a63
2e24
P1062

Would I be correct in assuming all the codes point to the motor on top of the engine, I'm 51 and do not have a clue where cars are concerned I am no mechanic so I get confused with all the codes the Z4 has been throwing at me in the past 3 weeks. Luckily I have a friend who travels 170 miles to help with problems when I throw some cash his way.
Never be afraid to do anything, put your mind to it and work at it.
Pre facelift 2.0i heavily modified with a stubby.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue May 11, 2021 8:23 am

Morning Mr Ward

Sad times- it’s frustrating when stuff continually goes wrong with these cars- however take comfort that it’s not always critical or mega expensive

It does help to be able to fix it yourself- but I know that’s not everybody’s favourite thing to do!

Where you based- someone may be able to help/diagnose?

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Aaronb76

Post by Aaronb76 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:34 am

Morning,

The first and last code appear to relate to the VVT and based upon what you said it sounds like it does need replacing. The second code is for a misfire which could also be caused by the VVT issue. I would remove the spark plugs and check the condition of the electrode just to ensure they aren't to worn down as this can also cause misfire issues.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm

Does sound like a duff VVT motor to me.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Isn't the engine in the 2.0 one of the early electronic valve timing? What I can say from experience is when you change the MAF sensor only buy bmw/bosch one as on my M47N 1 series I went through 2 before the 3rd was OEM and the car ran a whole lot better and far more economical. If the garage has put anything in there that isn't a real Bosch/OEM one you will have problems
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

Richfarr

Post by Richfarr » Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Sad days
Keep the faith, the help you will get from the forum is second to none, if you ask someone will know
2007 2.0i S E85 Monaco Blue Beige roof and interior