Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

To keep or not to keep original parts that is the question ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:53 pm

I am currently updating suspension parts and exhaust backbox with aftermarket parts . Is it worth keeping any of of it to return to original spec or not ? I can understand if it was an M it may be worth it but for a non M ?

What do you think ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Pabby1980

Post by Pabby1980 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm

I've recently changed my wheels, springs and lights on an e85 3.0i. Can't really see any point in keeping the old bits.

I can't see myself ever returning the car to it's original spec. If it was worth more then maybe, but for a car that's only worth about 5/6 grand the parts will just be taking up room in the garage for no real reason, plus then i'd have to sell the new wheels etc etc.

Just gonna shift them i think.

golfgeezer

Post by golfgeezer » Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm

You might want to think about holding on to your exhaust parts. I’ve seen a few posts lately where owners have changed back to oem as the aftermarket exhaust they’ve fitted ended up becoming too loud/droney over time and quite tiresome.
BMW E85 3.0si - Montego blue, champagne nappa
BMW E86 3.0si - Titanium Silver. ZHP, graphite MV4’s - Gone
BMW E89 2.0i sDrive manual in VO. M sport LCI - Gone

Nash3vans

Post by Nash3vans » Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

I’ve done quite a few changes to my z. Only thing I’ve kept is the old exhaust. Don’t know why I’ve kept that :)
2005 merlot 2.5 auto.313s.e46 m3 front brakes.Strut brace,poly bush’s front, m front bumper,modified grilles,bc racing coilovers,facelift lights all round,modified rear bumper,s/wheel retrimmed, Merc slk seats. scorpion exhaust, many interior mods.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:17 pm

Pabby1980 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm I can't see myself ever returning the car to it's original spec
I feel the same as I doubt I would ever return to original it`s just that when you watch classic car programs they say it`s not original which reduces the price and original parts are not available etc etc . Mind you by the time they become a possible classic they wont be allowed on the roads . :roll:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:25 pm

golfgeezer wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm You might want to think about holding on to your exhaust parts
Nash3vans wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm I’ve done quite a few changes to my z. Only thing I’ve kept is the old exhaust.
Yes good point . Though as to whether I would put the original back on is debatable as it is too quiet for me and I`m mid 50`s :rofl: