Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Couple of questions- differences

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi all

Been under the front of the new Z4 for a good look and some quick and easy maintenance (ARB bushes, drop links and brake pads)

Noticed these and should have taken pics- but someone will know what I'm talking about

Off side wishbone had a link to a device i've not seen before- assuming it is a levelling device of some sort for Xenons (???)
Near side, under the radiator, there was an aluminium block with inputs and returns pipes- deffo didn't have this on the last Z4 which was manual- is it to do with the auto box?

Just curious more than anything else as specifically different to the last car!

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm Hi all

Been under the front of the new Z4 for a good look and some quick and easy maintenance (ARB bushes, drop links and brake pads)

Noticed these and should have taken pics- but someone will know what I'm talking about

Off side wishbone had a link to a device i've not seen before- assuming it is a levelling device of some sort for Xenons (???)
Near side, under the radiator, there was an aluminium block with inputs and returns pipes- deffo didn't have this on the last Z4 which was manual- is it to do with the auto box?

Just curious more than anything else as specifically different to the last car!

Cheers

Stuart
Hi mate,
Wifey's 2.5i auto has the Xenons and yes, a levelling lever thing-ma-bob on the OSF wishbone.
Hers also has the big ally block. I think it's to do with cooling the transmission oil??
Hadn't realised yours is an auto. In that case, referring back to the cooling thermostat I told you about that the expansion tank sits over, I'm pretty sure yours will have that too. You can either keep your fingers crossed that it stays together, or get one to hand and replace it when you swap the expansion tank.
As I said, mine launched itself past by ear as I removed the bottle. It seems the locating lugs get weak and the BF Spring inside distributes the innards to the four winds.

This is the one I got:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173716185574
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Ah I saw that when i was searching 'thermostats' that fitted the new one!

Thank you- worth getting one just in case!

I was surprised how fragile looking the xenon armature looked, and rubbish placement to get to the drop links!

Stuart

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 09, 2021 1:02 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 pm Thank you- worth getting one just in case!
I would tbh.
If you look at the photo of it you can see a slot in the middle with a lug in it. Same on the other side.
The two halves 'bayonet' together. On mine, one lug was already missing it seems, and the other snapped once the bottle was no longer holding it in place.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm

what does it do?

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 09, 2021 1:51 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm what does it do?
What? when it's not trying to take your eye out? :)
Not entirely sure, but I'd guess it somehow opens and closes to use coolant to control the transmission oil temperature within that ally block?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun May 09, 2021 2:23 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:51 pm
bigwinn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm what does it do?
What? when it's not trying to take your eye out? :)
Not entirely sure, but I'd guess it somehow opens and closes to use coolant to control the transmission oil temperature within that ally block?
:rofl:

Makes sense

Ordered- marathon pending for next weekend weather dependent so it will be here for that!

Cheers!!

EWS Delete PM me