Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is my clutch on its way out?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
CryptoWhale

Post by CryptoWhale » Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 am

It seems I am having to make these threads more often than I would like :thumbsdown:

Gave it some boot in second gear and the car had a bit of judder / vibration / grinding (can't really describe it), tried shifting to third around 6.5k and it felt hard and almost had to force it into gear. Few minutes later same again, foot down in second and the car was juddering / grinding as before and it was hard to shift into third. Then pulling off from 1st same thing. Somthing to note, I've forgot what it is but it's a common issue on these cars, when the car is idling and clutch isn't pressed in, there's a strange vibration noise, noise / vibration goes when I press clutch in... This vibration / noise appeared to be present and much more prominent in this little episode when changing gear which I've not experienced before.

Also to note over the past week on the odd occasion I've dropped a gear to overtake, the car almost has a moment of lag / loss of power before it moves (not sure if this is the arch liner rubbing on the tyres though which I need to modify as had hunter alignment so it's made it worse).

Not sure if this is just an isolated incident or if it is indeed an indication of somthing wrong with the car, I'm just wondering if the symptoms I describe sound like anything anyone else has experienced? Slipping clutch (never had this before so not sure what it feels like)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun May 09, 2021 8:12 am

A slipping clutch is normally noticed by the revs rising higher and quicker than what the car is moving.
So if you floor the accelerator and the revs rise almost as if the car is in neutral the clutch will be slipping.
The hard to change gears part could potentially be a simple case of the fluid needs changed or system bled.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

colb

Post by colb » Sun May 09, 2021 9:26 am

Clutch thrust bearing will almost be sure to be the source of the noise, vibration you have if it stops when you depress the clutch pedal. I think the only way you are going to confirm the state of it all is to drop the gearbox out and inspect the state of the thrust bearing, clutch cover and clutch plate. Also inspect the face of the flywheel for damage. As its all in bits there is no point reusing the parts, new parts will be the way to go given the age and wear the originals will have.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sun May 09, 2021 10:19 am

They have dual mass flywheels which make noise when they are on the way out. Sadly thats what makes a clutch swap an expensive job on these cars.

CryptoWhale

Post by CryptoWhale » Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm

So just been out again - Car was fine driving around at normal speeds for around 20 mins. Got onto a carriageway and gave it some gas, tried changing into third around 7k rpm and it was almost impossible, same for trying to get into fourth gear.

At this point I could feel vibration on the gear stick and on the clutch pedal just be resting my foot on it. Got onto the back roads and changing up gear at lower speeds was okay... however the worst part is when I change down gear, there is awful vibration / juddering from the clutch pedal when I am releasing it. It's not as bad when changing up gear but it's still there as well.

From what I have read it could be the DMF? Is this correct? If so, ffs, fantastic. Really losing patience with the car now :headbang: :thumbsdown:

pilch

Post by pilch » Sun May 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Easy way to check DMF vibration at idle is to push on the clutch with your hand, you'll feel it so much better. However a worn DMF shouldn't really affect gear change. I think you're in for a clutch kit I'm afraid and possibly DMF anyway as like already said you may as well do the lot in one go if you're having to pay someone :(