Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Suspension Arms

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
yg54sg

Front Suspension Arms

Post by yg54sg » Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 pm

I am just about to remove the power flex rear RTAB bushes I fitted back in 2012 , I am after some more comfort take some of the shock out of the ride when hitting potholes. I may put them back if there is hardly any difference but will be interesting to see. Those and the Meyle HD have been trouble free for several years, but there must be a tradeoff with the power flex. I found the power flex made it harder to stay in a straight line at high speed but that may have just highlighted a tracking issue.
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

Jakg

Front Suspension Arms

Post by Jakg » Sun May 02, 2021 10:49 pm

yg54sg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 pm I am just about to remove the power flex rear RTAB bushes I fitted back in 2012 , I am after some more comfort take some of the shock out of the ride when hitting potholes. I may put them back if there is hardly any difference but will be interesting to see. Those and the Meyle HD have been trouble free for several years, but there must be a tradeoff with the power flex. I found the power flex made it harder to stay in a straight line at high speed but that may have just highlighted a tracking issue.
Polyurethane bushes tighten everything up in my experience, but that exacerbates any existing issues.
My Z4 drove a little worse after fitting them - it tightened it up, but that exacerbated the tramlining - mostly because it had runflats and I hadn't adjusted the steering which was the root cause of the problem.
That's still an endorsement, though.

skmattwell

Front Suspension Arms

Post by skmattwell » Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 pm

Have bitten the bullet and ordered the meyle hd ones. Will be so happy when my zed doesn't shimmy it's way down the M1!

skmattwell

Front Suspension Arms

Post by skmattwell » Tue May 11, 2021 8:47 pm

Quick update... had the front control arms replaced and 4 wheel alignment and it made no difference. The car still jerkily pulls to the left and right at will?

Trying to think of what else it could be, tracking rods? Tyres? Steering column?
Any suggestions welcome!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Front Suspension Arms

Post by Jembo » Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm

Took me ages to sort my old 3.0 & this was my list... hope it helps

1. Non RFT (9/10), preferably michelins or other premium tyres
2. Correct tyre pressures 33F/36R (8/10)
3. Tighten Steering collar (this seems to be the major fix)
4. New poly lollipops (8/10)
5. New front & rear drop links (7/10)
6. New tie rod ends (7/10)
7. New Bilstein B6 shocks (10/10)
8. New rear top mounts (3/10)
9. New ARB bushes (1/10)
10. Check no broken rear spring(s)
11. Poly RTAB/RTAL’s (7/10)
12. Proper alignment with tweaks (7/10)
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

yg54sg

Front Suspension Arms

Post by yg54sg » Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm

What wheels are you running? Sounds like tramlining , could be steering track rod ends but the alignment shop should have picked up on that. On my summer 108 18" the car will pull more left and right depending on ruts in the road. On my 17" winters the drive is much nicer with less tramlining due to the width of tyre being less I believe.

I am hoping to better the steering feel even more after I complete this hydraulic steering conversion. All parts have arrived , just need the time now!
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

skmattwell

Front Suspension Arms

Post by skmattwell » Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Thanks Jembo, that's a really helpful list (I'm up to number 5). Was there one thing that fixed it for you or a combination of all?

I'm running 18" Non RF tyres. Think they are fairly budget but should still be suitable for the car?

Zulu4

Front Suspension Arms

Post by Zulu4 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:38 am

yg54sg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm What wheels are you running? Sounds like tramlining , could be steering track rod ends but the alignment shop should have picked up on that. On my summer 108 18" the car will pull more left and right depending on ruts in the road. On my 17" winters the drive is much nicer with less tramlining due to the width of tyre being less I believe.

I am hoping to better the steering feel even more after I complete this hydraulic steering conversion. All parts have arrived , just need the time now!
Agree.
I found out a long time ago that the lower profile the tyre, the more tramlining. On any car.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

grumps

Front Suspension Arms

Post by grumps » Wed May 12, 2021 4:57 pm

I fitted Meyle control arms, front drop links and front ARB bushes as well as new rear springs over the winter.
That has cured the tramlining so far...
I'm running on 18" rims with 225/40 front and 255/35 rear tyres.
Start the day with a smile, get it over with.

Bog standard 2007 3.0si manual E86 in Montego blue with black leather, currently fitted with MV2s