Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rough ride on run flats

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bradmac

Rough ride on run flats

Post by Bradmac » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 pm

Z4 ride is very rough over any bumps in the road . Any suggests on how to soften the ride a lot.

Buckley06

Rough ride on run flats

Post by Buckley06 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Take the run flats, send them hell so they can be with their creator :fuelfire: . Buy some proper tyres like ps4's and you will be much much happier.
Please check out my new project.
B06 gear knob and brake lever set.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=109279

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Rough ride on run flats

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:40 pm

Welcome, most would suggest ditching the run flats immediately as a starting point
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Rough ride on run flats

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm

Well first off welcome to the forum. :lol:

As others have already said swapping to non-runflat tyres should make a big difference.

If the ride still feels very firm it would be worth checking what suspension you have. Facelift models (2006 onwards) came with SE or Sport designations and the Sport ones had M-Sport suspension which was 15mm lower and stiffer.

I think the M-Sport set-up was an option on earlier E85s, so you'd need to do a spec check using your VIN to see what your car had orignally.

Having said that by now quite a few Z4s have had lowering springs, typically Eibach or H & R, fitted as well as uprated dampers like Bilstein.

And we do like to see a photo or two of new members' cars!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rough ride on run flats

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Hello bud,
Yep the run flats are made of black concrete. If you have M-sport suspension it only makes matters worse. I have an E89 with 19" wheels, run-flats (cos they are new and I ain't binning them until they wear out) with M-sport sussy. It is probably the harshest ride of any car I've ever driven. I think it makes matters more pronounced because the Z4 seating position is so low. BM should have left the RFTs for the softer suspension cars. Other than the terrible ride, though, they are still good fun :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!