Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4C - Getting very rare - The price gap is closing to the Z4MC?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ooscool

Post by ooscool » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm

I may be entering late To Z4 ownership after numerous other BM's and found what is seemingly a mint 2006 Z4 sport auto with only 66k miles, 3 owners being delivered this week for just over £11k.
https://www.priddysmotorcompany.co.uk/c ... z4/454508/
Not many about at all and I was slightly concerned it was such an early example with no aux etc but actually this being such a near standard factory car with the right options for me and almost analogue experience I think adds to the charm and hopefully investment!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:09 pm

ooscool wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm I may be entering late To Z4 ownership after numerous other BM's and found what is seemingly a mint 2006 Z4 sport auto with only 66k miles, 3 owners being delivered this week for just over £11k.
https://www.priddysmotorcompany.co.uk/c ... z4/454508/
Not many about at all and I was slightly concerned it was such an early example with no aux etc but actually this being such a near standard factory car with the right options for me and almost analogue experience I think adds to the charm and hopefully investment!
Well congratulations on joining the Coupe club. :thumbsup:

My previous E86 didn't have the aux-in and I thought about buying something from someone like "fruity cables" - until I discovered a previous owner had fitted one in the glovebox!

But I wouldn't buy one as an investment, it's a car so you need to enjoy it and if it makes money that's just a bonus.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

shuey

Post by shuey » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Interesting to hear everyone’s points... I put my coupe up for sale just after first lockdown... at an overly optimistic price - which people laughed at, and yes it was probably looking for 1k over the going rate but I was only going to sell at above going rate if at all. looking at what’s out there, that my price now looks slightly below market asking price.

But I think the key thing is how much is a Z4C worth to someone.

I’m constantly toying with buying a Z4MC - but the asking price + price running costs feels unjustifiably high compared to Z4C. Double the tax, probably a quarter more in fuel costs, and slightly less boot space (I know!), and from what I’ve heard slightly less fun to daily than a Z4C, plus the potential money pit for high mileage s54 preventative maintenance.

But as with anything it all comes down to the monies.

I’d always have a Z4MC if I could afford it over a Z4C (looks better, the pedigree, the high RPM, and the rarity. However if I had a bit more money, I’d have an M2 over a Z4MC (yes less rare etc, and less special, but as it would be my daily, I could do with having a little bit more convenience day to day. It’d be different if it was a weekend car only.

MC will always be worth more than the coupe, as I’m pretty sure everyone would risk paying a bit more for the pedigree and character, and I do think the MC will eventually become a high value classic, but we probably have another 10–20 years to go before that happens. And naturally when that happens, the Z4C will also go up in price, as it’ll be the slightly cheaper alternative. I guess I can see the 3.0 coupes being in the same ilk as a 911 turbo from the 80s versus 911 carrera. Both cool cars, pretty sure everyone would go for the turbo, but the carrera would always be slightly more accessible.

The only time I can see the Z4C overtaking the Z4M price wise, if all petrol cars got banned, and only electric conversions were allowed... at which point the engine wouldn’t matter, and the extra boot space might become useful.

But let’s hope that never happens
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Z4C Si Sport / Manual / Alpine White
350Z VQ35DE / Manual / Silver
Seat Leon Cupra MKII / Manual / Silver
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:56 pm

shuey wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 pm I’d always have a Z4MC if I could afford it over a Z4C (looks better, the pedigree, the high RPM, and the rarity. However if I had a bit more money, I’d have an M2 over a Z4MC (yes less rare etc, and less special, but as it would be my daily, I could do with having a little bit more convenience day to day. It’d be different if it was a weekend car only.
Very well put. :thumbsup:

I only swapped my 3.0Si E86 for an MC because both were "weekend" cars and I found an MC I could afford!

While an M2 might be a better daily, can you really find one within the same budget as an MC?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

shuey

Post by shuey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:11 pm

Yeh defo not... MC is great value for what you get and the pedigree and rarity.
But if it was your only car, M2/M3 is probably the more sensible choice.

Just checked Vantage prices... they around the 25k mark... now Z4MC vs Vantage becomes an interesting dilemma

Ethan Hunt vs James Bond

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:56 pm
shuey wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 pm I’d always have a Z4MC if I could afford it over a Z4C (looks better, the pedigree, the high RPM, and the rarity. However if I had a bit more money, I’d have an M2 over a Z4MC (yes less rare etc, and less special, but as it would be my daily, I could do with having a little bit more convenience day to day. It’d be different if it was a weekend car only.
Very well put. :thumbsup:

I only swapped my 3.0Si E86 for an MC because both were "weekend" cars and I found an MC I could afford!

While an M2 might be a better daily, can you really find one within the same budget as an MC?
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Z4C Si Sport / Manual / Alpine White
350Z VQ35DE / Manual / Silver
Seat Leon Cupra MKII / Manual / Silver
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

Penelope

Post by Penelope » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 20.54.42.png
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 20.54.42.png (695.47 KiB) Viewed 478 times
2008 BMW Z4 MSport 3.0 Si Coupe in Stratus Grey with Red New England Extended Leather Upholstery. Purchased 14 December 2019 via the Forum with just 25k miles.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 pm

Penelope wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 pm £14k on the eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-08-BMW- ... kparms=aid%
If it really is “the perfect example”, then why not? It’s low mileage, but not THAT low. I don’t see any cruise control, heated seats or cupholders and there seems to be a substantial piece missing from the aerial :o .
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 pm

No interior shots and misted fog lights. If the leather isn’t heated, no cruise or cup holders then I’d argue it isn’t perfect...
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Wyldie85 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 pm No interior shots and misted fog lights. If the leather isn’t heated, no cruise or cup holders then I’d argue it isn’t perfect...
Cruise control and cup holders required for the perfect sports car. :roll: :cry: :? So glad mine isn't perfect. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm Cruise control and cup holders required for the perfect sports car. So glad mine isn't perfect.
Cruise my not be an issue in Cornwall, but in the area where I live we have so many 50 or 60 average cameras I find it almost essential - it wasn't easy to stick to those limits in my 3.0Si but would be almost impossible in my M! :oops:

And it came with cup-holders anyway!

But getting back on topic £14K for a 3.0Si E86 seems strong money when it's not far off 50K miles, and while I like Silver Grey I really don't like black interiors. :thumbsdown:

I just wonder how long these prices like these will last!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 am

buzyg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 pm
Wyldie85 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:55 pm No interior shots and misted fog lights. If the leather isn’t heated, no cruise or cup holders then I’d argue it isn’t perfect...
Cruise control and cup holders required for the perfect sports car. :roll: :cry: :? So glad mine isn't perfect. :wink:
Not in my eyes but it’s missing some features and I wouldn’t say it was perfect for the money.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 am

I will not buy a car unless it has cruise and heated seats. Thankfully, mine has nearly every option (more luck than judgement).

For £14K, I'd expect all options on that car. I also find the ad quite irritating in how it's worded.

Mine will be up for sale soon and I'm in quite a dilemma on how to price it as there are some odd variations for a 3.0 Si Coupe.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm

AnilS wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 am I will not buy a car unless it has cruise and heated seats. Thankfully, mine has nearly every option (more luck than judgement).

For £14K, I'd expect all options on that car. I also find the ad quite irritating in how it's worded.

Mine will be up for sale soon and I'm in quite a dilemma on how to price it as there are some odd variations for a 3.0 Si Coupe.
I’m sure you’ll get lots of “help” from the forum when you do price your car. For what it’s worth, from an inveterate market watcher, I think that £14k car would get a good deal of interest if it was a couple of grand cheaper (i.e. £12k).
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

AnilS

Post by AnilS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Love the "help" :lol:

I'm sure advice and guidance would be a plenty :rofl:

I still mine would be better than that car at £14K but £12K sounds sensible :)

I've been drafting my ad this morning so I'm done to refining it.
E86 Si Auto Coupe in Ruby Black.

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:28 pm

To me in an E86 heated seats have no benefit as use it as a summer car. My Volvo has them and probably use them a couple of times a year in really cold times. To me its not a deal breaker, as would rather get a straight and good car than 'just because heated seats and cruise control'. Mine has cruise control. No idea what the fuss about that is, as never use it.
Why people make such a song and dance about these items in their cars and how ' oh its better specced' yadda yadda. The more trinkets on these things as they get older, the more to go wrong. Was reading about a guy with an AMG having to strip down his seat to replace the heater sheet and the small fire that had melted the foam as it blew. Rather not have that situation near my butt. :cry:
E86 In sapphire black