Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise control retrofit without coding

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
BMW-Z4-Terry

Post by BMW-Z4-Terry » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am

hi all, so i want to fit cruise control to my Z4 Coupe 1970 i have found many kits on E bay which include wiring looms and the stalk etc, i have separately found BMW installation retrofit instructions, but what i cant find is a retrofit system that doesn't need coding, so my question folks , does a retrofit Cruise control kit exist that DOESN'T need coding after installing the wiring and stalk ?
thanks for any replies...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:07 pm

No coding is required. A stalk can be bought from main dealer for £110 ish and a custom loom for £20

BMW-Z4-Terry

Post by BMW-Z4-Terry » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:18 pm

hi srhutch,
really please to hear that so why do the sellers of kits say the car may need coding, as do the bmw installation instructions ? any ideas?

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:28 pm

BMW-Z4-Terry wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am hi all, so i want to fit cruise control to my Z4 Coupe 1970 i have found many kits on E bay which include wiring looms and the stalk etc, i have separately found BMW installation retrofit instructions, but what i cant find is a retrofit system that doesn't need coding, so my question folks , does a retrofit Cruise control kit exist that DOESN'T need coding after installing the wiring and stalk ?
thanks for any replies...
SRHutch does A great wiring loom. I bought the cruise control stalk from a BMW supplier (I think it was LLP parts), and got the wiring loom from SRHutch And installed it’s all last week. The instructions he also provided were excellent and even for my non-technical mind it was very easy to install.

There wasn’t any reprogramming/coding required, it was a simple plug and play.
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

BMW-Z4-Terry

Post by BMW-Z4-Terry » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:32 pm

thanks david, it seems companies selling the parts just cover their back by saying they need coding, or because they just plain dont know
thanks
terry

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:36 pm

The instructions mention coding but they really mean updating the VO.

Nothing required to function.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm

I fitted just using the stalk- plugged into existing loom

However mine is an early year 04 build I am not sure that looms were fitted after (I think) Oct 04 builds but I am open to correction

Once fitted don’t make the same mistake I did of expecting to see an ‘in operation’ light on the dash- there isn’t one!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:55 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm I fitted just using the stalk- plugged into existing loom

However mine is an early year 04 build I am not sure that looms were fitted after (I think) Oct 04 builds but I am open to correction

Once fitted don’t make the same mistake I did of expecting to see an ‘in operation’ light on the dash- there isn’t one!
That is a good point, the wiring loom is installed from the factory in early cars (2003/2004 era) whether it had cruise control fitted as an option or not.

I also found it a little confusing to use at first, but easy enough to figure out. Not having a light on the dash when it’s engage does make it a little less clear than it could be.
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:22 pm

The cruise is basic but works really well. It’s plug and play in the sense that it requires no coding. If you have a pre-facelift model you only need the stalk, if you have a post-facelift you need one of srhutch’s looms as well. bmwautodalys.lt (BMW Lithuania) were selling cruise control stalks for around £95 delivered in UK a couple of months ago.l
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe