Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New tyres

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Richfarr

New tyres

Post by Richfarr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Having recently purchased my Z (a 2.0 sports in original condition), as you would expect I have along list of mods, one as suggested by many to ditch the RFTs. The dilemma i had was the fronts needed to be replaced and were the originals, on the rear were almost new tyres. Yes, the car tram lined which was a bit if a shock at first, but the cost of 4 new tyres was not sitting well.
On Saturday I had two Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFTs fitted at Halfords. Wow what a difference, the ride is more comfortable and almost all the tramlining has gone. I guess rft have come a long way since the original tyres were fitted 13 years ago.
Have others had this experience?
Ps a big up to Halfords good price, a bookable time slot and great service
2007 2.0i S E85 Monaco Blue Beige roof and interior

Jameszy

New tyres

Post by Jameszy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:57 pm

Yeh I think you will find most people here would agree that the non-fts are a much better ride all round.

In your shoes, I would have sold off the rears and replaced all 4, preferably at a discount rate for doing so. It really is a night and day difference.

That said, you seem happy with it which of course is the main thing!

kis
Lifer
Lifer

New tyres

Post by kis » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:04 pm

You can always sell tyres second hand as well. Facebook or eBay. So had you replaced all 4 with non Runflats you could easily have sold the ‘nearly new’ rear Runflat ones to make a bit of money back.

Also depending on the brand, you don’t have to spend too much. Settle for some mid range tyres? Falken, Hankook and Uniroyals are the few that spring to mind without going full Premium. Many Z4 members use them and recommend.

The Runflats from Halfords probably set you back quite a bit. You always pay more for Runflats, don’t ask why! They’re defo not worth it!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New tyres

Post by buzyg » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Your one of the first to fit new RFT's and comment that you like them. I suspect None RFTs would feel even better, but if your happy with them from a handling perspective, then you can enjoy your Z4 in the knowledge that a stray tack isn't going to leave you at the side of the road. :thumbsup:

ERX

New tyres

Post by ERX » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:30 am

I had some old pilot sport 3s (Not runflat) which had low tread and were tramlining like crazy. I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 and it doesn't tramline at all anymore. I think if you had the original tyres on, the compound must have aged really badly by this point so I'm sure that would have contributed to your tramlining

Richfarr

New tyres

Post by Richfarr » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:55 pm

[/quote]
The Runflats from Halfords probably set you back quite a bit. You always pay more for Runflats, don’t ask why! They’re defo not worth it!
[/quote]

£240 for the pair, which was not bad i thought.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New tyres

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm

£240 for 2 isn't bad, depending on size. I'm just glad they made all the difference!

I had Pirelli run-flats on my 1 Series and once they got worn (usually worst on the outer edges) it used to tramline quite badly, but each time I replaced them it was just fine on the new ones.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Richfarr

New tyres

Post by Richfarr » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:32 pm

It will be interesting to see if the tramline issues come back as the tyres wear, also old ones had worn on outside