Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear brake shield replacement?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NickFrance

Post by NickFrance » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello everyone,

Still trying to get a very underloved Z4 back on the road, and I've come to the handbrake.

It used to have some brake, but not great, recently whilst applying the handbrake I felt something give and there was no more brake at all.

Rear wheel removed, brake disc removed I'm faced with a very rusted rear brake shield, I wouldn't normally mind about a thing like that, but to my horror the handbrake shoes are located with half-turn t-shaped screws into the shield, but both slots have rusted clear and the screws just pull through.

I've tried some form of repair (welding a new plate over and drilling slots) but it's too hard to get the placement perfect.

I'm wondering what's the best solution to my problem...

Split the old shield at it's thinnest point and install a new one (also slitting it to wrap around the hub)?

Remove the old shield by the book? Does this include pulling the hub? Possibly killing the bearings?

Changing the entire hub/bearing assembly for a 2nd hand? (These are the same as a 3-series correct?)

Any other ideas?

Thanks! Nick
2007 BMW E85 2.0

colb

Post by colb » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Using the cut and twist it on over the hub is the way to go if you don't want to disturb the bearings. Once on you may want to tack weld the split together in a few places otherwise put the cut through one of the bolt holes and use a washer to clamp it to the hub, may need a tack weld on the outer edge to close the cut there. There is a thread on here showng how its done.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

NickFrance

Post by NickFrance » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 am

Great, I'll give it a search! Thanks for the info
2007 BMW E85 2.0

colb

Post by colb » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:27 am

Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

NickFrance

Post by NickFrance » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks for the extra input.
I ended up cutting as suggested, but retained the 4 bolts + t-screw holes.

I followed the cuts from this video
https://youtu.be/faFito-vM1I
2007 BMW E85 2.0