Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VANOS rebuild - conclusions

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 am

To add, I think there could be a fourth option for VANOS unit removal: Looking at realoem one could order new threaded rods (studs) for a quid or two, then just cut and replace those that cause any trouble. They’re just M6 rods, OEM 07129904544 and 07129908109.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 pm

DMike wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 am To add, I think there could be a fourth option for VANOS unit removal: Looking at realoem one could order new threaded rods (studs) for a quid or two, then just cut and replace those that cause any trouble. They’re just M6 rods, OEM 07129904544 and 07129908109.
Having not done this...............yet.................I'll throw in probably a daft question then.
If the rods can be unscrewed to be replaced, is there an option to screw them out during removal of the unit, so it all lifts out together?
I guess you would need enough thread protruding to lock two nuts on the end? This is where my knowledge grinds to a halt.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 pm
DMike wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 am To add, I think there could be a fourth option for VANOS unit removal: Looking at realoem one could order new threaded rods (studs) for a quid or two, then just cut and replace those that cause any trouble. They’re just M6 rods, OEM 07129904544 and 07129908109.
Having not done this...............yet.................I'll throw in probably a daft question then.
If the rods can be unscrewed to be replaced, is there an option to screw them out during removal of the unit, so it all lifts out together?
I guess you would need enough thread protruding to lock two nuts on the end? This is where my knowledge grinds to a halt.
I took a lot of counsel from the guys on here who had done this and was prepared for the worst:

However on mine (2.2 so may be different clearances on bigger engines) a combination of undoing the front crossmember and levering on the front of the engine it popped out to complete surprise. I did have a contingency of undoing an engine mount and seeing if that gave more room but never needed it!

Also you aren't a million miles from me (ish) I'd happily help out!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 pm
I took a lot of counsel from the guys on here who had done this and was prepared for the worst:

However on mine (2.2 so may be different clearances on bigger engines) a combination of undoing the front crossmember and levering on the front of the engine it popped out to complete surprise. I did have a contingency of undoing an engine mount and seeing if that gave more room but never needed it!

Also you aren't a million miles from me (ish) I'd happily help out!
Thanks for the offer.
I always worry and over-investigate these things more when it's my own car.
Then I remember pulling Tornados apart and happily sending them off to blast around at zero feet, so why the hell do I worry about a car!!
If I got stuck I would certainly give you a shout, but I'd never knowingly inflict the A17 on anyone. :D

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Kudos for that- I for one am very sad they are no longer gracing our skies, having grown up at cottesmore its in the blood!

If I can do it in 4 hrs you'll walk it. Biggest problem I had to overcome was getting the new caps BACK on as they were a more snug fit and no leverage to be had

I'm always up and down to Elveden so A14 (now Huntingdon is sorted) is a breeze!

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:19 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm Kudos for that- I for one am very sad they are no longer gracing our skies, having grown up at cottesmore its in the blood!

If I can do it in 4 hrs you'll walk it. Biggest problem I had to overcome was getting the new caps BACK on as they were a more snug fit and no leverage to be had

I'm always up and down to Elveden so A14 (now Huntingdon is sorted) is a breeze!
Ah, Cottesmore. I stuffed a Capri through a wooden fence there, just where you turn off to the camp. Hit a snowdrift that had blown across from a field. 1986 that was, when I was young and foolish.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:19 pm
bigwinn wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:09 pm Kudos for that- I for one am very sad they are no longer gracing our skies, having grown up at cottesmore its in the blood!

Ah, Cottesmore. I stuffed a Capri through a wooden fence there, just where you turn off to the camp. Hit a snowdrift that had blown across from a field. 1986 that was, when I was young and foolish.
Werent we all bud!

EWS Delete PM me