Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4C...attempting to go from write-off to race car

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Toppy

Post by Toppy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Here's the start of a build thread as I attempt to take a write-off and turn it into a fully-fledged race car. It'll be slow as I don't have much in the way of time, space, tools or skills!

This isn't my first Z4C - I had a 3.0si back in 2008 which was my first sports car. I absolutely loved it and took it on a number of track days...

Sadly this was the demise of it as it was too new and nice for track use so I ended up selling it after a year and buying a 120d and a Toyota MR2 to race in the 750mc MR2 Championship.

After a couple of seasons racing, children arrived which put a stop to me spending money on cars so the MR2 was sold. Fast forward quite a few years and my only fix of track driving had been blagging drives in friend's Caterhams. Eventually, I capitulated and bought a Vauxhall VX220 with a friend to take on track. It was crap to drive on the road but great fun on track, but ultimately it wasn't racing.

Me and a few friends then had a hair-brained idea whilst in the pub to build our own cheap race car and a few days later bought a Ford KA to race in the EnduroKA series. 6 months of failing to be mechanics on a cold gravel driveway we eventually got it built ready for the first race in 2020...just as lockdown hit. Finally, we managed to get a couple of races under our belts, and have somehow had 17 hours of racing with no mechanical issues and plan to continue racing it for years to come.

A couple of races in and I had fully rekindled my love for racing and whilst the KA is hilariously fun, decided it was probably worth having something faster as well. Endless searching later and I drew up a shortlist of cars, mainly BMWs but with a real nostalgic draw towards the Z4C given it would likely fit well into the 750mc Roadsports class B. Then I saw Liam's build on here and that was pretty much my mind made up...he's pretty much written a set of instructions for me to follow :)

I was going to hold fire on a purchase given the lack of a fully flat driveway or garage at my house, but given relative rarity started looking at Copart auctions, Ebay and Autotrader in case of a bargain. Within a week two Z4Cs came up on Copart, both 2007 cars, both with fairly low miles and relatively limited damage. With my kids egging me on for both auctions I ended up winning the second car, a mere week after tentatively starting to browse!

Here's the pic from Copart of the car, a 2007 with 69k miles, and as is the joy of buying from Copart I knew the engine ran, but it didn't drive...hopefully down to a knackered track rod end and no more.

So, a nervous week passed wondering if I'd bought a money pit of or managed to get a steal. I've bought a few cars from Copart over the years and had a complete mixed bag but always get a bit worried ahead of arrival at what I've let myself in for. Anyway, it turned up on a trailer this week...

It started fine, and the delivery driver being a good bloke offered to try and drive it onto my driveway despite having one front wheel pointing in the wrong direction and after a few efforts managed to get it on there.

At first glance it's filthy both inside and out...I think the previous owner must've eaten food in it a lot given the amount of rank leftovers in and around the driver's seat. Still, nothing a good clean can't sort out. It was listed as black by Copart, but it seems to look black or deep blue depending on the light. I found its paint code and its carbonschwarz metallic, I quite like it, but it seems it might make finding used parts in that colour more challenging.

The plan is to get it cleaned up, sort the front left out - hopefully just a tie rod, wing and probably some arch lining/bumper fixings. Then a full service as well as sorting any weak spots - there's no history with the car so things like the water pump and vanos solenoid will be on the list to get sorted.

Once that's done the plan will be to sort brakes, suspension and buy a second set of wheels with track tyres and use it for a while as both road and track day car. Once I've got a good handle on it the work will begin on stripping conversion to proper race car...wish me luck!

bearded_ed

Post by bearded_ed » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:32 pm

This sounds like a brilliant project. Love the way you ended up back in a Z4C too.
Following along with great interest! :driving: :thumbsup:
Current E82 125i M Sport :driving:
SOLD :( 04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

Weston Matt

Post by Weston Matt » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Sounds like an amazing project. Wish I had the space and time to do this.

Good luck

fredej

Post by fredej » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Great first post! :thumbsup:
This will be an interesting project to follow. :)

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Definitely following with interest, should be a lot of fun! Speak to Liam off here - he's done a wonderfully detailed project thread converting his coupe to race in I think the tin tops - I'm sure he's a mine of information having just gone through the process!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Good luck with the project OP! I love these threads!
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

This looks like another great thread in the making so I'll be looking forward to future updates!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:07 pm

What a great story! Following with interest.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 am

Toppy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:15 pm This isn't my first Z4C - I had a 3.0si back in 2008 which was my first sports car. I absolutely loved it and took it on a number of track days...

My friend now owns what used to be your first Z4.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (236.65 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:13 am

What are the chances hey lucasxdiniz!
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather

Toppy

Post by Toppy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:02 am

lucasxdiniz wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 am My friend now owns what used to be your first Z4.
Awesome! Glad to know it lives on in the hands of an enthusiast :)

obewan

Post by obewan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:39 am

Good luck
I really enjoyed following Liam's thread so looking forward to this one :thumbsup:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:20 am

Toppy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:15 pm Then I saw Liam's build on here and that was pretty much my mind made up...he's pretty much written a set of instructions for me to follow
LOL - you're welcome! Best of luck with the build.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:27 am

Exciting plans. Count me in as a follower. :thumbsup:
lucasxdiniz wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 am My friend now owns what used to be your first Z4.
Nice!
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

jhpgram

Post by jhpgram » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:14 am

Toppy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:02 am
Awesome! Glad to know it lives on in the hands of an enthusiast :)
It sure does! Still living on as a great car running perfectly 12 years later. Driven as it's supposed to be!
3.0si Sport Coupe, Silver Grey | CSL reps | BC Racing Coilovers | Michelin PS4s | M-Tec Drilled Discs | Stubby | ZHP | Custom Exhaust | Individual Red/Black Interior | YellowStuff Pads | aFe Intake