Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My 6 to 10 speaker upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Instead of going on holiday next week, I’m planning to use the time and money to upgrade the sound on my Z4 which has business nav (the ‘ugly’ stereo) and the basic 6 speaker setup. I’m hoping there are some easy gains to improve the soundstage, clarity, depth and undistorted volume whilst retaining a completely OEM look and functionality, and ability to restore to (mostly) stock. I’ll document my experience here as, if it works, may be the ideal route for those with a basic stereo who, like me, wish the first owner had ticked the upgrade option.

Current setup:
- Business Nav (No separate screen) with retro phone prep
- Basic Speakers (x6)
- Bluemusic adaptor in place of the CD changer

Plan:
- Business CD ‘downgrade’ (Nav and CD changer are redundant)
- Amplifier in OEM location next to the battery
- Subs in the OEM locations, sealed boxes, run off the amp from the front high level speaker outputs
- Front 3-ways in the OEM locations, run off the amp from the front high level speaker outputs
- Rear mids remain stock

Purchased so far:
- Used BMW Business CD - £69
- Focal Access 165A3 3-way component speakers - £179 (with some sound deadening)
- Custom 3D printed mid-range mounts
- Hertz HCP 4D 4 Channel digital amplifier - £244
- Vibe amplifier wiring kit - £20
- DCSk 25m 16AWG speaker cable - £15
- Head unit connection extender - £15
- Reckhorn D165 6.5” subwoofers - 2x£33
- OEM subwoofer grills and 7x7mm square captive nuts - €90 delivered from Germany
- Misc. items to seal and line the speaker enclosures - c.£30
- 1m2 Noico sound deadening - £20
- various wiring tools, connectors, loom tape, screws and bolts
- 12mm mdf sheet

Total spend c.£700 excluding the replacement head unit.

I’ve so far built the subwoofer mounting plates using a cardboard template, and painted with high gloss which conveniently, but unnecessarily, matches the dash.
IMG_3491.jpeg
IMG_3491.jpeg (168.18 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
IMG_3496.jpeg
IMG_3496.jpeg (264.79 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
I'm sure I'll be back to ask questions of those who've been down this route already. Thanks to ph001, Magicarcher, Z4C_er and others who've posted their experiences and provided much of the inspiration for this little project!
2006 E85 3.0 SI Sport Manual
Midnight Blue IND / Extended Black Leather / MV2s

Prev: 2005 E85 2.0i SE Manual. Sapphire Black. poverty spec.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:28 pm

My previous 3.0 had the carver amp & speakers behind the seat - it makes the standard setup in my Coupe look like amateur night, though the S54 soundtrack easily makes up for it

Good luck with the fitting
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Great - keep us updated. Interested to know if you sealed the top ports up on the sub enclosure. Initially I left them open (as per stock subs) but it sounded dreadful!!! Fully sealing the enclosures was key.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Whilst you are at it you might want to consider upgrading the Bluemusic dongle to the new one with Bluetooth phone comms incorporated (shows up as Bluespeak). I had Bluetooth phone prep on my car but quality was terrible on an iPhone 8 and it would not connect to newer phones, Samsung S10 for example.

Have just done mine and the phone quality is very good. Comes with a mike and reasonable length cable but I found I had to extend it to put the new mike next to the original BMW one behind the steering wheel. Cost was about 47 EUR from Christian Wittich.
2007 E86 "work in progress"

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks for the info ph001. I’ve got everything I need to fully seal but will test as I go. Longer term I may experiment with alternative front plates to squeeze some additional volume in. Did you ultimately end up using the Reckhorns?

Jembo, it’s fair to say it’s crossed my mind more that once that a vehicle upgrade might have been a better use of resources!

Spiriteracer, Yes, I looked at that option (but too late) as I could have used that wiring instead of the other connection extender (doh!). Can you use SIRI etc. Through the bluespeak? I don’t really like to be on the phone whilst driving anyway, but SIRI could swing it...

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:41 am

Good luck in the upcoming days. Looks like you'll be a busy boy.
Can I ask why you got the head unit extender?
And what's first, the subs or the 3-ways and doors?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:43 am

ph001 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm Great - keep us updated. Interested to know if you sealed the top ports up on the sub enclosure. Initially I left them open (as per stock subs) but it sounded dreadful!!! Fully sealing the enclosures was key.
I mentioned these to Veryvery. Do you think there's any benefit in adding them to the sub mounting plates to get a bit more kick?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3257288 ... 3-_d7WAd7B
Here's a build using a small driver and passive radiator in a 3 litre box. 33Hz is pretty impressive...
https://soundblab.net/small-subwoofer-b ... n-to-33hz/

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 am

The thing with passive radiators is that the box volume and port length is absolutely critical, otherwise the radiator ends up being out of phase with the main driver and you basically get zero bass response!
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:51 am

Z4C_er wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:41 am Good luck in the upcoming days. Looks like you'll be a busy boy.
Can I ask why you got the head unit extender?
And what's first, the subs or the 3-ways and doors?
Just didn’t want to cut the original wiring so will attach all the new speaker wiring to the connector.

Choices choices! Heart says subs, head says fronts!

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:28 pm

1.5 days in and I'm probably about where I expected to be. Amp, Subs, 3-ways all in. Sub enclosures still to seal up as they definitely don't add anything of value in vented form.

The good:
- The Focal 3-ways along with the Hertz amp and sound deadening have transformed the front sound. I didn't try them passive, however I imagine this would still be a worthwhile upgrade

The bad:
- I'm getting some high(ish) frequency white noise from the amp on the speaker level inputs, even when the car stereo is off, rising with amp gain. Mostly through tweeters. I'm going to try separating the 'in' and 'out' speaker connections to the amp as they currently run together through the car from the front to the back. May also try a lower gain (currently set around 40%). Any other ideas?
- My 12v remote trigger for the amp, taken from white cable to the aerial booster, doesn't switch it on. Multi-meter is out of batteries. Auto-switch on from the speaker inputs works but I'd rather use the direct trigger. Hoping it's just a bad connection.

The ugly:
- Plastic is sharp, metal is sharp, cables are sharp. Buy shares in plaster manufacturers
- I had 30m of speaker cable including that which came with the amp wiring kit. It wasn't enough and for 'first fit' extra cabling is essential. My home hifi speakers are now closer together...
- The 5 metal clips along the top of the door cards are a real pain but will eventually pop if you pull/ lever hard enough
- Many dremel bits were destroyed expanding the tweeter hole to fit the Focals (take the grill out first)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Any audible noise on the speakers is usually a ground loop problem (basically your amp 0v and your head unit 0v aren’t exactly the same).

You could try fitting a ground loop isolator to the amp signal inputs, the difficulty is that they tend to rca in / out.

Where are you getting the power connection for your amp from?

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:32 am

I'm not sure where you've placed your amp, but as 'ph001' queried, where is the power and ground coming from? When I mounted the active sub, my power was direct to battery (about a metre of cable), and the ground is into the bulkhead right next to it with about 10cm of cable.
gnd.JPG
gnd.JPG (25.02 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
I ran the remote wire back to the head unit and tapped into the adapter harness which should be the blue cable. How are you running wires back and forth? Is it though the centre console (with items removed)?

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:14 am

Thanks both

Amp is next to the battery and wired directly to both terminals with short chunky cable (and in-line fuse)

Speaker wire pairs (‘in’ and ‘out’) both run around the full left hand side of the car next to the sill. It was a longer route but avoided the painful centre trim removal.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 am

Hmmm, if you remove the rear storage compartment, then you can feed wires directly through the bulkhead into the console area by merely lifting the handbrake and gearshift gaiter ashtray and trims. I was lucky when I removed the rear console as I used a little ratchet tool to get to the screws under the door, and therefore didn't have to remove the door. Thinking about it now, (but away from my car) could you pop off the little trim under the door (where the microswitch for the light is) and use a wire feeding tool to push through to the handbrake area? Anyway that's a bit of a last resort idea if you have no joy otherwise. Keep plugging away!

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 am

Hi, sorry was away over the w/e and just seen your question re Siri. Regret I never have used it anyway (or Bixby) - my luddite tendencies kicking in ! so can't help with that one. Re calls on the move I agree and I never make outgoing without stopping, but it is useful to be able to acknowledge the occasional incoming business calls I get as I travel quite a lot.
2007 E86 "work in progress"