Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forced admission for all Z4 e85/e86 (all engines)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm

I think she's using hers incorrectly?
hear.jpg
hear.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Gazzzz

Post by Gazzzz » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:28 pm I was going to ask about rain getting into the filter. Ive put a ramair cone filter on with a very rudimentary heat shield. I thought about altering the intake scoop but because I’m in Scotland, it’s kinda wet at times and I was a bit worried about water Getting to the filter.
Yes, during a verry rainy day it is better to not ride, but I am developing an other small part. We can keep it in the glove box and quickly fix it on the kidney grille in case of unexpected rain. I think it will be finish at the end of the year. :thumbsup:
beanie wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:06 pm
That looks really good.

As for the benefits, I think the only way to get any meaningful data would be to datalog before and after as a dyno won’t properly simulate the airflow.
Yes, I definitely think like you! It is really difficult to simulate "air" as a solid environnement. Use a large fan synchronized to vehicle speed on a dyno is not a bad idea but it's not the best way. For the comparison it is like simulate the penetration of a submarine using a water jet...
But after some tests, I confirme that my "internal datalog" say --> It work great ! :D

Honeslty, there is a downside anyway, it makes a little more noise than the original system.

@Ewazix:
You made me laugh, I add humor to the things I already like about the English (beer??)
Z4C_er wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:55 am As others have asked, when/if you are in a position to sell, I would be interested! Please put my name in to the queue!
Commando_Rob wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:48 pm Looks awesome, Are you going to be in a position to sell them? Like I said before would be interested in purchasing?
Jamie-innes wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:37 pm Very cool to see work like this done to a zed :thumbsup: the skills of some people amaze me sometimes!
Do you have any plans of selling some of these as I'd definitely be interested :driving:
I really don't planed to sell it initialy but why not.
I must watch if we can be more because it is really expensive for just one (more than 340€).
The price decrease a lot with quantity.
It could be cheaper using antoher material, but not a good idea in my opinon.

If we can be 4 or 5 it is really possible :thumbsup:
How to organize a group order? here, on this thread?

beanie

Post by beanie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:59 pm

As the benefits will increase with speed you’d need a fan that goes up to extremely high speed-I doubt your average tuner/dyno has a fan capable of simulating 150mph+!

You could do basic data logging with an OBD reader and app. I’ve got OBD fusion which can log the data from the onboard sensors-air intake temp, mass airflow, ignition advance etc.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Gazzzz

Post by Gazzzz » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:48 pm

I think we can find a fan like this, but that's not the real solution. It will just blow air. The car pierces (crosses?) the air like a shovel.
You could do basic data logging with an OBD reader and app. I’ve got OBD fusion which can log the data from the onboard sensors-air intake temp, mass airflow, ignition advance etc.
That's a verry good option. Is it a freeware? Wich OBD interface do you use?

Thank you everybody for your interest, that is the Z community!!! :driving:

beanie

Post by beanie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:22 pm

I’ve got a plx kiwi 2 (which is fairly old now) and ‘obd fusion’ app. I think the app was €10 but I expect there are other free ones available that will do similar.

Worth looking in to if only to satisfy your curiosity about the intake.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Gazzzz

Post by Gazzzz » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Hello everybody!
there are new people interested in the french forum. I am thinking of placing an order for 10 pieces soon. I am still awaiting the return of the printers but it is necessary to count around 240 € in somos taurus this time.

barnyg

Post by barnyg » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:11 pm

I think that might be a little over my budget, especially as I would probably need some sort of cover (that you mentioned before) to prevent rain ingress, as my car is very much a daily driver.
[SOLD] 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe: Montego Blue, Cirrus Dash, Cruise Control, Nav, 18" CSL Reps, Eibach lowered, MM Tips, ZHP Gearknob, Sport Button mod, GROM BT3

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:38 pm

Ewazix wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am There are of course a lot of similar products out there, this example has been optimised for maximum flow rates and is fully field tested. It is also available in various colours. My wife has had one fitted for a while and the problem has been occasional leaks around the inlet flange.

BMW_Shewee.png

Just a bit of British humour, it's a impressively researched project :thumbsup:
Oh man! This made me laugh so hard (just one potential "Typo", did you mean inlet or outlet flange?). :oops:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:44 pm

barnyg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:11 pm I think that might be a little over my budget, especially as I would probably need some sort of cover (that you mentioned before) to prevent rain ingress, as my car is very much a daily driver.
Do RPI still do their induction scoops? IIRC they were about £150, but I think someone on here did a 'replica'.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 pm

AveZ4coop wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:38 pm
Ewazix wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am There are of course a lot of similar products out there, this example has been optimised for maximum flow rates and is fully field tested. It is also available in various colours. My wife has had one fitted for a while and the problem has been occasional leaks around the inlet flange.

BMW_Shewee.png

Just a bit of British humour, it's a impressively researched project :thumbsup:
Oh man! This made me laugh so hard (just one potential "Typo", did you mean inlet or outlet flange?). :oops:
Now you are dragging a serious technical topic in to the sewer :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:38 pm

I'm very tempted.

But I have to ask myself, could I go faster by spending the same money elsewhere?

Gazzzz

Post by Gazzzz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:34 am

Liam22 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:38 pm I'm very tempted.

But I have to ask myself, could I go faster by spending the same money elsewhere?
Hello, there is many way I think.
Not for the same money but new tires have always been the best modification ever. And if you are a beginner (it does not seem to be your case), a half day on the circuit will make you faster.
Just a bit of French Humour :thumbsup:

Gazzzz

Post by Gazzzz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:41 am

Hello, there is many way I think.
Not for the same money but new tires have always been the best modification ever. And if you are a beginner (it does not seem to be your case), a half day on the circuit will make you faster.
Just a bit of French Humour :thumbsup:

More seriously I don't know, it's difficult on our NA engines. But if you whant more gain, you can add an K&N air filter to my part.
barnyg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:11 pm I think that might be a little over my budget, especially as I would probably need some sort of cover (that you mentioned before) to prevent rain ingress, as my car is very much a daily driver.
No problem, I search for a better price but I really don't whant to print it in a poor quality materials. And don't forget that this part makes the car little noisier, it can be a problem for a daily.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:50 am

I suppose it depends where and how you want to "go faster", the OP is probably going to see improvements in max power at max rev's at max speed by virtue of the ram-air effect (with some mapping) but will it just move the power curve up the rev range and impact drivability? Ideal for running the Mulsanne straight, not so sure about it's usefulness on the road or even an average track? (I've never raced so confess that I don't know).

But a nice project, it will be interesting to see whether full speed real time data will tell us the results rather than trying to find a 180mph wind tunnel with a dyno.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Gazzzz

Post by Gazzzz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:25 am

This is not what we feel during the driving experience. The gain isn't only at high speed or rpm, it's just everywhere, but you're right it increase with speed.
Just do a simple experiment (we all did it as a child):
Put your hand out of the car window while you are driving at 50kmh. Put it flat, opposite to the wind... Do you feel that force at low speed? Now, hide it behind the mirror, do you feel the difference! The original part is hidden behind the bumper...

This is not a fundamental discovery, just the use of an admission technique that has been around for years in competition.
You don't need any mapping if you have the original air box with the sensor.