Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New owner

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Stueyboy43

New owner

Post by Stueyboy43 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:01 am

Chris_D wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:55 am Welcome.
Have a butchers in the history and see if the cam cover gasket has been renewed. If it hasn't check for oil leaks, specifically at the back of the engine where the cam cover meets the head. If you sense any oil change your ccg.
Same goes for the CCV system. If it hasn't been renewed in the last 10 years consider renewing it.
Roof motor relocation to the boot is a popular mod amongst owners as its factory location is in a drain channel where it can suffer water ingress, corrosion and failure.
Thank you for the info, vannot see any oil leaks, but i have a wad of paperwork to go through so I will look at it all and see what has been done.

The roof motor relocation (and possible refurbishment if needed) is something i will do in time as a preventative measure

kis
Lifer
Lifer

New owner

Post by kis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21 am

Stueyboy43 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:37 am Hi thank you, I am near Leicester
Bit far then! I'm between London and Brighton.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Stueyboy43

New owner

Post by Stueyboy43 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am

kis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21 am
Stueyboy43 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:37 am Hi thank you, I am near Leicester
Just a little, thanks anyway though

Bit far then! I'm between London and Brighton.

colb

New owner

Post by colb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am

Snap, mine is a 2003 2.5 but in Silver, got mine last September and since then been going through it to sort a few things. Already have a Z3 so armed to the teeth with all the diagnostics kit. So far have changed the oil level sensor in the sump which was throwing a code. Replaced the cam cover gasket as it had a leak dripping on the exhaust causing it to burn and smoke. Also changed the CCV system, really didn't need doing but wanted to make sure it was all ok. Its a pain to change all the hoses and I ended up lifting the inlet manifold to get at the main valve unit and access to clip all its hoses in place. Full oil service, engine, gearbox and Diff, gearchange improved with new oil, don't rely on BMW saying its filled for life, same for the diff, fresh oil makes a difference. Handbrake is currently having attention, stripped off the rear disc/drums the other day and checked the handbrake shoes and cleaned the workings, loads of meat on the shoes so only pulled the adjusters and greased their internals with copper ease grease to keep them lubed. Same for the contact points on the disc pads.calipers when I refitted them. Adjusting the handbrake is an art on these, you have to set a service position on the internal cable that sits under the handbrake lever, access 6to that by removing the cover and gaiter inside the car. Its a alloy capped spring that has to be compressed so that its internal latch sets and holds the spring compressed whilst you use the wheel adjusters with a screw driver through one of the wheel bolt holes using a long flat blade screwdriver to turn the notched adjuster wheels up and down to get the desired position of the brake shoes. This is supposed to be wound up till the drum is locked by the shoes then backed off eight clicks. Once both sides are adjusted return to the interior and release the compressed service spring and pull the handbrake lever a few times to check operation. Finally apply lever three clicks, they say the drums should not be able to be turned at this setting. Did mine but still not happy, needs a really good pull to hold on a hill, mine has three clicks.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Stueyboy43

New owner

Post by Stueyboy43 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks Colb.

I have got it into a friendly garage today to give it a once over, oil and filter change and getting the handbrake looked at.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New owner

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 am

Welcome aboard.
Few months back I bought a Sterling Grey 2.5 Auto for the wife.
Reg was LJ53 HJO, so very close to yours.
Apart from the gearbox, and the fact hers has Cruise Control ,they're as good as twins. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Stueyboy43

New owner

Post by Stueyboy43 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 am Welcome aboard.
Apart from the gearbox, and the fact hers has Cruise Control ,they're as good as twins. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much. They are twins, just not identical! :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New owner

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:51 pm

Stueyboy43 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 am Welcome aboard.
Thank you very much. They are twins, just not identical! :)
Hmmm, plus she now has a different reg, with her name on instead.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

New owner

Post by paddy wright » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:57 pm

Welcome a great wee find there. :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!