Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for help with my new (second hand) E85

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Penelope

Post by Penelope » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm

HinesBeans wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm
patriot66 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 pm Like many other forum members I chose to wrap mine in carbon effect. I used quality 3M wrap back in April'16 and it shows no sign of peeling or bubbling :thumbsup: 20200611_201902.jpg

Looks good that mate, :thumbsup: I’ve been quoted £160 for the full interior in Carbon.

Does that include removal and refitting the trim as well as wrapping and the wrap material? If so it's a bargain! Did mine myself. Was thinking of offering it as a service as I know a lot of people don't want the hassle. I wouldn't do it for £160 though!
Attachments
104010784_1222005138143446_7078562032968294439_o.jpg
104010784_1222005138143446_7078562032968294439_o.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 333 times
2008 BMW Z4 MSport 3.0 Si Coupe in Stratus Grey with Red New England Extended Leather Upholstery. Purchased 14 December 2019 via the Forum with just 25k miles.

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:02 am

@Penelope

I got quoted 200 for the material and the wrapping but that quote was on the premise that I would remove the pieces myself, which having now wrapped my dash myself, makes me realise that the removal is definitely where they would be looking to charge more because the centre console is a pain but the wrapping itself I would imagine would be nothing to a pro.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:22 am

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:47 am
Dr. Zed wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:46 pm Thanks for the reply kis. Much appreciated!
I've come across that company a few times on this forum (and from my own research). I was looking for something a little closer since driving to Aylesbury is quite a while when you factor in that the car will need to be left there more than likely. I get that it's not that from Swindon but I'm hoping to find some forum members that know people even more local. But I will definitely keep them mind. The fact they keep coming up on this forum must surely be a good sign.

I've never seen leather personally. Piano black would be nice but I'm not a fan of the shiny-look, also it scratches easily. I hadn't thought about it bubbling, surely this wouldn't be an issue if it was done correctly though would it? I've contacted Alan regardless though, so thanks for the link.

You've provided plenty of information, thanks! And thanks for welcoming me :)
Hi, Royals do an exchange service, so that you don't have to be without the steering wheel or the car. I've just had a steering wheel refurbished by them, excellent service (and cheaper than other trimmers Ive looked at) :thumbsup:
2nd that,use their exchange service at Royals,very good price for great work/end product,circa £150?
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:28 am

Dr. Zed wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm Hi all!

Quite new here but been reading some interesting topics/posts over the last few weeks.
I bought a Z4 recently. I got a decent deal on it but as with any second hand car of this age it does have some issues I'd like to fix.

Apologies in advance if this post is long!

Firstly, the passenger window won't go down. I've read a few things on here about regulators etc and I'm looking at getting a repair kit but thought someone might point me in the right direction anyways. I can hear the motor working, and sounds good. I had a window come off the rails in an old Renault of mine years ago. Could this cause it?

The previous owner was kind enough to fork out the cost for a new set of angel eyes which is lovely. However, they were never wired up and so currently it's still operating standard halogen bulbs and no angel eye function. I have zero knowledge or confidence with electrics so does anyone know where I might get this down in and around the Swindon area? I'd like to get the Angel Eyes working (I believe they're LEDs) and also add a HID kit.

And lastly, has anyone got any experience in re-trimming the steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake? I've read a few posts on this forum, unfortunately many of these How To guides have now no longer got images so it's difficult to follow a guide. The same applies to wrapping the centre console and dashboard in carbon fibre. I'm not a fan of the brushed ali look. Any recommendations of where to get this done or where best to get wrap and re-trim kits would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it all makes sense. Just really want to get the car more in line with my taste for it :)
Re the Window regulator,rs very possibly the cause of it,as they tend to break...did 2 or possibly 3 on my first z in 6 years,and 1 on my current z in past 8 years.
Don't buy it from BMW,get it from Eurocarparts, as They Supply Exactly the same part that BMW do,or certainly have done whenever I have got them...first part was a BMW supplied part,from then on used eco,and was exactly same part,as I think only one company make these for the e85/86 z,or certainly that was the case until a couple if years ago, don't expect that to have changed much.
Eurocarparts were around £35 cheaper from memory.
Hopefully this helps 😊
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:05 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:28 am
Re the Window regulator,rs very possibly the cause of it,as they tend to break...did 2 or possibly 3 on my first z in 6 years,and 1 on my current z in past 8 years.
Don't buy it from BMW,get it from Eurocarparts, as They Supply Exactly the same part that BMW do,or certainly have done whenever I have got them...first part was a BMW supplied part,from then on used eco,and was exactly same part,as I think only one company make these for the e85/86 z,or certainly that was the case until a couple if years ago, don't expect that to have changed much.
Eurocarparts were around £35 cheaper from memory.
Hopefully this helps 😊
I actually ordered one from ebay. Did the job in the end eventhough the white wheel inside the mechanism was a completely different size. Took about 10 hours because I couldn't get the window to line up on the back runner in the door. All sorted now though. 15 quid part with postage so happy out.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

HinesBeans

Post by HinesBeans » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:31 pm

Penelope wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:48 pm
HinesBeans wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm
patriot66 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Like many other forum members I chose to wrap mine in carbon effect. I used quality 3M wrap back in April'16 and it shows no sign of peeling or bubbling :thumbsup: 20200611_201902.jpg

Looks good that mate, :thumbsup: I’ve been quoted £160 for the full interior in Carbon.

Does that include removal and refitting the trim as well as wrapping and the wrap material? If so it's a bargain! Did mine myself. Was thinking of offering it as a service as I know a lot of people don't want the hassle. I wouldn't do it for £160 though!
It was mate, they said I’d have to wait around for about 4 hours or it was £120 if I removed and posted myself. So yeah £160 is a bargain.
E85 3.0i Manual