Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to treat engine well?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm

I wouldn’t rev any car from cold, doesn’t make sense to me - cold oil, not flowing properly round the engine yet so not lubricating it = increased wear on metallic components. However I’m not a mechanic.

On my M I follow pretty much what R60BBA says above, though not the details of rev more, then more, then max, nor the cool down. I try not to go over 2k revs until it’s at 75 degrees or so, which makes for a very pedestrian first 5 miles :lol: Takes about 10 miles for my oil to get up to operating temp, or 15/20mins.

As the car has barely moved for 9 weeks because of the ‘rona, and because it needed a new O2 sensor which was replaced today, I shall be going for an Italian tune up tomorrow :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri May 22, 2020 11:45 pm

Bing wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm I shall be going for an Italian tune up tomorrow :driving:
Enjoy :driving: :thumbsup: