Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone doing PDR from home?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 pm
wonkydonkey wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 pm Z4C_er Something tells me it wouldn't be a good use of my time to write it all up for you. Please just take the time to listen to at least a couple of experts, and to the reasoning behind their instructions.
<Excessive typing that added nothing to this debate>
You appear to be missing the key goal to be achieved by us all staying indoors - we slow down the spread so that those who have extreme reactions to the virus don't all get rushed to ICU at once. Nobody is claiming that staying indoors somehow cures the virus. Is that what you think we're all hoping to achieve by staying in? I have now given up two four day weekends in a row, working till gone 10 o'clock most nights for the last 10 days to design emergency ventilators that will reduce the chances of patients dying because we ran out of ventilators. It pains me to think that so many of us are doing our own bits to try to help the country, yet others are putting themselves first in a defiant display of selfish arrogance. Perhaps it's time to reassess your priorities.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

eddiemunster

Post by eddiemunster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 am

Jl-c wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 pm if you want to be a total dick and chance killing someone vulnerable ( I couldn’t care less if you kill yourself ) ... I am staying at home.
How is he killing someone vunerable? If the person doing the dent removal is healthy, and wishes to make the choice themselves, and they're going to adhere to the current safety guidelines, then why would anyone be at risk? People still need to make a living, and the economy needs people to do just that, provided they're safe; not everyone has the choice.

It's bizarre, the country was in the midst of an obesity epidemic, whereby that's now a bigger killer than cancer, but people weren't being told to step away from the cakes a month ago, they were quite happy to eat and smoke themselves into oblivion.

People don't agree with the OP, which is fine, and in truth I'm playing devil's advocate, but at the end of the day the loudest message people have learned over the last few years is that you cannot and should not shout someone into agreeing with you.

Just lock the thread and move onto something else.

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 am

eddiemunster wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 am
Jl-c wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 pm if you want to be a total dick and chance killing someone vulnerable ( I couldn’t care less if you kill yourself ) ... I am staying at home.
How is he killing someone vunerable? If the person doing the dent removal is healthy, and wishes to make the choice themselves, and they're going to adhere to the current safety guidelines, then why would anyone be at risk? People still need to make a living, and the economy needs people to do just that, provided they're safe; not everyone has the choice.

It's bizarre, the country was in the midst of an obesity epidemic, whereby that's now a bigger killer than cancer, but people weren't being told to step away from the cakes a month ago, they were quite happy to eat and smoke themselves into oblivion.

People don't agree with the OP, which is fine, and in truth I'm playing devil's advocate, but at the end of the day the loudest message people have learned over the last few years is that you cannot and should not shout someone into agreeing with you.

Just lock the thread and move onto something else.
Hmm devils advocate, not that I would ever take that stance :rofl: I can explain how the OP could kill someone. As purely an example, before I had my first stroke I didn't bother regularly checking my blood pressure, lets face it who does? When I had my first stroke they discovered I had blood pressure of 200 odd over 120! Way way too high, in fact I should have been dead :cry: but I felt OK so why would I check. If I were to go to the OP's house to do some work and he made me a cup of tea, if he or someone in his family was carrying Covid-19 and didn't know it ( lets face it, no-where near enough people have been tested yet! ) then I could catch it. With Hypertension that could kill me. Now all this is IF and MAYBE granted but it is possible. Which was the point I was making. We have voted in a government ( and no NOT going into politics here ) to look after us. They tell us to stay put at home because they need to limit the spread of this virus whilst they try and sort a cure, is that not just plain common sense? Seems to be to me. The more people wander about they COULD be unwittingly be spreading it. Does it not make sense to do what the experts advise? After all we all come on here for advice because we don't know it all, don't we? And I totally agree with the point you make ref obesity and smoking but that cannot be caught from another person it is just a lack of sense/will power/self worth, but their choice.
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 pm
Z4C_er wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:07 pm
I don't get it. Have I offended you because I'm blunt?
No - I'm from the north! I think most people who have concerns about your position will point to your apparent willingness to put your interests ahead of those other members of our society who are less able to look after themselves and are at greater risk - that is car vis life. Now it might be a close call to decide for car forum members but I'm on the side of life.
For goodness sake, I get it. I said I am staying at home. I just laid out some facts around the matter.
I have an elderly neighbour which I am always helping. I know if she gets it, she's not going to do well.
I also have a mother and care greatly if she gets it. She's staying at home, but like most is climbing the walls.
I wear masks, I wash etc. I follow the guidelines and more.
I asked about the car, as I know there are people out there who are bored as hell, and would like a bit of income.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

eddiemunster

Post by eddiemunster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:37 am

Jl-c wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 am We have voted in a government ( and no NOT going into politics here ) to look after us. They tell us to stay put at home because they need to limit the spread of this virus whilst they try and sort a cure, is that not just plain common sense?
That's not strictly true; they've told people that non-essential travel should be avoided, but someone that has to earn a living but cannot work from home, doing a job that allows them to maintain a safe distance, would be allowed to travel.

The bigger issue in this thread is that you cannot shout someone into submission, it doesn't work; they can choose to accept your opinion or they don't, you can't force them. Often, the rabble mentality that ensues is more offensive/oppressive that the initial misguided question.

Anyway, things to do 'n all that, so I'll bow out.... :D

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:01 am

Suggest some people watch this ICU nurse’s opinion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-521655 ... says-nurse
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:11 am

Z4C_er wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 am
Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 pm
Z4C_er wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:07 pm
I don't get it. Have I offended you because I'm blunt?
No - I'm from the north! I think most people who have concerns about your position will point to your apparent willingness to put your interests ahead of those other members of our society who are less able to look after themselves and are at greater risk - that is car vis life. Now it might be a close call to decide for car forum members but I'm on the side of life.
For goodness sake, I get it. I said I am staying at home. I just laid out some facts around the matter.
I have an elderly neighbour which I am always helping. I know if she gets it, she's not going to do well.
I also have a mother and care greatly if she gets it. She's staying at home, but like most is climbing the walls.
I asked about the car, as I know there are people out there who are bored as hell, and would like a bit of income.
backpedal.gif
backpedal.gif (2.45 MiB) Viewed 540 times
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

kinger

Post by kinger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 am

I'm from the south, not that makes any difference in my opinion.
My neice is an ICU nurse treating Covid 19 patients, i dont want her to be in more danger then really is neccessary.
i dont give a s**t if anyone wants to catch it ...go out and lick handrails for all i care...but when you start to coff and your sore throat is killing you, please stay at home and dont pass it on to my family because you got a lil ding in your wing..
Mike

Current - E89 35is Saphire Black
Previous- E89 35i Space Grey

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 am

Ewazix wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:11 am
Z4C_er wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 am
Crazy Harry wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:46 pm No - I'm from the north! I think most people who have concerns about your position will point to your apparent willingness to put your interests ahead of those other members of our society who are less able to look after themselves and are at greater risk - that is car vis life. Now it might be a close call to decide for car forum members but I'm on the side of life.

backpedal.gif
If you care to follow my comments, my stance hasn't changed one iota from when I started.

Not one.

So petty.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:28 am

eddiemunster wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 am It's bizarre, the country was in the midst of an obesity epidemic, whereby that's now a bigger killer than cancer, but people weren't being told to step away from the cakes a month ago, they were quite happy to eat and smoke themselves into oblivion.
Careful buddy. I totally concur and alluded to food-fatties and smokers having a massively detrimental effect on the health system capacity in my Darwin thread and subsequently incurred the wrath of all the handbag-swingers on this forum. There are more than a fair few of those here it seems!
Z4C_er wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 am For goodness sake, I get it. I said I am staying at home. I just laid out some facts around the matter.
Your only mistake here was to rattle the hornets nest and cajole all the old ladies of the forum into berating you.
This thread should have stopped at my sarcastic post after your original post but look how it’s mobilised and provoked all the handbag-swinging, sanctimonious Daily Mail readers into a frothing, steaming fit!
Hilarious.

As a practical suggestion (which I haven’t really seen in this thread yet?) why not get yourself clued up into actually having a crack at repairing the dents yourself? Most of the jobs I have done on my car have been successfully completed after researching and having a go instead of taking it to a garage etc.
Plenty of vids on youtube...

:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am

kinger wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 am I'm from the south, not that makes any difference in my opinion.
My neice is an ICU nurse treating Covid 19 patients, i dont want her to be in more danger then really is neccessary.
i dont give a s**t if anyone wants to catch it ...go out and lick handrails for all i care...but when you start to coff and your sore throat is killing you, please stay at home and dont pass it on to my family because you got a lil ding in your wing..
Mike
You know what? I actually don't care if I get it. I'd rather take the risk and get it now, before it mutates (which is highly likely according to some virologists) and becomes what is called 'weaponised'. I have friends that have had it and all have popped out the other side. It was pretty sh*tty, apparently, but only somewhat worse than a flu. They temporarily lost their taste etc., but they did OK.

But, I have a family, and putting them at risk maybe isn't the best idea. In my own self, I feel they'll be OK. But I'll play it safe.

But.... this has been mentioned a lot. We aren't reaching herd immunity. The worst is yet to come.

What I am seeing though is herd mentality, which sometimes worries me more.

kinger

Post by kinger » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 am

Z4C_er wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am
You know what? I actually don't care if I get it. I'd rather take the risk and get it now, before it mutates (which is highly likely according to some virologists) and becomes what is called 'weaponised'.
Its already mutated to 8 variations, weaponization is something that gets done to it...not what it mutates into..

you just lost me there
Mike

Current - E89 35is Saphire Black
Previous- E89 35i Space Grey

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:54 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:28 am
eddiemunster wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 am It's bizarre, the country was in the midst of an obesity epidemic, whereby that's now a bigger killer than cancer, but people weren't being told to step away from the cakes a month ago, they were quite happy to eat and smoke themselves into oblivion.
Careful buddy. I totally concur and alluded to food-fatties and smokers having a massively detrimental effect on the health system capacity in my Darwin thread and subsequently incurred the wrath of all the handbag-swingers on this forum. There are more than a fair few of those here it seems!
Z4C_er wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 am For goodness sake, I get it. I said I am staying at home. I just laid out some facts around the matter.
Your only mistake here was to rattle the hornets nest and cajole all the old ladies of the forum into berating you.
This thread should have stopped at my sarcastic post after your original post but look how it’s mobilised and provoked all the handbag-swinging, sanctimonious Daily Mail readers into a frothing, steaming fit!
Hilarious.

As a practical suggestion (which I haven’t really seen in this thread yet?) why not get yourself clued up into actually having a crack at repairing the dents yourself? Most of the jobs I have done on my car have been successfully completed after researching and having a go instead of taking it to a garage etc.
Plenty of vids on youtube...

:thumbsup:
Thanks Chris! :thumbsup:

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:55 pm

kinger wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 am
Z4C_er wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 am
You know what? I actually don't care if I get it. I'd rather take the risk and get it now, before it mutates (which is highly likely according to some virologists) and becomes what is called 'weaponised'.
Its already mutated to 8 variations, weaponization is something that gets done to it...not what it mutates into..

you just lost me there
Mike
I was quoting a virologist. OK.