Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DLV exhaust mod in Sussex?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Davz

Post by Davz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm I wouldn't bother. It sounds flat as f**k anyway
:thumbsup:
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:51 pm

So does anyone know of any good exhaust places in Sussex?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:52 pm

Davz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm I wouldn't bother. It sounds flat as f**k anyway
I love my DLV mod exhaust and certainly don’t find it “flat as f**k”. It has a nice deep rumble at low revs, a hard edged roar near the red line and it pops and crackles nicely on overrun and fast down shifts.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:02 pm

ErrErrminator wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:52 pm
I love my DLV mod exhaust and certainly don’t find it “flat as f**k”. It has a nice deep rumble at low revs, a hard edged roar near the red line and it pops and crackles nicely on overrun and fast down shifts.
That sounds like what I'm after.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

Davz

Post by Davz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:14 pm

Have heard one and didn't like it at all, especially when the revs are slowing after a blip....sounded like an asthmatic drawing in a deep breadth.
The price dlv charged for butchering a can was hilarious!
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Why is that quoted as me when greg81 said it :thumbsdown: ....perfectly happy with mine :D
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

greg81

Post by greg81 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:17 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm
Why is that quoted as me when greg81 said it :thumbsdown: ....perfectly happy with mine :D
I've noticed this a few times with quoting being buggy

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:31 pm

I have a DLV box and I absolutely love it massive improvement to the car and really brings it to life (from a sound perspective), have had it for almost 3 years and I still smile when I hear it :wub:
We vid to give you an idea of the sound, worth noting, the connecting sleeves that Mike provided rotted out of mine and I had to take it to an exhaust place to have a stainless steel sleeve welded on in place, this is def the best option.

Not sure if he still does the exchange as before and I had a look and his website isnt live however he is active on Instagram @the zed shed (no spaces - for some reason it was starred out)

2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:31 pm I have a DLV box and I absolutely love it massive improvement to the car and really brings it to life (from a sound perspective), have had it for almost 3 years and I still smile when I hear it :wub:
We vid to give you an idea of the sound, worth noting, the connecting sleeves that Mike provided rotted out of mine and I had to take it to an exhaust place to have a stainless steel sleeve welded on in place, this is def the best option.

Not sure if he still does the exchange as before and I had a look and his website isnt live however he is active on Instagram @the zed shed (no spaces - for some reason it was starred out)

If you want to hear the exhaust, then what's not to like? My son got a DLV mod on his zed, I liked it and got one on mine - though I asked Mike to tone mine down a bit, which he did. We're very happy with them. I'm sure he still does them, but I also know there's a few hours work in doing them. Not sure if those photos are maybe from some early versions he did, as he uses straight pipe and not flexi. How it's joined up I don't know, but it is certainly more neighbour-friendly than a back box delete.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:44 pm

So I didn't want this thread to turn into 'should I have a DLV exhaust', more of is there a decent exhaust place in Sussex that can do this.

I've heard It's Joel and his back box delete and that wouldn't be great for a daily driver, so the DLV is the best compromise between a full on expensive system and the frankly muted sound if the standard system.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:18 pm

Send machine money a pm. He is in oxford, so a little drive, but he might be able to help.

I do know a baby monkey was recently born so his hands might be full though.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:46 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:18 pm Send machine money a pm. He is in oxford, so a little drive, but he might be able to help.

I do know a baby monkey was recently born so his hands might be full though.
I saw a recent post suggesting such but it ended that he wasn't doing them. I may pm him just to check though as things do change.

rdgreen

Post by rdgreen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 pm

From what I see, on the pictures provided, is that originally the pipes were not connected internally and allowed the gases to percolate through the fiberglass "wadding" before exiting a separate set of pipes....thus that's how you get the silencing. By directly joining the entry and exit pipes with some convoluted flexible piping all you are doing is effectively removing the back box (there are no holes in convoluted tubing....small leaks maybe, but no holes). Any difference you hear is probably down to what you want to hear, and only a properly conducted sound test will produce convincing evidence one way or another. I stand to be corrected but there's no way that system can produce any less noise than just whacking on a couple of bits of m/s pipe in place of the back box....but it's your money. :D
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 pm

dhobbs wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:51 pm So does anyone know of any good exhaust places in Sussex?
hastings classic custom exhausts do a good job. I had a muffler delete done there and the welds, tips etc are nice and they offer a lifetime guaranty. I don’t know if they would cut your oem box open but I know they have alternatives. I’m hoping to book in soon myself.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 pm

[quote=rdgreen post_id=&lt;a href="tel:<a href="tel:1730313">1730313</a>"&gt;1730313&lt;/a&gt; time=&lt;a href="tel:<a href="tel:1585690681">1585690681</a>"&gt;1585690681&lt;/a&gt; user_id=33535]
From what I see, on the pictures provided, is that originally the pipes were not connected internally and allowed the gases to percolate through the fiberglass "wadding" before exiting a separate set of pipes....thus that's how you get the silencing. By directly joining the entry and exit pipes with some convoluted flexible piping all you are doing is effectively removing the back box (there are no holes in convoluted tubing....small leaks maybe, but no holes). Any difference you hear is probably down to what you want to hear, and only a properly conducted sound test will produce convincing evidence one way or another. I stand to be corrected but there's no way that system can produce any less noise than just whacking on a couple of bits of m/s pipe in place of the back box....but it's your money. :D
[/quote]

Look at mr Tourette’s reply on the previous page, to my identical question & you will see the answer :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold