Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Question - gearbox and diff oil changes whilst isolated

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rooha

Post by rooha » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:09 pm

It seems pretty likely that we are all going to get locked up in our houses at some point in the coming weeks. :| So with that in mind i'm casting around for jobs to do. New floors need laying, walls need painting, sheds need clearing, zed needs a deep deep clean and god knows what else. I did my engine oil a few weeks ago and its been on my mind to do the gearbox and diff. So the research started and the confusion set in. Dozens of threads, loads of discussion but never is there just a "get this, its bog standard and will do the job" style answer.

Can anyone answer the following questions simply for a pretty standard 2003 2.5

What oil from eurocarparts or amazon for the Diff - and how much to get..
What oil from eurocarparts or amazon for the gearbox - and how much to get..

if you want to say why you choose the one you do then thats cool but not necessary :P If you want to recommend any other jobs we all should be doing then go for it ...........

By the way this for the change seems pretty bog standard.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 1OLE&psc=1

skelters

Post by skelters » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Eurocarparts or Amazon?

Try Opie Oils as they'll probably be cheaper.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/

Put the car reg into the website and it'll tell you what you need.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Assuming it doesn't have a LSD;
75w90 GL5 for diff
75w80 GL4 for gearbox
You'll likely need a litre and a bit of both, best to get 2 litre bottles just in case.

rooha

Post by rooha » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:26 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm Assuming it doesn't have a LSD;
75w90 GL5 for diff
75w80 GL4 for gearbox
You'll likely need a litre and a bit of both, best to get 2 litre bottles just in case.
well ... that seemed simple ! :D

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Another vote for Opie oils, cheapest price and excellent service, shipped to your door! :thumbsup:
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Do any of you use Redline?
https://www.redlineoil.com/
I used this in several vehicles (including my 98 Z3). They have a "find products for my vehicle" button.

I have ordered both trans. and diff. oil for my planned change for the Z4. You can order direct from Redline or wherever. I got a gallon of each for about $100 USD total for both, delivered. Don't know if it is practical for those outside the US but the products are very well respected in most auto/motorcycle circles.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 pm

Old-Duckman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:46 pm Do any of you use Redline?
https://www.redlineoil.com/
I used this in several vehicles (including my 98 Z3). They have a "find products for my vehicle" button.

I have ordered both trans. and diff. oil for my planned change for the Z4. You can order direct from Redline or wherever. I got a gallon of each for about $100 USD total for both, delivered. Don't know if it is practical for those outside the US but the products are very well respected in most auto/motorcycle circles.
Never used it in the UK, not due to quality but because it's so bloody expensive compared to UK produced oils. Heard its a top quality product mind, so I would happily use it given the option... and the lack of expense!

colb

Post by colb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Opie Oils, delivered to your door, got mine a few weeks ago for my 2.5
Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid - 1 Litre x 2

Safety Data Sheet: https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/msds/fuchs/2 ... 75W-80.PDF
£19.92
Fuchs TITAN SINTOPOID SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil - 1 Litre x 2

Safety Data Sheet: https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/msds/fuchs/2 ... 75W-90.PDF
£21.58
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 am

Hi OP, just checking is it a Manual gearbox or an Auto? Will need just over 1 litre for a manual gearbox and just over 1 litre for the Diff (make sure you order two litres of each). An Auto is a different Kettle of fish entirely :driving: .
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Diff is 1.0 litres (non-M)
Gearbox is 1.2 litres (manual)

BMW tend to use Castrol for OEM fluids (certainly true for the diff). This is what I used on the std diff https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-737-castro ... af-xo.aspx

I happen to have Redline MT90 in the gearbox. It is unbelievably "thin" (like water) but has great protection under extreme use. Probably overkill for a road car.

Jfgoldfish

Post by Jfgoldfish » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Great minds think alike! - Its one of the jobs on my list for this week.
I will be putting redline MTL in mine when my oil arrives. I paid £34 for 2 litres delivered. I have been told it works well in our gearboxes.
Hopefully our postal system doesn't stop working before then! :?
I still haven't made up my mind on diff oil. I cant see it making too much difference (correct me if I'm wrong!) so I will take a look at opieoils offerings and go for what is reasonably cheap.
2006 Z4 2.0i Ruby Black

healeyneil

Post by healeyneil » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:26 pm

I bought my diff and gearbox oils from Opie. Brilliant service. I also bought a large oil syringe from them at the same time, partly because the diff doesn't have a drain plug. I spent an age sooking out the old oil with it.
Both lots of oil were still very clean despite over 100k miles ( I'm assuming the oils hadn't been changed before)

rooha

Post by rooha » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 am

well, in the end i went with castrol from opie oils (but did i get the right ones for a manual 2.5 ... who knows!) - they were offering £10 off for new orders or free delivery over £60 which worked out about the same as amazon. And to be fair to amazon they are prioritising other things over gearbox oils and said it coujld be up to a month.... rightly so. cheapo oil syringe on the way via fleabay as well....

I actually ordered about 30 seconds before boris announced the lockdown last night ... panicked that everything everywhere would go into lockdown and somehow my brain thought that if i hit order before he announced anything it would still arrive. Im such an idiot.

Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid - 1 Litre x 2
Safety Data Sheet: https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/msds/castrol ... 75W-80.pdf
&
Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Car Gearbox Oil - 1 Litre x 2
Safety Data Sheet: https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/msds/castrol ... 75W-90.pdf

Capa

Post by Capa » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am

I threw in a 50:50 mix of Redline 75/80 & Redline D4 ATF. Totally transformed the box, would definitely do again.
E86 | Stratus Grey

colb

Post by colb » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:42 am

Just changed mine, used an electric oil pump to refil the gearbox, worked like a dream, use 1 full bottle and part of second bottle before it overflowed. Filler and drain plugs were very tight, don't think they have ever been out, two ring spanners linked together to extend the pull length proved fine for getting them out, no room for a socket and breaker bar at the side for the filler hole.
When it came to the Diff, I couldnt get the 14mm hex key into the filler plug, its at an angle and not much room to get in there, gave up in the end and will have another go when I get a new plug on hand in case I ruin the one in there getting it out, going to have to hammer the hex bit into the plug as I think its got a bit of damage from my efforts to get it to turn when not fully engaged.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url