Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 centre silencer

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Davz

N52 centre silencer

Post by Davz » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Looking to replace the centre silencer .....does anyone know the size of the OEM centre silencer, length/height/width.

Any help much appreciated, otherwise it's car up on ramps with a tape measure in the wet and cold weather!
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

skelters

N52 centre silencer

Post by skelters » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 pm

2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Liam22

N52 centre silencer

Post by Liam22 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 pm

I have an N52 exhaust with centre silencer deleted.

It's not on the car (so easy to measure length) and not going back on (if that's of interest).

Davz

N52 centre silencer

Post by Davz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 am

Liam, if it's not too much trouble, when you get chance could you measure the silencer? I'm replacing the centre box with an X-pipe but also want to put in a mid resonator to keep drone to a minimum. I have read conflicting threads that a magnaflow 5"x9" will fit, the height being the issue, for me the length with an X-pipe may also be an issue.
Any help much appreciated!
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Z-4-FUN

N52 centre silencer

Post by Z-4-FUN » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:22 pm

@Davz,

I just picked up this standard OEM exhaust to install on my E86. I've taken measurements for you - see the photos. All measurements are in cm.

Davz wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 am Liam, if it's not too much trouble, when you get chance could you measure the silencer? I'm replacing the centre box with an X-pipe but also want to put in a mid resonator to keep drone to a minimum. I have read conflicting threads that a magnaflow 5"x9" will fit, the height being the issue, for me the length with an X-pipe may also be an issue.
Any help much appreciated!

Davz

N52 centre silencer

Post by Davz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 am

@Z-4-fun......that is truly a wondrous sight! Many thanks for going to all that trouble, you are a gent! I have downloaded the images and am using them to send off for quotes for a custom system using the magnaflow 12468 x-pipe. This has saved me scrambling around under the car in the wet horrible weather....brilliant, can't thank you enough!

One question....the end wth the flanges, it looks like the pipes are crushed/kinked, is that damage or as it should be?

Z-4-FUN

N52 centre silencer

Post by Z-4-FUN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:28 am

No problem @Davz, hopefully I'll earn some good karma and fellow members will be able to answer some of my many questions as they arise!

When you mention the areas that appear to be crushed, I assume your are referring to the areas I've highlighted in the below image? If so, in all honesty, I have no idea if these are damage or there by design. I only noticed them today when taking the pics for you, having collected the exhaust only a few days ago and it being tucked away in the garage since. I've not seen another one of these systems in the flesh, so I guess I won't know for sure until my existing one comes off.

They kinda look like damage. Maybe the previous owner crushed them when removing it from their car...

For reference there's also this exhaust for sale on eBay. Again, there looks to be a bit of shadowing in this area which might indicate a similar indentation, but it might just be the light, and to be honest I assume mine is damaged 😭. I probably should have inspected it more thoroughly when I collected it...

Davz wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 am @Z-4-fun......that is truly a wondrous sight! Many thanks for going to all that trouble, you are a gent! I have downloaded the images and am using them to send off for quotes for a custom system using the magnaflow 12468 x-pipe. This has saved me scrambling around under the car in the wet horrible weather....brilliant, can't thank you enough!

One question....the end wth the flanges, it looks like the pipes are crushed/kinked, is that damage or as it should be?
Last edited by Z-4-FUN on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z-4-FUN

N52 centre silencer

Post by Z-4-FUN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 am

I'll be interested to know what results you get with your system. I collected my coupe about 6 months ago. I love it, but a previous owner had the back box modified to remove the internal baffles. The extra noise is fun when driving enthusiastically, but it gets tiresome for motorway driving.

It seems there's a compromise to be made with these things... and a degree of trial and error. A £300 system made up by a local exhaust shop might sound great, but it might sound horrible. Likewise with the £1k off the shelf systems from Eisenmann etc, it may be money well spent, but that's a lot of money to commit to something that's hard to try before you buy, and that I might not actually enjoy.

That's what drove me to pickup this second hand OEM system. At least this will give me a base line to work from. Then, if I manage to track down a system I can confidently commit to, my wallet may get a little lighter.

dhobbs

N52 centre silencer

Post by dhobbs » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am

Z-4-FUN wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 am I'll be interested to know what results you get with your system. I collected my coupe about 6 months ago. I love it, but a previous owner had the back box modified to remove the internal baffles. The extra noise is fun when driving enthusiastically, but it gets tiresome for motorway driving.

It seems there's a compromise to be made with these things... and a degree of trial and error. A £300 system made up by a local exhaust shop might sound great, but it might sound horrible. Likewise with the £1k off the shelf systems from Eisenmann etc, it may be money well spent, but that's a lot of money to commit to something that's hard to try before you buy, and that I might not actually enjoy.

That's what drove me to pickup this second hand OEM system. At least this will give me a base line to work from. Then, if I manage to track down a system I can confidently commit to, my wallet may get a little lighter.
What have you done with the modified back box? I might be interested in it depending on what's been done.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Z-4-FUN

N52 centre silencer

Post by Z-4-FUN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:31 am

dhobbs wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am What have you done with the modified back box? I might be interested in it depending on what's been done.
The old exhaust is still on the car for the minute. I still need to find someone to fit it.

Liam22

N52 centre silencer

Post by Liam22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm

I didn't get a chance to measure my exhaust yesterday but did just check it for kinks.

One of my manifold pipes is flattened, looks deliberate, not damage. The other is perfectly round.
20200312_130759.jpg
20200312_130759.jpg (211.52 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
FWIW, this is my straight through, centre silencer replacement. Not droney.
20200312_130816.jpg
20200312_130816.jpg (200.29 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

Z-4-FUN

N52 centre silencer

Post by Z-4-FUN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Liam22 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm One of my manifold pipes is flattened, looks deliberate, not damage.
That makes me feel batter about the exhaust I just bought 🙌

@Liam, what was the result of the mid section delete compared to the standard setup?

Liam22

N52 centre silencer

Post by Liam22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:30 pm

Z-4-FUN wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm @Liam, what was the result of the mid section delete compared to the standard setup?
That's what came with the car, done by the previous owner (he was very proud about it), so I have no comparison. I found it to be a pretty good mix of noise when pushing on without any bad habits of resonance or droning under a steady throttle.

I have some video taken in-car (the pushing on variety) which gives a reasonable impression of tone, but not volume.

IainR

N52 centre silencer

Post by IainR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 pm

Liam22 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 pm It's not on the car (so easy to measure length) and not going back on (if that's of interest
Hey Liam. I might be interested in this part if you're selling...? Where are you based?

Liam22

N52 centre silencer

Post by Liam22 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:36 pm

IainR wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 pm Hey Liam. I might be interested in this part if you're selling...? Where are you based?
Sorry, it's gone.