Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone done the VANOS seal upgrade ?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm

I for the life of me couldn’t figure out how to get past the bit in the guides where people say they bend some sort of pliers to get in. Or if I remember right the alternative was to lift the engine. It’s always pissed me off that I couldn’t get past that point.

Interestingly in my recent escapades with the expansion tank I did wonder if taking out the fan would help? You seem to be able to see the front of the engine more. So interesting to see that in the pic above. Maybe something to look at again
Proud Whip owner ;)

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 am

Removing the fan definitely gives you a tonne more access for your tools as you can use extensions to reach through.

In terms of the pliers, they would be referring to pulling out the plastic caps in each side. You really need 90 degress pliers to get in there as with the Z's limited space, you can't reach and pull with normal ones.

@duckman, great job on getting this done! :thumbsup: I guess I was one of the lucky ones who didn't need to remove any of the studs - I was able to lever the bulk head enough to get the unit out.
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

McTyke

Post by McTyke » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:45 am

Fan comes out quite easily. I removed it when doing vanos, thermostat, belts, pulleys and tensioners.
Have now done over 100 miles of "spirited" driving with new vanos (i am still working so commuting 14 miles every day) and it certainly feels livelier. The biggest difference is sport button - no longer just increases revs!
Planning to strip, clean and overhaul old one including bearings and sell it. I could have returned it to supplier in US but cost of carriage would have been close to value of credit I would have got.
Z4 2.5se Auto 2004 Sterling Grey Convertible

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:26 pm

That sounds about right @romrdy ....if the fan isn’t on do you still need the angled pliers? One of the only tools I don’t have. Defoe easy to move the fan out the way
Proud Whip owner ;)

tomrdy

Post by tomrdy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 am

domsz4 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:26 pm That sounds about right @romrdy ....if the fan isn’t on do you still need the angled pliers? One of the only tools I don’t have. Defoe easy to move the fan out the way
yup, you'll still need the angled pliers even with the fan out. No getting around it (pun... intended?) as the bulk head is in the way . :rofl:
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

bearded_ed

Post by bearded_ed » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:51 pm

I'm possibly going to re attempt to do the vanos o-rings this week.

Will be taking the fan out shortly to see if I can even get access with the tools I have now which was my problem last time!
Current E82 125i M Sport :driving:
SOLD :( 04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:14 pm

Maybe I’ll give it another go too
Proud Whip owner ;)