Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Post Reply
bearded_ed
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by bearded_ed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Hiya,

Basically wondering if I really need to go to BMW and get a new cable fitted or can I adjust it in any way?

I have a perfect passenger door and it's just the drivers door handle on the exterior that is just pain in the rear to open. Proper yank to get it open.

I have read that you need to replace the whole thing though :(
'04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

Online
User avatar
skelters
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2157
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:18 pm
Location: Greenock, Scotland

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by skelters » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm

There's a thread on it here...

viewtopic.php?t=33559
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's

mr nurburgring
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: chesterfield

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by mr nurburgring » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm

The cable may have stretched as well as the teeth have become worn away on the part of the handle that contacts the opening mechanism, also the pin that retains the handle to the rest of the enclosure may have worn allowing the handle to move away causing the teeth not to mesh properly.
The only way to diagnose this properly is remove everything and inspect for wear on all the parts I mention.

You can add a split plastic washer to the end of the cable at the locking mechanism end but this will only solve the issue if the cable is stretched. It won’t solve the problem if the other parts are worn.

bearded_ed
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by bearded_ed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 pm

mr nurburgring wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm
The cable may have stretched as well as the teeth have become worn away on the part of the handle that contacts the opening mechanism, also the pin that retains the handle to the rest of the enclosure may have worn allowing the handle to move away causing the teeth not to mesh properly.
The only way to diagnose this properly is remove everything and inspect for wear on all the parts I mention.

You can add a split plastic washer to the end of the cable at the locking mechanism end but this will only solve the issue if the cable is stretched. It won’t solve the problem if the other parts are worn.
Thank you for this! Just confirming to me that I'm actually going to just have to strip the door apart and see. Glad there is a possible fix for a stretched cable with a washer. But I'll have to get in there and see first.
'04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

bearded_ed
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by bearded_ed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 pm

skelters wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm
There's a thread on it here...

viewtopic.php?t=33559
Cheers skelters! A good read.
'04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

mr nurburgring
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: chesterfield

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by mr nurburgring » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 pm

I have done this job a few times I did pop a couple of videos on YouTube about this issue. Search BMW Z4 sticking doors. Give me a pm if you need help getting it apart.

bearded_ed
Member
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by bearded_ed » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 pm

mr nurburgring wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 pm
I have done this job a few times I did pop a couple of videos on YouTube about this issue. Search BMW Z4 sticking doors. Give me a pm if you need help getting it apart.
Are you "Steve kitchen"? Cheers!
'04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

mr nurburgring
Member
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: chesterfield

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by mr nurburgring » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Yes

mjennings23
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Exterior Door Handle Cable Tightening?

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:55 am

How handy this has come up, starting to notice it a bit on mine too. Will have a look once the weather becomes a bit more hospitable outside!

Post Reply