Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service interval discrepancy

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mark1882

Post by mark1882 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi
I have a 03 plate zed with circa 70k on the clock.
There is a discrepancy between the service indicator on the dashboard display and the the service history booklet. I have only had the car 6 months.

The indicator on the dash shows that the next service should be an oil service whereas the service history booklet shows that the next service should be inspection 2.

So my question is, does the service indicator on the dash automatically go forward to the next service irrespective or can it be altered manually to indicate any specific next service, irrespective of the service that has just been carried out. Or is it more likely that the garage that did the service just ticked the wrong box.

I know that the safe option is to go and have the inspection 2 undertaken to get the service booklet in line with the dash indicator, but if the dash indicator can be manipulated this may not be necessary.

The other information is that the service booklet shows the last inspection 2 service was at circa 58k miles, oil service at 61k miles and inspection 1 at 63.5k miles

Any thoughts/ comments would be welcome.

Thanks
Mark

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Iirc its oil change then inspection 1 then oil change and then inspection 2 in that order
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 pm

I think the Z4 is a fairly stupid car and just counts down to the next oil change and doesn't really deal with service I and service II.
Anyway, just ignore it and do an annual oil and filter change.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Go by the book or calculate what you believe it should be. The service indicator on the car may not have been reset, or not set to the right one.

As you say an inspection 2 would cover all bases though if you are concerned.

If mileage is low it may have only have an oil service every 2 years instead of alternating. I had inspection 2 on mine in 2015 then oil in 2017 and oil again in 2019 as I’d only covered around 8k. Will probably have inspection 2 done next time in 2021.