Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

front engine cowl removal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Allan280

Post by Allan280 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi
I have a E85 M roadster and the metal plate into which the bonnet catch locates needs refinishing ,to do this I need to remove the plastic cowl cover at the front of the engine bay to give better access to the metal plate.
The cowl is secured with two different torx fixings around the parameter of the cowl which is fine ,but I note that the are two larger plastic torx fixings set back in the cowl by feeling through the hole in the cowl I can feel that these fixings have a course pitch thread to them.
The question is what are they for ? Can I remove the cowl with the parameter fixings referred to above without touching the two fixings without disturbing anything underneath ?
From what I can see the two fixings could be there to support the cowl on the underlying structure and to make it rigid once the parameter fixings are secured. Is this correct ?

Thank you

Regards

AllanImage[/img]

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Just leave the 2 large one I and remove the small ones they are screw in plastic expanding rivets so need to be pulled out you will see once you have done one

Allan280

Post by Allan280 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi
Thanks for that reply so I can undo all the perimeter screws and lift the cowl off with the two large screws in place ?

Is there nothing fastened to the two rivet screws.

Thank you.

Allan

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:02 am

My car is 120 mile away from me

As I remember there are a few smalll screws and two steel torx screws to remove the largest possibly plastic ones stay in and the whole thing lifts off it is quite easy and straight forward

Allan280

Post by Allan280 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:53 am

Hi

Thanks job for the weekend if it warms up a bit.

Regards

Allan