Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Laid Up / SORN car insurance - Z4

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
georgekitchen7

Post by georgekitchen7 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:01 am

Hi guys,

I’m going to garage my Z4 over the winter months so will SORN it.

Does anyone else do this and get “Laid Up” car insurance? When it comes to Spring/Summer, I’ll then swap cars over and put my “winter” one in the garage.

How much do you pay and who do you find gives he best quote? (Just had quote from Adrian Flux for c. £200 for the year, which seems steep! I was expecting around the £100 mark).

Thanks for your advice!

George
2006 E85 3.0si Manual, Titanium Silver, Red Leather, Gunmetal MV2s, Piano Black, ZHP.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:49 am

I just leave my normal insurance running - I pay about £350 a year so six months full cover when it’s locked away over winter is effectively £175.

If you consider what depreciation you’re suffering then it’s not a lot!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

I wouldn’t have thought there would be a great saving by altering your insurance,, you would still need cover in case there was a fire or it was stolen
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:05 pm

If you have another car try putting the Zed on classic car insurance. I have 3 cars on my classic policy for less than £500 including European breakdown cover.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Sure there was a thread along these lines last autumn (try a search) and one issue was that some insurance firms move you from fully comp to 3PFT when you SORN your car - I checked with my company for my classics and cover stayed fully comp but you only need to trip entering your garage and dent the bonnet and you're on your own!

Make sure you get the cover you want with a 'laid up' policy or even keeping your 'normal' policy and just SORNing the car.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:31 pm Sure there was a thread along these lines last autumn (try a search) and one issue was that some insurance firms move you from fully comp to 3PFT when you SORN your car - I checked with my company for my classics and cover stayed fully comp but you only need to trip entering your garage and dent the bonnet and you're on your own!

Make sure you get the cover you want with a 'laid up' policy or even keeping your 'normal' policy and just SORNing the car.
Think that was by Number5. The issue was his insurance said he wouldn’t be covered if there was no road tax in place. This was with Admiral who I am also with, yet they told me the opposite which I got in writing. Admiral then relented with him.

I pay about £160 per year so no point even looking at laid up cover.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 pm

srhutch wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:31 pm Sure there was a thread along these lines last autumn (try a search) and one issue was that some insurance firms move you from fully comp to 3PFT when you SORN your car - I checked with my company for my classics and cover stayed fully comp but you only need to trip entering your garage and dent the bonnet and you're on your own!

Think that was by Number5. The issue was his insurance said he wouldn’t be covered if there was no road tax in place. This was with Admiral who I am also with, yet they told me the opposite which I got in writing. Admiral then relented with him.

I pay about £160 per year so no point even looking at laid up cover.
Yea it was Number5 who started the thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=111494&hilit=sorn+insurance

I know my classics are fully comp even if SORNed but I'm sure it will help other forum members if these firms that reduce cover automatically with SORN are identified. I was worried that if I drop something on the car in the garage F&T won't cover it - for example a member of a local car club shut his garage door a bit too hard and an item hanging up dripped onto the bonnet which was dented so badly it had to be replaced!

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Yes, Admiral's line was that the car was only insured if "Road Legal" and as it wasn't taxed, they said it wasn't Road Legal and therefore not insured, whilst SORN'd in my garage !
As Hutch says, due to inconsistencies between our two policies , they have agreed to cover mine whilst SORN'd but probably not everyone else's
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

georgekitchen7

Post by georgekitchen7 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks all for your posts!

In the end, went with Lancaster Insurance brokers, full year laid up cover £100 on the nose, not too bad!

Apparently I can “add miles later” midterm, but not convinced, but we’ll see!
2006 E85 3.0si Manual, Titanium Silver, Red Leather, Gunmetal MV2s, Piano Black, ZHP.