Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bearded_ed
Member
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by bearded_ed » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Hiya,

My car is 15 years old and has done 90k miles, so I think it's probably worth budgeting for a suspension refresh... Trouble is, I'm not really sure what that means!

What do I need to look at and replace?

I'm 99% sure I have M-Sport suspension on my 108s.

There's an occasional klunk on full lock too which might be related.
'04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

Online
User avatar
lucasxdiniz
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am
Location: Windsor/Nottingham
Contact:

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by lucasxdiniz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Mainly shocks and springs. At that mileage bump stops and top mounts are most likely ok, but they're cheap enough and you might as well do it, specially if you're getting some knocking from the suspension.

Most here refresh/upgrade to a Bistein B4/Eibach set up. Eibach springs are progressive, so they are softer over small road imperfections, leading to a better ride; when pushed they're stiffer, resulting in less roll. B4s are apparently equivalent to the M-Sport shocks, and Bilstein say they are fine for a drop of (up to) 30mm (Eibachs give a ~15mm drop all around from M-Sport ride height, and ~30 from SE).

I don't have parts numbers, but your number plate will get you far enough in most websites. I personally used autodoc.co.uk to buy shocks and springs (~£400). If you want part numbers: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

If you buy top mounts buy Lemforder ones (OEM), as some have reported knocking from other brands such as Meyle. I used eBay for these as they were more reasonably priced there.
3.0si Sport E86: Montego Blue | Individual Champagne Interior | Bilstein B4s | Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Geo | Asymmetric 5s | M-Tec Drilled Discs | GreenStuff Pads | OEM Black Grill | ZHP | Morimoto Bi-Xenon | MM Exhaust

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Only the rear Meyle HD top mounts 'knock' apparently, so I fitted Lemforder rear top mounts and Meyle HD for everything else. I got my B4s from a German supplier on Ebay. He has a set of 4 now for £318 + £15 post :thumbsup: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2852757852
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / Matching Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / DLV Backbox / Carbon-wrapped Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / De-tango'd !

Online
User avatar
lucasxdiniz
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am
Location: Windsor/Nottingham
Contact:

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by lucasxdiniz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

patriot66 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Only the rear Meyle HD top mounts 'knock' apparently, so I fitted Lemforder rear top mounts and Meyle HD for everything else. I got my B4s from a German supplier on Ebay. He has a set of 4 now for £318 + £15 post :thumbsup: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2852757852
I read that too, but thought I would go safe and just use Lemforder all around.

I've just checked how much I paid for the shocks: £278.58 inc VAT, free shipping (>£150) - ordered on the 2nd of August and they arrived yesterday.

edit: £135.37 (VAT included) for the Eibach Pro kit. £35 for all four top mounts.
3.0si Sport E86: Montego Blue | Individual Champagne Interior | Bilstein B4s | Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Geo | Asymmetric 5s | M-Tec Drilled Discs | GreenStuff Pads | OEM Black Grill | ZHP | Morimoto Bi-Xenon | MM Exhaust

User avatar
Davz
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 pm
Location: Wellington, Shropshire

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by Davz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm

You will need to replace the front top mounts, mine were completely shot, with about 2mm play in the bearings, that is at 53k miles, yours at 90k?
The rears on mine were ok but I still replaced them...rubber does perish with time.
2006 2.5, orange led footwell lights, Blue led boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 stainless gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M-sport pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline arb's. Roof motor relocated.

User avatar
z4pilot
Member
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 pm
Location: Lytham, Lancs

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by z4pilot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:43 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Most here refresh/upgrade to a Bistein B4/Eibach set up. Eibach springs are progressive, so they are softer over small road imperfections, leading to a better ride; when pushed they're stiffer, resulting in less roll. B4s are apparently equivalent to the M-Sport shocks, and Bilstein say they are fine for a drop of (up to) 30mm (Eibachs give a ~15mm drop all around from M-Sport ride height, and ~30 from SE).
I think the B4s are roughly the equivalent of the SE OEM shocks - the B6 and B8 are uprated to M-Sport (and possibly beyond). The slightly softer shock is the reason most have plumped for B4s to improve the ride quality.
2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather, Piano Black interior trim

Online
User avatar
lucasxdiniz
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am
Location: Windsor/Nottingham
Contact:

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by lucasxdiniz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm

z4pilot wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:43 pm
lucasxdiniz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Most here refresh/upgrade to a Bistein B4/Eibach set up. Eibach springs are progressive, so they are softer over small road imperfections, leading to a better ride; when pushed they're stiffer, resulting in less roll. B4s are apparently equivalent to the M-Sport shocks, and Bilstein say they are fine for a drop of (up to) 30mm (Eibachs give a ~15mm drop all around from M-Sport ride height, and ~30 from SE).
I think the B4s are roughly the equivalent of the SE OEM shocks - the B6 and B8 are uprated to M-Sport (and possibly beyond). The slightly softer shock is the reason most have plumped for B4s to improve the ride quality.
There's a lot of contracting information on here. But from all I read: B6s are the uprated over M-sport, B8s are a shortened B6 to take shorter springs, etc. B12 kit is B8s paired with eibachs. B4s are equivalent to M-sport shocks.
3.0si Sport E86: Montego Blue | Individual Champagne Interior | Bilstein B4s | Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Geo | Asymmetric 5s | M-Tec Drilled Discs | GreenStuff Pads | OEM Black Grill | ZHP | Morimoto Bi-Xenon | MM Exhaust

bz4kev
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:59 pm
Location: wirral

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by bz4kev » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 pm

:| just a note regarding bilstein b4 suspension struts I contacted bilstein uk on monday regarding part numbers as I was potentially going to buy the set that was advertised on here last week I was asked where these bilsteins were purchased I was led to believe they were from autodoc.The rep from bilstein uk told me that they purchased a set from autodoc and did a bench test on them and the results were shocking failed broken welds and bent tubes the rep stated they believed that they were fake copies and that I should be very careful were I buy them from.Dont know if this was a sales pitch but have found a few articles regarding fake bilstein kits :!: these could cause a danger to life potentially :!: :thumbsdown: be careful guys
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:15 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm
patriot66 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:23 pm
Only the rear Meyle HD top mounts 'knock' apparently, so I fitted Lemforder rear top mounts and Meyle HD for everything else. I got my B4s from a German supplier on Ebay. He has a set of 4 now for £318 + £15 post :thumbsup: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2852757852
I read that too, but thought I would go safe and just use Lemforder all around.

I've just checked how much I paid for the shocks: £278.58 inc VAT, free shipping (>£150) - ordered on the 2nd of August and they arrived yesterday.

edit: £135.37 (VAT included) for the Eibach Pro kit. £35 for all four top mounts.
That is a good price for the B4s :thumbsup:
I and quite a few others on the forum bought B4s from Germany in March of last year as there was a supply problem in the UK at the time....there wasn't any :D
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / Matching Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / DLV Backbox / Carbon-wrapped Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / De-tango'd !

bearded_ed
Member
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by bearded_ed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm

This is all great advice thank you all.

I'm just wondering what you think about all bushings that I see people mention on here? Is that on things like control arms and stuff?

Should those be done at the same time?
'04 Sterling Grey E85 3.0i Manual.

Jakg
Member
Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:36 am

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by Jakg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 pm

bearded_ed wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm
This is all great advice thank you all.

I'm just wondering what you think about all bushings that I see people mention on here? Is that on things like control arms and stuff?

Should those be done at the same time?
A suspension refresh is changing everything that wears out.

Changing the shocks and springs is just... changing the shocks and springs.

Either you chuck it all in the bin and replace, or try to asses each component for wear. There's a lot of bushes / joints, especially at the back!

I fitted Meyle front top mounts, and Meyle HD rear top mounts and have had no issues (e.g. knocking).

bz4kev
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:59 pm
Location: wirral

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by bz4kev » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Is it possible to use suplex springs with b4 struts :roll:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

User avatar
patriot66
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 am
Location: Mawdesley, Lancashire

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm

bz4kev wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm
Is it possible to use suplex springs with b4 struts :roll:
Fairly certain Suplex are an OEM replacement spring so as long as they are either SE or Sport spec they should be fine with B4s :thumbsup:
'03 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE / SMG / Matching Hardtop / Gloss Black MV3s / Bilstein B4s / DLV Backbox / Carbon-wrapped Interior Trim / Re-Covered Steering Wheel / De-tango'd !

bz4kev
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:59 pm
Location: wirral

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by bz4kev » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:32 pm

patriot66 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm
bz4kev wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm
Is it possible to use suplex springs with b4 struts :roll:
Fairly certain Suplex are an OEM replacement spring so as long as they are either SE or Sport spec they should be fine with B4s :thumbsup:
great thanks :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Jamie25
Member
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Suspension Refresh E85, What's needed?

Post by Jamie25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:30 am

I know when I refreshed mine earlier in the year after lots of research on here I replaced the following as they seemed to be the parts that were most often worn and seemed to offer the best improvement for your time/money:
shocks (sachs) and springs (eibach), topmounts (lemford), then Meyle HD lollipops, front drop links and rear trailing arm bushes. Then a geo by someone who knew what was what.
The difference was night and day, tram lining disappeared and generally felt more planted and dealt with the many many imperfections in the road a lot better.
E85 3.0 M54 Titanium Silver. 88k. Cotteswolds.

Post Reply