Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Montego Blue E86 is Long Gone - Z4MC Diff Rebuild

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Tommo61

Montego Blue E86 Brought Back to its Former Glory

Post by Tommo61 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Great thread! What products did you use on the seats to clean and repair the cracking?
E85 3.0l si auto Midnight/Beige
E85 3.0l si man Sapphire/Beige (gone)

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Tommo61 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 pm Great thread! What products did you use on the seats to clean and repair the cracking?
To clean:

AutoGlym's Interior Shampoo
Leather Brush
Drill attachment

Restoration:

I chose a furniture clinic kit with colour matched dye
This leather preserver after cleaning and restoring the leather
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

Tommo61

Post by Tommo61 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:37 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:27 pm
Tommo61 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 pm Great thread! What products did you use on the seats to clean and repair the cracking?
To clean:

AutoGlym's Interior Shampoo
Leather Brush
Drill attachment

Restoration:

I chose a furniture clinic kit with colour matched dye
This leather preserver after cleaning and restoring the leather
Thanks, will give it a go! :thumbsup:
E85 3.0l si auto Midnight/Beige
E85 3.0l si man Sapphire/Beige (gone)

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:49 pm

Tommo61 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:37 pm Thanks, will give it a go! :thumbsup:
Good luck! Post the results. :P
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

Stretch_Blanco

Post by Stretch_Blanco » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Then the steering wheel... I spent a weekend refurb'ing the steering wheel trim and the following Monday drove (trimless) to Royal Steering Wheel to get put the newly refurb'ed trim into a newly re-trimmed steering wheel.

Final result (bad photo):

Interior with new centre console trim, refurbed steering wheel and a custom shortened gaiter to match the steering wheel (i.e champagne stitching):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a fantastic idea! I never even thought of that. My wheel is totally wrecked and I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new wheel! Not anymore, that looks amazing!
Steering wheel.jpeg
Steering wheel.jpeg (126.49 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Steering wheel3.jpeg
Steering wheel3.jpeg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Steering wheel1.jpeg
Steering wheel1.jpeg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Just bought last week and was actually thinking about creating a thread just like you have done here! Great job, what an amazing Z4!

Stretch_Blanco

Post by Stretch_Blanco » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 pm

No, I didn't find it difficult, it was just very time consuming. I started cleaning at 6:30pm Tue and finished at 4am Wed. I did clean the interior and other bits between each dye application (15min between each application) - the driver's seat probably took around 10 applications or so to look perfect.
[/quote]

What dye did you use?

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Fri May 01, 2020 12:23 pm

The wheel looks awesome. Very classy. And the gaiter! Did Royal do that as well?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm

How did you clean the inside of the headlights?
I assume they were left on the car. What did you have to remove to get inside them.

Car looks great by the way. :thumbsup:
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Fri May 01, 2020 3:04 pm

Stretch_Blanco wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:04 pm
What a fantastic idea! I never even thought of that. My wheel is totally wrecked and I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new wheel! Not anymore, that looks amazing!

Just bought last week and was actually thinking about creating a thread just like you have done here! Great job, what an amazing Z4!
Oh deary me that steering wheel has got to be the worse one I've ever seen. Hopefully you've at least deep cleaned it for now! Please do post the results once you refurb it.
Stretch_Blanco wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 pm What dye did you use?
Furniture clinic colour matched restoration kit.
Z4C_er wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:23 pm The wheel looks awesome. Very classy. And the gaiter! Did Royal do that as well?
No, Royals charge way too much for a gaiter - £60 or so. There's a company on ebay J-F-Customs that I've used a few times and never disappointed me. I saw they had prepared gaiters with contrast stitching for the Z4 already (here), so I messaged them and asked for the stitching to be in cream and to make the gaiter shorter by 1", I was charged £5 extra and a few days later I was very pleased with what I received. So overall £25 and that includes the handbrake sleeve as well (yet to install that one...)

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Fri May 01, 2020 3:06 pm

dhobbs wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm How did you clean the inside of the headlights?
I assume they were left on the car. What did you have to remove to get inside them.

I removed the projector from the headlight housing to change it to a Morimoto unit and through the opening I managed to clean some of the inside of the headlight. I'm not happy with it still, so over summer I'll split them to clean everything properly and paint it black.

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Fri May 01, 2020 3:28 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:04 pm No, Royals charge way too much for a gaiter - £60 or so. There's a company on ebay J-F-Customs that I've used a few times and never disappointed me. I saw they had prepared gaiters with contrast stitching for the Z4 already (here), so I messaged them and asked for the stitching to be in cream and to make the gaiter shorter by 1", I was charged £5 extra and a few days later I was very pleased with what I received. So overall £25 and that includes the handbrake sleeve as well (yet to install that one...)
Nice. I guess the 'cream' stitching fairly closely matches the steering wheel? Not that you could ever directly compare the two, as they will never be next to each other.

Thanks for the link.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Fri May 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:28 pm Nice. I guess the 'cream' stitching fairly closely matches the steering wheel? Not that you could ever directly compare the two, as they will never be next to each other.
Thanks for the link.
I keep saying cream, but it's 'champagne'. I could actually compare both side by side before I installed the gaiter, perfect match, so I guess they used the same thread/supplier. Quite close to the actual colour of the seats as well, but not perfect if you compare it against the seats, but once installed I can't tell the difference.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri May 01, 2020 5:54 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:06 pm
dhobbs wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm How did you clean the inside of the headlights?

I removed the projector from the headlight housing to change it to a Morimoto unit and through the opening I managed to clean some of the inside of the headlight. I'm not happy with it still, so over summer I'll split them to clean everything properly and paint it black.
Thanks. Mine definitely need a good wipe on the inside. My other half’s car has got a cobweb inside her headlight, no sign of the spider though 😀
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

dougie1142

Post by dougie1142 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:59 pm

This is a great thread and really motivating to sort out the little details.

Sub'd!

PaulHR

Post by PaulHR » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am

Great thread, I now feeling the need to do more restoration to my coupe. :D
Z4 E86 si M Sport, Black Sapphire. (Daily).
Triumph Thruxton R 1200 (makes me smile) :D