Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Montego Blue E86 is Long Gone - Z4MC Diff Rebuild

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
z4pilot

Bringing a Montego Blue E86 to its Former Glory

Post by z4pilot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:22 am

Snap!
interior.JPG
interior.JPG (117.07 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks!
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

gerryp

Post by gerryp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 pm

Snap again
Attachments
sss.jpg
sss.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 2770 times

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm

30 E86s in the UK with this colour combination :)
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:37 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm 30 E86s in the UK with this colour combination
I just looked at tony's database - according to that there were only 4 Manual Montego Coupes with Champagne leather and Piano Black.

And 3 of them are on this thread!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Felix79

Post by Felix79 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:40 pm

I can understand your lust for the E86. I really love having my E85 M, but if I could get an E86 M I would do it without a second thought. The C pillar and sloping rear just makes them look so much nicer than the roadster. I even considered getting a blue E86 3.0 that was for sale on here, as it was my favourite shape in my favourite colour, but the lure of the S54 was too strong for me to have settled for anything else. Enjoying this thread and look forward to future updates.

Lambpie

Post by Lambpie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Looks like you’re doing a great job bringing this back - cant believe someone sold it like that!! My self respect struggles to deal with that!!
Interested to see how the door armrest gets sorted - how are you thinking about solving that?
Now..... 2007 3.0si Coupe, Montego Blue
Gone... 2008 3.0si Coupe, Stratus Grey (twice)

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:40 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:37 pm I just looked at tony's database - according to that there were only 4 Manual Montego Coupes with Champagne leather and Piano Black.

And 3 of them are on this thread!
That's weird. When I check, I get 30. I think I chose all the right options as my Vin is there, one of the last ones too.

Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne | BC Racing RS Coilovers | Powerflex Arms | 4.1 FD

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:50 pm

Lambpie wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:45 pm Looks like you’re doing a great job bringing this back - cant believe someone sold it like that!! My self respect struggles to deal with that!!
Interested to see how the door armrest gets sorted - how are you thinking about solving that?

Neither can I, to be honest.

The current one is as good as it's going to get as far as 'fixing' goes. I glued the cracks together, filled and dyed the filler. It looks better than how it was, and my elbow can now rest comfortably on the door card, but still looks crap. I have two options:

1. Buy a new door card and swap the leather inserts using this method: https://zroadster.org/threads/bmw-z4-re ... rds.18516/
2. Find someone who does automotive trim upholstery and get some elbow/arm rest pads done in black leather and glue it there. I don't think this would look better than just the black plastic, but it would be more comfortable and save me a lot of time as option 1 seems to be rather time consulting and it really isn't the sort of thing I like doing.

I'll probably decide this weekend on what to do. But probably buy a new door card, as the companies I found that could make me some leather pads did not take me seriously as it's probably too small of a job for them. Specially JW Auto Trim in Banbury who was very arrogant about it and treated me rather rudely.

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 am

Some very simple/quick jobs to improve the looks of my E86:

Swapped the grey grill with the black grills from my E85, new genuine front BMW badge, and I removed the fog to wash them inside with a toothbrush, then dried them in the oven at 100˚ for 15min and drilled 3 holes in each fog (from experience with my E85 this will make sure they stay clear even in rainy weather).

Washed the exhaust tip with steel wool, and fixed the exhaust hanger:

g3org3y

Post by g3org3y » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Great work on the seats, night and day difference! (Lovely colour combo btw). What product do you use for continued conditioning of the leather? I used to use Gliptone Liquid Leather, wasn't sure what's best on the type of leather used in the E85.

I note your Joie baby child seat. Attached via Isofix or via seatbelt?
2007 Z4 3.0Si Sport. Manual, Montego Blue :driving:

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:11 pm

g3org3y wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 pm Great work on the seats, night and day difference! (Lovely colour combo btw). What product do you use for continued conditioning of the leather? I used to use Gliptone Liquid Leather, wasn't sure what's best on the type of leather used in the E85.

I note your Joie baby child seat. Attached via Isofix or via seatbelt?
The seat was the previous owner's. I don't think this car will see child seats under my ownership, but the passenger seat does have ISOfix, I think.

I use this leather 'preserver' to protect the seats after cleaning them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's a brilliant product, much better than Meguiars stuff I used before.

lucasxdiniz

Post by lucasxdiniz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:24 pm

This week I also cleaned the engine bay prior to working on it.

The previous owner took no care when pouring oil into the engine and spilled oil everywhere! Took me some 6 hours to clean everything, now I can observe the rocker cover to see if there's any leaks from it (I suspect there's a leak from the valvetronic motor gasket).

I also managed to DIY the Bank 2 Sensor 2 Lambda sensor (hardest one to get to), whilst down there I also did the CDV delete. The engine is much smoother now that it's no longer in emergency mode, no more misfires, and no engine lights! Shifting is also much, much improved! Rev matching is so much easier now, and I can get it right 100% of the time, whereas before it was more like 40%.

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Love the dedication!
Pretty good looking car you've got there!! :thumbsup:
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 pm

lucasxdiniz wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:40 pm That's weird. When I check, I get 30. I think I chose all the right options as my Vin is there, one of the last ones too.
Ah, that makes sense now. You have the "INDIVIDUAL TEILLEDER CHAMPAGNE" - I was looking at the "INDIVIDAUL WLKNAPPA CHAMPAGNE"! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black