Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Grandfatherd in Carly Adapter users....

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Kap'nZ4

Post by Kap'nZ4 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Awhile back Carly grandfathered in those of of us that had the Generation II adapter for the full version. Made it worth the buy at the time, tho it is somewhat limited in what it can do.

After these last two updates I cant connect to it.
Am I the only one having issues? Is it bricked now? Forcing me to go the yearly sub, if so they can piss off.
God saw me fit enough to drive it. It's my responsibility to drive it the way its meant to be drove. (All Roads Open.) Mods and fixes are mounting and I don't care, as it will be drove come hell or high water. :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Fkrs got me too when I updated iOS.

Still have an old (for life) version on an ipad 3 that works fully cos i havent updated iOS and not sure if I'm missing out on any spectacular, indispensible updated app features tbh.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 am

Chris_D wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 pm Fkrs got me too when I updated iOS.

Still have an old (for life) version on an ipad 3 that works fully cos i havent updated iOS and not sure if I'm missing out on any spectacular, indispensible updated app features tbh.
That doesn’t sound right, I’ve just clicked on my Carly app & it says it now works on Android & iOS. It’s now called Carly 2.0 :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:27 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 am

That doesn’t sound right, I’ve just clicked on my Carly app & it says it now works on Android & iOS. It’s now called Carly 2.0 :?
Rob
Same here. There was some rubbish about needing to login or register again, but since I had originally just logged in with my Google account, I did it again and it seemed happy with that. I'm also using the cable I got from a US supplier (nothing to do with Carly, link is around this forum somewhere - was expensive but has worked flawlessly on my E85 and E89 so I think worth it).
Can anyone explain what the BT adaptor gives you that the cable doesn't? I think there was some need for iOS users to go with a wifi adaptor as well wasn't there? Always used Android with Carly so haven't run into any adaptor issues (so far...)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 am

enzed4 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:27 am
Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:09 am

Rob
Same here. There was some rubbish about needing to login or register again, but since I had originally just logged in with my Google account, I did it again and it seemed happy with that. I'm also using the cable I got from a US supplier (nothing to do with Carly, link is around this forum somewhere - was expensive but has worked flawlessly on my E85 and E89 so I think worth it).
Can anyone explain what the BT adaptor gives you that the cable doesn't? I think there was some need for iOS users to go with a wifi adaptor as well wasn't there? Always used Android with Carly so haven't run into any adaptor issues (so far...)
You have to purchase separately on itunes and playstore.
There was a grace period for early adopters to be grandfathered into a life subscription but this relied on you being on latest version of ios.
If you updated ios after the grace period you would not be able to update carly in time to benefit from the grace period.
Having an old ipad not supporting the latest ios i was therefore locked into the old version of carly and hence unable to benefit from the grandfather scheme.
I found this out when a client company gifted me an iphone, to which i installed the latest version of carly and found out i would have to re-subscribe, yearly.
So I have an older, fully functional version of carly which works for life on an old ipad with an old version of ios.
If I update it its gonna cost me yearly.
If I leave it it will be free for life but obviously I’m stuck at that version of carly.
No big deal if you have inpa/dis, torque pro etc.
:|
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:54 pm

i think they are backing themselves into a corner with this concept of blocking out the free for lifers, slick manouvering accepted but with many giving it free elsewhere.. however. we are pretty street sharp, the masses might buy it still, but there is a limit to how many ford modeo owners ect want to lay out this much dosh. As i said, i paid full retail but i doubt i will pay again next year.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:33 pm

I also have the lifer option for Carly.

Version 30.08
Android version 9

Using the Carly Bluetooth adapter and it's all working.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

dgm

Post by dgm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I’ve changed devices and always updated the app to the latest iOS version and still have the non subscription version. On the last two updates for the adapter itself, the adapter was bricked. On both occasions I’ve contacted Carly and been given replacement adapters FOC.
Last edited by dgm on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm

You should contact Carly and see what they say.

I had to remove and reinstall the app after the new version came out last year.

It is updated occasionally via the android updates but always works. Will make sure it still works when I leave work as it's been two weeks since I used it.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

skelters

Post by skelters » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Checked Carly and it's all working!

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 pm

I have fallen into the Carly trap by not knowing all the facts first. I bought a Carly gen 2 last week for £45 , downloaded the life app only to find you can do Jack s**t with that and the full version would be needed at £55 per year :( Robbing bar stewards
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Kap'nZ4

Post by Kap'nZ4 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:20 pm

skelters wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:13 pm You should contact Carly and see what they say.

I had to remove and reinstall the app after the new version came out last year.

It is updated occasionally via the android updates but always works. Will make sure it still works when I leave work as it's been two weeks since I used it.
I did and they asked for the PO number as were looking to send me a new adapter..... I looked and that info got deleted sometime back. I could tell them the date of purchase, cost, but the po number is gone. No reply from them since. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
God saw me fit enough to drive it. It's my responsibility to drive it the way its meant to be drove. (All Roads Open.) Mods and fixes are mounting and I don't care, as it will be drove come hell or high water. :D

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 am

Carly is about to get their comeuppance. OBDeleven, a fantastic tool for VAG cars (VW/Audi), is in the process of writing BMW software for their device. They don't do this subscription nonsense and it's a FANTASTIC tool right now. If they can replicate their great user interface and utility over to BMW, they will have a winner on their hands and Carly will be in a world of hurt, and will be forced to get competitive.

https://obdeleven.com/en/home/62-pro-pa ... 87813.html
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:30 am

KevinC wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 am Carly is about to get their comeuppance. OBDeleven, a fantastic tool for VAG cars (VW/Audi), is in the process of writing BMW software for their device. They don't do this subscription nonsense and it's a FANTASTIC tool right now. If they can replicate their great user interface and utility over to BMW, they will have a winner on their hands and Carly will be in a world of hurt, and will be forced to get competitive.

https://obdeleven.com/en/home/62-pro-pa ... 87813.html
Very interesting - it looks good.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Here's a good demo of OBDeleven on VAG. Note that this is the v1 of the product - v2 is coming out now and is what will support BMW. Will also finally be iOS-compatible.

https://youtu.be/9Uwc_WL-s-Q
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R