Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Salvage Auction Rebuild

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi All,

IU've just joined and popped a poast over on the newbie forum. I picked up a Z4 05 2.2 from a salvage auction and it arrived on my drive today. I'm hoping it's a fixer and i'm sure i'll need some help. I'll run a bit of a project thread on it here. Initial thoughts are:
  • New Front Bumper
  • An all over clean - tips welcome!
  • Fix the flat tyre so i can move it
  • figure out why the bonnet won't shut
  • check some rather worrying under carriage damage when it's on some stilts
I need to jack the front but its all plastic underneath. Where are the jack points at the front of the car?
Attachments
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0729.jpg (155.85 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5773.jpg (325.86 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
IMG_6562.jpg
IMG_6562.jpg (329.37 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm

There is no centre front jack point - you need to use the side jacking points behind the front wheels and get it on axle stands.

Good luck - front end impact + underside damage + bonnet not closing... could all indicate some more serious damage than is immediately apparent !
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Bing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm Good luck - front end impact + underside damage + bonnet not closing... could all indicate some more serious damage than is immediately apparent !
True, but looking at the photos the panels seem to be evenly spaced and no apparent damage - could simply be a faulty hood latch or similar. That said the way the bottom edge of the bumper is split, I would wager it hit a kerb or similar. Good news is all the panels are bolt on/off, so easy to take the wheels off, take the wings off and have a good look around.

Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Bing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm you need to use the side jacking points behind the front wheels and get it on axle stands
Thanks, are these plastic boxes near the front wheel? They have what feels like a bole in them.

Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:21 pm

parabolica wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm Bing wrote: ↑Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm
Good luck - front end impact + underside damage + bonnet not closing... could all indicate some more serious damage than is immediately apparent !
True, but looking at the photos the panels seem to be evenly spaced and no apparent damage - could simply be a faulty hood latch or similar. That said the way the bottom edge of the bumper is split, I would wager it hit a kerb or similar. Good news is all the panels are bolt on/off, so easy to take the wheels off, take the wings off and have a good look around
I think it's gone up an embankment. Lower front bumper damage and mud embedded in the left side Tyres. there's some worrying damage to the underside that i'll get a better look at when it's in axel stands!

skelters

Post by skelters » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Might be that the damage at the front has broken the latch / points for securing the bonnet and that's why it'll not close.

There'll be new / used front ends on eBay.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Nash3vans

Post by Nash3vans » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Good luck with rebuild mate, looks an easy enough repair :thumbsup:
2005 merlot 2.5 auto.313s.e46 m3 front brakes.Strut brace,poly bush’s front, m front bumper,modified grilles,bc racing coilovers,facelift lights all round,modified rear bumper,s/wheel retrimmed, Merc slk seats. scorpion exhaust, many interior mods.

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm

parabolica wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm
Bing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm Good luck - front end impact + underside damage + bonnet not closing... could all indicate some more serious damage than is immediately apparent !
True, but looking at the photos the panels seem to be evenly spaced and no apparent damage - could simply be a faulty hood latch or similar. That said the way the bottom edge of the bumper is split, I would wager it hit a kerb or similar. Good news is all the panels are bolt on/off, so easy to take the wheels off, take the wings off and have a good look around.

Well if you need any parts I have a complete front end (except bumper)

Crash bars, bonnet latches etc,

Let me know if you need anything :)

davros

Post by davros » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Quijibo Jones wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 pm
Bing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm you need to use the side jacking points behind the front wheels and get it on axle stands
Thanks, are these plastic boxes near the front wheel? They have what feels like a bole in them.
Yep, those are the side jacking points. Good luck with the rebuild :thumbsup:
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 pm

synthedup wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm
parabolica wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Well if you need any parts I have a complete front end (except bumper)

Crash bars, bonnet latches etc,

Let me know if you need anything :)
Brilliant, thank you!

Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:20 pm

i've just found the booklets in the glove box. FSH up top 2015, MOT until July and new disc brakes and pads front and rear in march this year!

Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Sorry another question. Does anyone know where i might find the paint scheme/code for the car? there's a bumper on ebay that might be perfect.

Chrisd928

Post by Chrisd928 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm

Paint code should be under the bonnet on a sticker on the drivers wing.
3 number code with a / then another number. mine for instance is 453/5 midnight blue.
links below:

http://www.bmwz4roadster.net/brochure/I ... E86_DE.pdf
http://www.bmwz4roadster.net/bmw_z4_brochure.htm
E86 3.0Si in midnight blue, stubby and csl reps only mods. Currently rebuilding all suspension and drivetrain.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 pm

It will be sterling grey - I *think* the paint code is on a plaque in the engine bay with the build date etc on it, but not 100% sure

Edit - there you go :)
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Quijibo Jones

Post by Quijibo Jones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks!